**OFFICIAL** Attack Of The Clones Score Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. The_Cloaked_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    Emperor: If you cant find them, I can send them to you through AIM.
  2. Emperor_Sebulba Jedi Knight

star 1
    As you can see by my track by track review, I managed to get the last tracks last night(finally). I appreciate your offer though.
  3. Darth Rayder Force Ghost

star 4
    Yoda's theme was in TPM, towards the end, so Yoda and the Younglings is NOT the first time it appears in the PT.
  4. Emperor_Sebulba Jedi Knight

star 1
    Really, I don't remember hearing that. Thanks for the correction though.
  5. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's heard as Yoda's telling Obi-Wan that the council are making him a Jedi Knight and giving him Anakin to train. I don't remember what track it corresponds to, but it's definitely even on the original release of the TPM soundtrack.

Ims
  6. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    hey apparently the bonus track is a Wal-mart exclusive.

Is this true? It doesn't really affect me that badly because I have an mp3 of it.

But if so, it makes sense, seeing as it can only be a bonus track if it is not normally included.
  7. The_Cloaked_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    Crap, they took teh site down where I have been linking people to go get the songs. Well, if any of you want any of the songs and have AIM, I wouldnt mind sending the songs to you. :D
  8. PastaQueen Jedi Padawan

TheBoogieMan - If you know anything about music theory and listen to across the stars closly, you will notice that it is an inversion of the main theme. thats why it sounds star wars-ish.

Dude, my thoughts exactly. I downloaded the "Across the Stars" theme tonight and my first reaction was "The hell? This is just the main theme slowed down with different orchestration." Honestly, I feel gypped. I can understand that Williams wants to have thematic and stylistic unity through all 6 movies. But between this and the Imperial March being the source for Anakin's theme, it's almost like he's plagiarizing himself. Ever heard of going back to the well too many times? I was expecting something new and instead got something recycled.
  9. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    exactly!

simply just an inversion (for the theoretically challenged, that means if in the original, the note went up 4 tones, he puts it down 4 tones. of corse he changed it a little too........)

:)
  10. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I just downloaded "Across the Stars" and loved it. It's completely different from the Han and Leia theme. Pretty much telling you this love story isn't going to have a happy ending. It starts very intimate and becomes EPIC. I love the harp stuff.
  11. SupremeJedi Jedi Padawan

I have just d/l Confrontation with Dooku and end credits as i have a slow 33,600k dial up. Am amazed. JW has done it again. There are so many emotions in the one track. Now just have to wait till 23rd for the CD to come out. As it took long enough to get the one track.
  12. GENERAL_FEL Jedi Knight

star 3
    Does anyone know where I can find scans of the liner notes? I have the three covers, but I would really like to have the liner notes.

13. jayme_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't know about the rest of the soundtrack, but the real Across The Stars is on KaZaA. I downloaded it yesterday and listened to it a few times, I love it. I also let my mom listen to it and she thought it was "very pretty."

And I plan on buying the soundtrack too. :)
  14. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, regarding the "Inversions"--isn't that what Anakin's theme is of the Imperial March, too? That's what my music-major friend told me, anyway.

Ims
  15. The_Cloaked_One Jedi Knight

star 3
    When all said and done, I think its a beautiful soundtrack. I enjoy orchestral/soundtrack music as much as the next person, but JW really is a living legend who made perfection come to reality with the music he made and conducted ni this soundtrack. :D
  16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    For all those who noted that Across the stars is everywhere, do this. Take out your ESB SE's and listen tracks 9, 10 and 11 on disc 2. Samething, but with Yoda.
  17. Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Can someone please send across the stars and
    Jango's Escape to yuuzhanvong1000@cs.com.
    Audio galaxy is needlessly complicated.
  18. Jay-Schmi-Kin Jedi Padawan

My version of Track 13-Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale is distorted when i burn it, its the only track that does this, could someone possibly send me one that they know works well? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Smitty02@mail.com
  19. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Hey, regarding the "Inversions"--isn't that what Anakin's theme is of the Imperial March, too? That's what my music-major friend told me, anyway.

