main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL** Attack Of The Clones Score Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    it also sounds a lot like the prelude to Hook.

2. The_Cloaked_One

The_Cloaked_One Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    My personal favorites are, "Zam The Assassin And The Chase Through Coruscant" and "Return To Tatooine". "Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale" is also good. It makes me wonder think about what the ending will show us. lol

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    OK, I still haven't heard ALL the tracks, just the Main theme, ATS, Anakin and Padme, Yoda and the Younglings, and Confrontation with Dooku and the finale. I'm now downloading Zam and the Chase, so by the time I finish writing this post, I'll have heard that one, too. ;)

Main Title and the Ambush on Coruscant - Something I'd call "standard Star Wars action music". Something when you listen to it you can say for sure "This is Star Wars." 'Nuff said. I liked it. :)

Across the Stars - Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful bittersweet melody, present throughout the entire score. In some places it reminds me of Leia's theme, in some places it reminds me of Luke and Leia's theme, but overall it stands alone as one of the best romantic themes Williams ever composed. It perfectly captures the spirit of AOTC (or at least the spirit of Anakin and Padme in AOTC). I totally loved it. :D

Yoda and the Younglings - Very cute piece of music. I loved the presence of the familiar themes of Yoda and the Force, intervowen into this very nice piece. The insertion of ATS was interesting and well placed (we'll have to wait to hear the dialogue, though. ;)). I really enjoyed this one.

Anakin and Padme - This one has this very interesting oriental feel to it. I really liked it. Of course, the ATS motif is present and that makes this track beautiful. ;) :D

Confrontation with Count Dooku and the Finale - This was the first piece of AOTC music I ever heard and when you go to the first (or second?) page of this thread you can see how I reacted. ;) :p The beginning sounded a bit like Harry Potter, but I didn't mind it that much. I loved the solo soprano. Somehow it reminded me of LOTR, but that may be just me. :p Anyways, this is one of the most powerful pieces of music in the history of Star Wars and I absolutely loved the Imperial March in it. Truly, this was the best variation of IM ever (IMHO). Awesome ending. I put it on second place in my list of best endings of SW movies (ROTJ SE is the first - and don't argue with me on that, I love it the most! ;)). Beautiful.

Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant - I love the percussions in here. The beginning sounds like the introduction of Darth Maul from TPM combined with the music from ROTJ where Leia in disguise is going to free Han from carbonite. The whole track is very interesting, I love the rythm of it, and the electric guitar fits there perfectly. Also the ending reminds me very much of Leia as Boushh in Jabba's palace. It has the feel of mystery and suspense... I love it. :)

4. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    I keep trying to dowload the tracks on Grokster/Morpheus/Kazaa but I always need more sources! Where can I actually DOWLOAD the music and not just listen to it?

Oh yea, ATS is so awesome! It has such a sad feel to it, though.......does it remind anyone else besides me of some old movie with Charlton Heston in it like "Moses" or "Ben Hur"?

Love the guitar riff on Zam the Assassin and the Chase through Coruscant. :D

5. The_Cloaked_One

Feb 27, 2002
    Fat_Fett, I will Private Message it over where I downloaded them.

6. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    If anyone needs it I have a great link :)

I just heard the guitar part, thank the LORD it was used tastefully, though I could do without it...

Still...I'm a guitar player...and it's cool to hear some of that in Williams' music!

7. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Is Lucas merely a "yes man" when it comes to working with John Williams. Has Lucas ever say "No, I'd like you to approach this theme in a different way"?

Great and memorable themes:

ANH - Luke's theme, Force theme, Leia's theme

ESB - Han/Leia, Imperial March, Yoda theme, Asteroid Field theme

ROTJ - Palpatine theme, Luke/Leia theme, Ewok theme

TPM - Anakin's theme, Duel of the Fates, Trade Federation theme.

AOTC - Across the Stars

I might sound critical of the AOTC soundtrack but I have high hopes for how it sounds IN the film.

:)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    i play clarinet and learned across the stars... if you want to hear it its on my site... check it out

home.attbi.com/~jedi-stalker/ats.wav

its only like 40 seconds long but its the main theme... have fun.

