San A, TX **OFFICIAL** AOTC Review #< SPOILER WARNING># read at your own risk if you have yet to

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Tycho_Celchu-Col, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tycho_Celchu-Col Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, here goes.

I went to see the midnight showing of SW AOTC at Live Oak. I unfortunately missed the "offical" SAFF line up due to work. Seems my time off request never got approved. Oh well, better to see it than not see it at all. Right? Anyway. It rocked.

AOTC was way better than TPM. By Far. While the addition of more one liners into the dialog and the reunion of R2 and 3PO helped to bring back the SW feel, it still failed to capture the feel of the "classic" SW Trilogy. No stones please. LOL

One thing I would like to take issue with is this whole Jar Jar thing. I have heard lots of comment about how the creation of the Empire was all Jar Jar's fault for making the motion that Palpatine should be granted emergency powers.

Granted, he did it. However, he was used. Palpatine was quite the manipulator. Keep in mind that fact that had the Queen not called for the "no-confidence" vote in Volorum, Palpatine would not have been in a position for Jar Jar to have made that goof.

-= steps off the soapbox =-

The whole Jedi fighting beside the clone troopers was cool. As was the duel between Yoda and Dooku. I think Yoda should have killed Dooku, but I can live with the result. Mace kicked some butt as well, however I can't recall a movie other than TPM that Samuel L. Jackson has been in where he has NOT shown just how tough he is.

I can definately see Anakin going south here. He gets moody and whinny too easily. I can see where Luke gets it from. LOL
    If Luke had been struggling with possesive love issues at the same time he was dealing with his whiner attitude, he could have easily been the next Vader.

Best SPFX here HAD to be the Siesmic Charges in the asteroid belt. That was just TOO cool. The Jedi Star Fighter having to dump it's hyper drive sled every time it came IN SYSTEM somewhere was just a little too ala "Warp Shuttle from ST The Motion Picture" for me.

All in all, it was a great flick. Ep 2 has set a pretty high standard now. Ep 3 had better top it. LOL
    Look at it this way, maybe Lucas might go back to original trilogy again and make the "Super Special Edition".

Laters
  2. darthroc247 Jedi Knight

I agree with your review Tycho. I would like to add this though:

1. I think Lucas made the mistake again of killing off a character too early. I started to like Jango Fett and his role was all too short. He did the same in TPM with Darth Maul.

2. The dialogue was missing humor, sarcasm, wittiness, etc.. It seemed like the dialogue didn't allow the actors to really throw emotion into it.

and lastly...
    3. More action!!! Yoda's fight wasn't long enough and they didn't show me that Mace was that bad ass.

But, overall, I really enjoyed it. A solid effort from Mr. Lucas and Episode III should be just right.
  3. JediJSolo Force Ghost

star 4
    Tycho_Celchu-Col: Look at it this way, maybe Lucas might go back to original trilogy again and make the "Super Special Edition".

I think they are. Rumor has it that Lucas is filming even more stuff for the original trilogy?s DVD release.

darthroc247, Anakin wasn?t really supposed to be witty. The kid is Darth Vader, after all. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, had a bunch of witty lines, as did a lot of other characters. We haven?t seen Yoda?s silly side since ESB, but we saw it in this movie. I don?t understand the critics who claim that this movie took itself too seriously. It took Anakin seriously, but the OT took Vader and the Emperor seriously too.

Obviously, Yoda?s scene was awesome. I would have liked to see more out of the Anakin vs. Dooku scene, but I suspect that we will see Anakin truly go all out against Obi-Wan in the next movie, so I?m not too disappointed.

As far as the story was concerned: I loved it. It fit wonderfully into the SW universe (despite what the ill-informed might suggest the movie did to the EU), and we saw a very large number of parallels between the OT and the PT.

Generally, I loved the movie. I?m hesitant to place it above ROTJ on my favorite SW movie list (it couldn?t beat ESB, though), but after seeing it for a second time, I?m considering it.
  4. Tycho_Celchu-Col Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hmmmm, I have not really thought about where I would rank the movies. I would have to say that TPM would rank dead last in whatever list I came up with though. ROTJ is still my favorite and always will be.Just how the others are ordered in that list, I really don't know. LOL
  5. Marko_Fett Jedi Padawan

I Agree with your review bu Lucas, Whats up with the love!?!? I mean you can cover it but man I don't me COVER it! I feel it was sort of like ESB in a way because it was there just to connect 1 and 3 togeather. Besides that AWESOME Movie. And I agree that Jango Died too early in the trilogy.
  6. jedirita Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have heard a lot of people diss the dialogue and say it wasn't witty or funny. Roger Ebert claimed there wasn't one quotable line of dialogue in the whole movie.

Oh, yeah? How about Obi-Wan mind whammying Elan Sleazebaggano, "You want to go home and rethink your life"? How about Yoda chiding Obi-Wan, "Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet. How embarrassing." How about Obi-Wan and Anakin's banter during the Zam Wesell chase? How about Obi-Wan sending the message back to Coruscant, "Scramble Code 5, care of the Old Folks' Home." (Now *that* is funny!) And my all-time favorite line in the movie, Anakin's, "Go back to your drinks; this is Jedi business." (Okay, it's really corny, but I find it hilarious.)

Yes, the "romantic" dialogue was painfully stilted, but did that really surprise anyone? I thought there was far more humor in this one than in Ep 1 for sure, and some of it a lot more subtle, at that.

And for the record, I refuse to rank the movies. In my view, they are all chapters of one over-arching story. When you read a book, you don't say, "I liked chapter 14, but chapter 7 was rather slow." You recognize that different chapters serve different purposes, and together they tell the story. I'm in it for the long haul. Alas, there is only one chapter left!

--Jedi Rita
  7. ObiJuan70 Force Ghost

star 3
    All I can say is . . .

YODA KICKED BOOTIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said on my end :)

MTFBWY

John "ObiJuan" Laurel
  8. darthroc247 Jedi Knight

The force is strong with you, JediRita. You have a masterful sense of the entire scope of the films.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.