Not exactly. Anakin's theme from TPM actually contains some musical cues from IM, but the theme itself is not "inversion" of IM or anything. :)
  20. waheennay Jedi Master

star 4
    I love in "Across the Stars" when the music starts to become more urgent and there are hints of trouble coming.
  21. Spynal Jedi Knight

star 2
    hey guys, I got most of the tracks so far and from what I can tell, I enjoy them all a lot. Anyway, I don't think you can grade these tracks as a way of grading how much a theme is gonna be used in AotC. First of all, because they're different areas of the movie mixed together, just like with the TPM disc, nothing is in order. I think we'll hear a lot more of Yoda's theme at the end, can't explain anymore though. And I noticed the opening theme is the one from TPM, all the way up to the pan down to the ship section, direct rip, then it abruptly fades into the AotC opening music, so I doubt that's the final version, just a sample of what it will sound like. Also, the same thing with the end music, there were a lot of cues put together, like where the ImpMarch goes into ATS then into the end music, then the end theme cuts into ATS wayyyyyy to early, I mean you hear the last note of the theme and bang, ATS fades in, definitely looped in. And technically, ATS can't be the ONLY song for the end credits because TPMs credits were a little over 8 minutes long, now from where the iris out to space starts to the end it's only about 5 minutes. That doesn't work, unless they laid off a few hundred ILM employees to credit at the end. So, I think we'll be in for at least one other theme for the end credits, and a slightly different finale, as well as opening. I remember everything was all messes up when it came to TPM soundtrack to film comparison.
  22. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    TPM's end credits were not 8 minutes. Duel of the Fates in the film's credits is edited down considerably from that of the sountrack release (about 2:30 I think).
  23. Spynal Jedi Knight

star 2
    ok, so the end credits are about 6 minutes in TPM and a little more than 5 min on AotC. So, I don't know if that's the final cue for the credits, but to my ear that change from the main theme to ATS isn't smooth with that bass hit right before it kicks in. Just listen to it and write back for me, let me know if you think it's natural or digitally altered, like most of the cd. And you can't deny that, since they're multiple cues merged together to sound like one long cue. Definitely the opening cue can't be the SAME one from TPM then go right into the one for AotC, there's been some altering there, most likely due to an unfinished score.
  24. GasCabbie Jedi Master

star 4
    The end credits of Star Wars movies are overtures.

I don't know how profound this statement is to anyone else, but it's something I think holds true. Overtures in operas were played before the schindig got started. They would condense the main themes and plot points in a purely musical form into a short piece of music.

In the OT, your end credits started with fanfare, went through the major new themes of each film, then ended with a rousing fanfare, each indicating something about what was to follow (In the case of ANH and ESB anyways).

In the PT, we have the fanfare all the same, then a piece of music which incorporates themes from the film, but in a way where the credits are a piece of music, rather than a simple regergitation of music already heard (with the exception of the DotF portion of TPM credits). The credits end with a brooding sense of doom.

I'm sorry if that made no sense. I'll go away now.
  25. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Wrong again. End credits for TPM clock in at about 6:19. End credits for AOTC (based on the sountrack) are 6:05, so there's virtually no difference.

As for digital manipulation, of course there is! They're trying to cut 110 minutes of score onto a CD of 80 minutes. Tons of music is bound to be missing, and the music that made it onto the CD is going to be mixed and cut differently from it's original version. But compared to the TPM soundtrack, there is far less splicing together of cues from the score on the AOTC CD.

And regarding the odd sounding transition to the end credits, without spoiling anyone, I think Williams arranged Across the Stars and the Imperial March on the CD release in a different order than they appear in the film.

EDIT: On second thought, no. The transition sounds fine to me. Certainly better than TPM or ROTJ:SE.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.