10. chrisw342001

chrisw342001 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
  11. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Okay, I've just realised something about 'Across the Stars'. The first 7 notes of the AOTC love theme are almost exactly the same as the first part of the theme tune for the Russians in the Lucasarts game Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (which I don't think was composed by JW). I haven't played this game in over a year though and I don't have it anymore to check, so I might just be imagining this. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I talking rubbish again? :D

12. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I'm not gonna criticize any of the soundtrack yet because...

1) I'm not comparing it to the OT music...different times.

2) We haven't heard it in the movie yet. For all we know, if we heard "May the Force Be With You" before ANH came out, we might've (god forbid!) thought it was corny.

EDIT: WHOA WHOA WHOA! I just started listening to "Anakin and Padme," and the first five seconds sounds like the "Harry Potter" theme!!

13. chrisw342001

chrisw342001 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
  14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Listening to it now; post my thoughts in a few.

15. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Main Title -- what can I say?

Across the Stars -- It's pretty, but it doesn't blow me away. Far from the best love theme I've ever heard, but far from the worst as well.

Zam -- I usually love action cues, but Zam didn't do much for me. Didn't really like the guitarr bit. Again, this wasn't bad music, but didn't really do much for me either.

Yoda -- I really liked this one, incorporating older themes and new. It worked well.

Departing Coruscant -- Not bad, but not entirely memorable.

Ani & Padme -- Okay, not much to say.

Jango's Escape -- Standard Williams. Quite good, but nothing special

Picnic -- Even more pretty music, but I've not yet been impressed.

Bounty Hunter's Pursuit -- Finally something good. Starts off well, gets boring, and then -- THE DROID INVASION!

Return to Tatooine -- Starts off simple, then some familiar themes ;) , :D , then slows down again.

Tusken Camp -- starts off reminiscent of ANH, but pretty boring, then, it gets okay for the last couple of minutes.

Love Pledge -- My favorite cue. Just...listen.

Confrontation -- Good stuff, good use of the Imp stuff.

Overall, I like it more than TPM (which I didn't really like at all other than DotF and Droid Invasion). It's nice that it has a couple of common themes throughout, and it's got a good amount of music packed in there too. I'd give this one a 6.7/10 -- not bad at all, but FAR from the best John Williams has given us.

16. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Tough crowd.

[face_plain] :cool:

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Interesting thing that at the beginning (after the main theme) is the same cue like in TPM. ;)

18. Darth Rayder

Oct 14, 1999
    Track 12, (I forget the name of it.) is REALLY starting to grow on me, as far as an action cue. All that percussion, bass, and low brass, in kind of a pulsing rythm...I can't WAIT to see this on screen. But for the record, the appearance of the Imperial March in Confrontation with Dooku/Finale is still the "mega-chills" moment of this disc.

19. The_Cloaked_One

Feb 27, 2002
    My favorites are # 2, 3, 10, and 13. :D

20. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    As I stated earlier, Track 12 is BY FAR my favorite...

21. Emperor_Sebulba

Emperor_Sebulba Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I've yet to download tracks 3 and 10 of Ep II, but of the one's I've heard, these are my top 10 favorite Star Wars songs ever including Attack of the Clones.

1. The Throne Room - Episode IV
    2. Imperial March - Episode V
    3. Princess Leia's Theme - Episode IV
    4. Into The Trap - Episode VI
    5. Main Theme - Episode IV
    6. Duel of the Fates - Episode I
    7. Across the Stars - Episode II
    8. Cantina Band - Episode IV
    9. Emperor's Theme - Episode VI
    10. Yoda's Theme - Episode V

I think the Episode II soundtrack is better than Episode I, but not as good as Episode V, Episode IV, and Episode VI(in that order, from best to worst). I like the way Williams uses more old themes, like Yoda's Theme, Luke's Theme, and Imperial March, although I was suprised Duel of the Fates wasn't used more, in fact, very little Episode I music was used in Episode II. This will probably tide me over until the release date anyways.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think that DotF will be more prominent in Ep.III than it is in AOTC.

23. Emperor_Sebulba

Aug 5, 2001
    You're probably right, since AOTC is supposed to be more romance than action, we heard a LOT of Across the Stars, it is in practically every track. I was just thinking, is there a chance that the part where Imperial March shows up is in the "Mystery" trailer where Anakin is ferouciosly attacking someone(towards the end, right before the logo comes up, presumably fighting Count Dokuu). I think it is a strong possibility.

