main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***Official*** AOTC DVD Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthSapient, May 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssorrol

Ssorrol Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2002
    *force push*

2. Farrokh1

Farrokh1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    The UK version had the Jango headbutt on Obiwan removed to obtain a PG rating. Thats it.

3. Ssorrol

Apr 2, 2002
    yes but that includes what they cut out of the US version. why the headbutt?

4. Ssorrol

Apr 2, 2002
    *force push* (again)

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  6. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    The BBFC doesn't like headbutts.

To get a PG rather than a 12 rating in the UK Lucas chose to delete the 1 second headbutt.

7. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    After reading the screenplay in the "Art of Attack of the Clones" and reading the AOTC novel, I'll have to say that A LOT was sacrificed for pacing and excitement. Not only were entire scenes deleted, but HUGE chunks of dialogue were cut. And a lot of them had much significance to the story. This isn't just extra stuff in the novel either, it was in the screenplay too...
    1. This film has been GUTTED of it's politics. One of the biggest things that Jonathan Hales raved about was the political roots of the story. I'm not just talking about the cut scenes of Padme in the senate and the Padme/Ani/Dooku Discussion and subsequent trial. There are many huge chunks of dialogue taken out which explain much of what happened in TPM and AOTC and had Lucas taking some bold political stands regarding business and government (ie. anti free trade).
    2. A lot of this dialogue was from Padme and helped build her character. She is a senator and much of this dialogue was taken away from her character, weakening the development. But equally important, the scenes with her family were taken away which helped explain her feelings for Anakin and reasoned through them. Many thought this was a weak link in the film, and these scenes were crucial to her development. She was more honest with her family and they could tell what she was thinking and that brought out some much-needed development.

All in all, I would hope that Lucas works in the extra dialogue AND deleted scenes back into the film. It will make it a much stronger story. I don't care about how long it takes to get to the next action sequence.

8. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Anything that he feels that has a significant importance to the movie and the saga he will. It must flow with the movie as well. I thought the family scenes should have been left in as well. This could be GL trying to boost DVD sales.

9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    There was also an added scene (ie. done in reshoots) between Padme and Threepio on the homestead. This scene is even included in the screenplay, so I know it was filmed. I believe it was to make up for the removal of the scene where she puts coverings on him. In the revised scene, Threepio comes to her while she is worring about Anakin in the garage and he consoles her and she confides in him that she really cares for Anakin and wishes she could tell him. This would also develop her character better.

I'm thinking the "coverings" scene just didn't work either dramatically or the way it flowed with the grim tusken slaughter scenes, so it was appropriately replaced by this character-building scene. It should go back in.

10. Ssorrol

Apr 2, 2002
    I hate to say this, but for consistency reasons, there may be only 15 more minutes of screenplay actually inserted into the fil on the DVD.
    the movie is 2 hours and 14 minutes add 16 more and its 2hrs and 30mins which is around the length of the OT episodes.

Not to say thats bad but anything else will probably be separate. Lets hope GL decides to go for it and put everything good back in ;)

11. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    "the movie is 2 hours and 14 minutes add 16 more and its 2hrs and 30mins which is around the length of the OT episodes."

Two and a half hours? Which version of the OT films are YOU watching?

From IMDB:

ANH - 121 min.

ESB - 124 min.

ROTJ - 134 min.

and . .

TPM - 133 min.

AOTC - 142 min.

-Otis

12. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    I just can't wait. I bought a big screen TV, and better cables just for the AOTC DVD. I hope they have another making of documentary as I watched it more than TPM with the first DVD. The interviews with AD, the new Owen and Beru from the last VHS release would be nice. They got to talk 20 times more in taht than they did in the movie. Every deleted scene from TPM and AOTC better end up on the ulitamte collection or I will be disappointed.

As for LOTR, 1 hour was great while the other two bored me to death so I don't know if I'll get any copy.

I don't see why people are so exicted about the LOTR DVD when Spidey should be coming out then too.

13. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The headbutt was removed in the UK because of violence issues. It showed a helmeted character headbutting someone without protection on his head. I guess they didn't want children to try the same thing. (I believe I read this on a TFN news story)

I think only essential scenes should be re-inserted onto the DVD, similar to the TPM DVD. The other scenes that slow down the movie too much can be added to the "Extras" disc.

14. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    How about considering this... the movie won't seem slower because it will actually makes more sense!! What I mean is that when you add the extra political and love story pieces back in, it will be even more intriguing because it will hold more meaning.

The way things fit together will make more sense and the political discussion will actually propel the story along and not just act as a side commentary. Padme's and Dooku's characters will be better developed and have more of an impact on the audience. It will draw in the viewer more. Sometimes too much action is boring to me. I need more depth.

After reading the novel, I must say that it was certainly more compelling to understand the political machinactions and how they tie together. Also, the love story is richer and makes more sense since we get more of Padme's side of the story. All of this builds up the tension until the climax at the end of the film where it all comes together. It makes the ending even more worth it.

15. jedi_knight22

jedi_knight22 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    When is the AOTC DVD set to be released?????
    ?[face_plain]

16. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    November 26th . . I think.

-Otis

17. Ssorrol

Apr 2, 2002
    Thanksgiving i think....

damn im always beat ;)

18. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    By the way, I'd love to see some more scenes added to the DVD. The more the merrier.

But I do think that the Tusken slaughter works great just the way it it.

We see the beginning and learn the rest from Anakin's powerful confession. Anything else would lessen the drama, IMHO. That's probably the reason it was cut that way to begin with.

-Otis

19. The_Reek

The_Reek Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Will watching the DVD be as clear as watching it on a Digital projector? Someone said that DVDs were digital, thus, will the DVD that comes out be as clear and brilliant as the Digital threaters Lucas keeps raving about?

20. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    They should be considerably clearer that Digital Projection.

-Otis

21. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I don't know the specifics but DVD has a considerably lower video resolution than that of both 35 - 70mm film and what's projected digitally.

22. OBITWOKENOBI

OBITWOKENOBI Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2001
    The DVD of Clones should be the best DVD out there as far as picture and sound quality.I was reading an article in some Home Theater magazine or somewere back when Menace was coming out on DVD, It said due to Clones being filmed digitaly it would transfer over "pure" meaning no fuzziness around the corners or darkness and no sign of graininess...and the color would be the most vivd seen yet. This comes from being a digital to digital format transfer. I for one after reading that article got ready and have been waiting ....55" wide screen mitsu hd digital big screen 1200+ lines of resolution, toshiba progressive scan DVD player,component video cables(salesman got me the best they make)fiber optic digital sound cables running to 5.1 kenwood theater system ( I dream of owning a THX certified system some day...) It made Menace look good...I cant wait bring me my Clones DVD now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    this can be upped. :)

24. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Interesting. My local newspaper was interviewing a company called "IPIX" who did some work on the Harry Potter DVD.

Anyway, the guy from IPIX being interviewed said that George Lucas spent $10 million filming scenes specifically for the DVD release of AOTC.

I wonder what those scenes are. Hmm...

25. RickJediKnight

RickJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    After reading the script in the Art of Ep2 there are some scenes that hopefully will be included in the DVD.

Scene 007 Where Padme and Palpatine address the senate

Scene 015 Yoda and Mace talking about the prophecy is becoming a reality.

Scene 146 Dooku and Padme talk about releasing Ob1.

Scene 150 The trial on Genosis

Including the above there are 14 cut scenes in the sceenplay from Art of Ep2. Then there is the rumored scene of the Jedi boarding a droid control ship in order to shut down the droids and that would be interesting to see.

Also the chat Between Ob1 in his fighter and Mace before Ob1 leaves for Kamino. Pictures were shown in a past SW Insider.

The more SW scenes/footage the better!

-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.