main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Arena Fantasy Euro 2008 League Game - Signups begin here

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Spike2002, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm in.

Lineup:

GK: Casillas (ESP, 7.5 mil)
    DF: Mertesacker (GER, 7.5 mil)
    DF: Djourou (SWI, 5.5 mil)
    DF: Corluka (CRO, 6.5 mil)
    DF: Fernando Meira (POR, 7 mil)
    MF: Ronaldo (POR, 14 mil)
    MF: Fabregas (ESP, 10 mil)
    MF: Gattuso (ITA, 6 mil)
    MF: Kranjcar (CRO, 7.5 mil)
    ST: Klose (GER, 11.5 mil)
    ST: Huntelaar (NED, 9.5 mil)
    ST: Pavlyuchenko (RUS, 7 mil)

Total: 95 mil.

Specterace

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Could I start getting a list of usernames to match with teams, please?

Cod Metal Kings - Spike2002
    Krv Cobras - Cobranaconda
    lol@England - Darth_Omega
    Orn's Sexy Sluts - Orn_free_tada
    Jase's Mavericks - Mustafar_66
    Inty's Got Nil - Darth_Integral
    Real Madras -
    Bloc Party - Kyptastic
    Samnabad XI -
    Big Dreamers -
    halchester penguins - halibut
    Die Uber Team - SithLordDarthRichie
    Wolsties Eagles - JediWolst23
    Naboo - Obi Anne
    yankee - yankee (?)
    Zanarkand Abes -

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Real Madras - Kyp
    Bloc Party - Kyptastic
    Samnabad XI -
    Big Dreamers -
    Naboo - Obi Anne
    yankee - yankee (?)
    Zanarkand Abes -

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Real Madras - Kyp
    Bloc Party - Kyptastic
    Samnabad XI -
    Big Dreamers -
    Naboo - Obi Anne
    yankee - yankee 8255
    Zanarkand Abes -

Man, great win by Germany, but harsh for my fantasy squad. Gomez misses two sure goals, Ballack gets robbed by the keeper, and then Podolski, who I had actually swapped in for Gomez for 24 hours before swapping back, gets two.

5. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    With Pepe and Podolski (captain) I'm doing just fine at the moment. I should have given Pepe the captaincy but hindsight is always 20/20. On the other hand I have a Russian goalkeeper and they're playing Spain, what was I thinking. :oops:

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That Spain would do their usual flop?

7. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Yeh but Spain do tend to start their tournaments with a victory before crashing out at the end of the group phase or in the quarter-final. :p

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Well, Omega, I played my wild-card, have Iniesta for Robben.

Really torn about the next match day, am seriously considering switching Podolski for Gomez, especially since I doubt Löw will play Poldi in midfield against Croatia.

And how sad is this: the most points I've gotten from any one player so far is my keeper, Cech. And he wasn't even my Captain.Ribery better light it up tonight.

9. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I'm definitely keeping Poldoski, even if he doesn't play Klose is my substitute.

I'm seriously considering of using my wildcard and replace the keeper with a second or third string keeper just to get some points from Klose. :p

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    And once again my last minute decision making bites me in the butt -- my other choice for replacing Robben was Kuyt. I was sure he'd play though. Man, Iniesta better play a monster game.

As for Podolski, I need to do some serious rearranging, maybe switch to a 4-3-3. It would kill me to dump Gomez though, for emotional reasons. Of course, if he's really going to transfer to Bayern, as is rumored, he's dead to me.

11. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Heh and I need to change my entire midfield because after last night match I can't really rely on the Italians. :p I'm still keeping Ribery though.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, I picked two Italians for my back four figuring they'd stone wall everyone, plus Barzagli was a bargain at 7. Or so I thought.

The real bargain at this point is Boulahrouz at 6.

EDIT: and I was hoping that Ribery would at least get man of the match.

13. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    Wow. My defence (I'm the "Zanarkand Abes") utterly and completely sucked. Two of my guys didn't even play, and no one got a goal. Oh well, at least I got a shutout from Mertesacker. And my attack is looking like bomb city, what with Ronaldo and Krancjar not doing squat, Gattuso getting blasted, and Fabregas possibly not even starting. And my forwards didn't do squat either. I need to change some things.

At least Casillas should get a shutout tomorrow. That is, if Spain don't choke on it.

Specterace

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    GAttuso -- great player in real lie, but in a fantasy match, he won't give you points for anything other than shutouts.

15. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    That's why I rung the changes. I put in Streller for the attack, given that he's Switzerland's best hope for goals and will play inspired for the rest of the tourney (I forgot I had Klose, who got two assists which helped me, and who figures to get more goals later). I brought in Pepe and Senderos for Djourou and Fernando Meira, electing to use the defenders that are actually starting rather than picking the guys who turned out to be reserves. And I took out Gatusso and put in Sanli Tuncay, who's Turkey's best offensive player. I refuse to buy a French player, given that I believe they will flop and get blasted and I already am at the "2" limit for the strongest teams (Portugal, Germany, Spain), with the only Dutch guys worth buying all too expensive and beyond my means (unless I drop Ronaldo, who I think will get a few in the group he's playing in).

My changes:

PEPE for FERNANDO MEIRA
    SENDEROS for DJOUROU
    TUNCAY for GATTUSSO
    STRELLER for PAVLYUCHENKO

We'll see if I get better next time. Hopefully, Aragones will stop being an idiot and actually play Fabregas. Or that Fabregas gets subbed in and scores a brace, leading to Xavi or Silva being dropped in his favor.

Specterace

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A little note on Streller, from someone who followed him while he was at Stuttgart for a few years -- he sucks. Absolutely abysmal. Can't hit the broad side of a barn.

17. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    True, but he's like the only forward out there who's guaranteed a starting spot and costs 5 mil or less. Supposedly, he's Switzerland's "guy to watch", given how they have no one else to partner the now-injured Frei (which makes him first-choice by default). If Switzerland do sneak a win or two, it'll likely be him who scores the match winner.

Specterace

(P.S: I am seriously considering pulling the plug on Ronaldo and re-distributing the points. If he doesn't show up on MD2, I'll certainly have a tough decision for Matchday 3. And if Streller doesn't show, he's like my 3rd striker. I have Huntelaar as my second; but if Huntelaar doesn't get a game, which he should, then he's a candidate for the axe as well. In this constrained period, it's all about the quick hook)

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I definitely need to take Gomez out, I'm sure Podolski will start at forward with Klose vs. Croatia, leaving Gomez on the bench.The question is what to do with Robben -- even if he's healthy for MD2, given how well Kuyt played, MVB may stick with him.And I need to do something on the back line.

19. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    And Fabregas gets a goal. But Casillas didn't get the whitewash... It evens out, I suppose, but it would have been nice to get the whitewash AND the Fabregas goal.

Villa was a monster today. Tell you the truth: if I had known Aragones would go 4-4-2, I would have gotten him as my 2nd striker. I presumed Aragones would play 4-5-1 in the tournament, and since Torres is utterly pants everytime he puts on the colors of the Furia, I thought Fabregas would get goals and starting points.

Instead, it's Villa starting and Fab off the bench. Oh well, win some, lose some. More importantly, Spain look on fire, and Villa looks like the big-ticket item. I hope that Wenger's taking this chance as a business ambassador to watch him and considering that 17 million pound bid Valencia are rumored to be accepting for him. After all, he did say he came to the Euros with his checkbook and willing to buy...

Specterace

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I ended up sticking with Gomez, Löw may stick with the same lineup, and i think he#s due. My transfers:

Koller (9.0) Pavlyuchenko (7.0) 2
    Olić (7.0) Villa (10.5) 2
    Robert Kovač (6.5) Antzas (5.0) 2
    Zambrotta (8.0) Shirokov (6.0) 2

And I switched to a 3-4-3. I took the cheap Greek defender and put him on the bench.

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I was looking at your score from MD1 -- you really didn't do that well, but got monster points from 2 players: Podolski and Pepe.

22. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Yeh, after the first two days my overall ranking was in the 2000. Selecting Pepe was a fluke I admit, selecting Podolski however wasn't. I really screwed in the second bracket games e.g. going for Italy and France, and I knew I should have added Villa in my team (I did now, but I don't think we're going to see another hattrick from him :( )

Anyway I already did my four transfers, no more Italians, replaced them with Dutch players and Villa upfront. :p

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I actually stuck with Barzagli, I figure Italy has a good chance of shutting out Romania, and he's fairly cheap. And I thought the same thing about Villa as you when I picked him.

I also switched my captain from Ballack to Ribery.

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I suck at this, at least I transfered Ibrahimovic to my team, but so far I think that's the only good choice that I've made.

25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Omega, I ended up keeping Robben, I ran out of transfers and figured if he's still hurt, I can use a wild card again. Iniesta ended up giving me 6 points yesterday, not bad. I'd probably use Kuyt next time, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.