24. Darth Rayder

Oct 14, 1999
    No, that's not what the Imperial March plays for. I don't know if I can post the actual spoiler here or not, so I won't.. PM me if you want to know where this music occurs in the film.

25. Emperor_Sebulba

Aug 5, 2001
    Well, I've downloaded the complete soundtrack now, so I'd thought I'd give my own track-by-track review.

Track 1 - <b>Main Title and Ambush on Corouscant</b>(3:46) Not much new here. As far as opening title's go, I'd say it's about as good as Episode I(maybe slightly better) and not as good as Episode IV and VI. Recurring Themes: Main Title(Episode IV) Grade: C+

Track 2 - <b>Across the Stars(Love Theme)</b>(5:33) It's the main single(a la Duel of the Fates in Episode 1), and it's the best song on the album, in my opinion. I don't think it's as good as Duel of the Fates, but it's still easily one of the best 10 star wars songs. The theme is sweet and feels very much like a star wars song(maybe a combination of Princess Leia's Theme and Luke and Leia). Recurring Themes: None(except Across the Stars of course) Grade: A

Track 3 - <b>Zam the Assasin and Chase through Corouscant</b>(11:07) - Very atypical star wars music, but good nontheless. John Williams has been accused of being repetitive by some critics and this track is very original. The electric guitar is very unexpected, but it works well. At 11 minutes, this track takes up almost 10% of the entire film. Recurring Themes: None Grade: B+

Track 4 - <b>Yoda and the Younglings</b>(3:55) - One of the better songs, it has a nice mix of original and recurring themes, voice and instrumental. This is the first time that Yoda's Theme has appeared in the prequel trilogy, which is a nice suprise. Recurring Themes: Across the Stars(Episode II), Force Theme(Episode IV), Yoda's Theme(Episode V) Grade: B

Track 5 - <b>Departing Couruscant</b>(1:44) Very short and not much here. Probably not Williams' fault, but it doesn't offer much.
    Recurring Themes: Force Theme Grade: D

Track 6 - <b>Anakin and Padme</b>(3:56) Heavily dependant on Across the Stars and flute's, but a nice melody at the beginning. Recurring Themes: Across the Stars Grade: C

Track 7 - <b>Jango's Escape</b>(3:48) Action music usually tends to be good more than bad, and this is no exception. A lot of brass, but some strings are thrown in as well to make it a little different. The melody seems jagged towards the end, but it works well at the beginning. Recurring Themes: None Grade: B-

Track 8- <b>The Meadow Picnic</b> Pretty lame overall, but there wasn't much Williams could do because the scene is dialouge heavy, and you don't want the music to take precedent. A little more original melody might have been better. Recurring Themes: Across the Stars Grade: D

Track 9 - <b>Bounty Hunters' Pursuit</b>(3:23) More action music, very much like Zam the Assassin and Jango's Escape. I'll rate it the same as Jango's Escape, because it's mostly the same, although having the Episode I music is good to hear. Recurring Themes: The Droid Invasion(Episode I) Grade: B-

Track 10 - <b>Return to Tatooine</b>(6:41) The album's only inclusion of Duel of the Fates makes this memorable, more so than the last track because it takes up more time, and because Duel of the Fates is more interesting than The Droid Invasion. Other than that, the track is merely average, and seems like mostly filler music. Recurring Themes: Force Theme, Duel of the Fates Grade: C+

Track 11 - <b>The Tusken Camp and the Homestead</b>(5:54) Using the woodblocks is good, it gives the track a nice tribal quality. There is some good thematic material, but there are some boring parts to the track as well. More good than bad though Themes: None Grade: B-

Track 12 - <b>Love Pledge and The Arena</b>(8:29) - Right up there with Zam the Assassin and maybe better, although it's entirely different style. Across the Stars dominates the opening, then it slowly builds pace. Recurring Themes: Across the Stars Grade: B+

Track 13 - <b>Confrontation with Count Dokuu and Finale</b>(10:48) Probably the best ending music in any star wars movie, on the "Confronation" segment it definatly gets high marks, especially with the Imperial March sequence. The Finale is still pretty much rehash stuff though. Recurring Themes: Imperial March, Ac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.