main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL** Attack Of The Clones Score Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    He's right. I compared the wav files a few weeks ago. The first 1:34 of the Main Titles from both TPM and AOTC are identical. That's unnatural. It's not mathematically probable.

For some reason, they took the first 1:34 of the Main Title from TPM. And I know that the rest of cue is from a Kamino scene, so nothing on the AOTC soundtrack for the Main Title is actually what will be heard in the film.

2. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I bought the soundtrack this afternoon and I've been listening to it all evening.

I cannot wait to hear this music combined with the visuals. It will be a treat.

3. Nord

Nord Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Haha! My first and only spoiler for AOTC. I listened to the music. :D It was fantastic. :)

And the electric guitar bit (track#3)was startliong at first but had this rebel-like feel to it. I bet it will fit in wonderfully well with the scene! Very awesome. Very inventive, too! :D

4. a. block

a. block Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 1999
    A little bit of "North By Northwest" in track 3? I could be wrong, but the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the track was the Hitchcock film. I can't even really think of the music to NBN, so I could be wrong. Anyone know?

5. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    When you here "Dual of the Fates" on track 10 or 11, what the hell is happening? Can anyone tell me?

6. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, I *finally* bought/heard the soundtrack yesterday. Here are some observations...

1. The Main Title, etc. will probably be like TPM's intital CD release; the music heard on the CD is not what will be heard in the film, it's been made this way for "maximum listening experience".

2. "Across the Stars" reminds me of the Imperial March, somehow. I can't quite explain it. Could it be that each theme (Anakin's Theme, Across the Stars, The Imperial March) are all interconnected?

3. "Return to Tatooine" has a VERY nice rendition of ANH's "Binary Sunset" w/Force Theme, followed by a bit of "Duel of the Fates". Awesome, and emotional!

4. I've *REALLY* grown to love "Confrontation with Dooku/Finale. I did NOT expect to hear such a grand statements of the Imperial March!!!! Chronologically, this is the first FULL statement of the March in the films, and it is *chilling*. I love the final bits leading to the end titles. Here's how it goes...

Imperial March

Strains of Across the Stars, cut off by...

Imperial March, stronger than before!

Grand, tragic rendtiton of Across the Stars, crashing into...

Star Wars end titles! Wow!

This cue left me breathless!!!! I also like it how Across the Stars, Anakin's Theme, and the Imperial March are all intertwined at the end of the track.

7. Jabba_Desilijic

Jabba_Desilijic Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2002
    Was listening to my new AOTC soundtrack last night, and I heard an electric guitar in it... now am I going crazy, or is this new. Not that I know everything about John Williams music (don't get me wrong, I kinda like this thing), but is this the first time he has ever used an electric guitar? Anywho, I was just wondering what everyone else thought... Peace out, homeys

8. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    No, I'm pretty sure John Williams has used an electric guitar before, in AI.

9. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    I found myself wanting to read more about how the themes and motifs evolved. This is something I missed in TPM and now AOTC.

Like did the love theme evolve from say Luke and Leia's theme in ROTJ?

10. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    This has probably been asked and answered before, but I'm too lazy to check... :p

Why was "Across the Stars" changed to "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones" for the soundtrack? I thought "Across the Stars" had a nice "Duel of the Fates" ring to it...

11. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    That was just a misunderstanding. Across the Stars is the name of the video edit, not the name of the love theme. It never was. People just misunderstood.

When you here "Dual of the Fates" on track 10 or 11, what the hell is happening? Can anyone tell me?

That is very likely when Anakin is racing across the desert on the speeder. The swell of the Force theme before that should be Anakin and Padme saying goodbye before he rushes off.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I was thinking tha ttoo.

I'm sure I will like this soundtrack a lot better when the movie comes out, but right now it seems sort of chaotic and many pieces seem extremely similar to each other. That's what I love about ESB, for example - the Hoth Battle sounds different than the Asteroid Field sounds different than Hyperspace... In AOTC everything just sort of blends together.

13. MJedi

MJedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 17, 2000
    I just listened to the Episode II soundtrack... and I am floored! John Williams is the best composer and conductor of our time!

"Love Theme" is so emotional...It actually sounds sad, because the love between Anakin and Padme is forbidden and suggests that it is bound to end in tragedy. It is the best track of the album.

"The Chase Through Coruscant" is a change for John Williams, as far as Star Wars is concerned: a sequence of what sounds like bongo drums, and sticks.

"Yoda and the Younglings" has a full rendition of "Yoda's Theme" in it. It sounds good to hear it again.

"Bounty Hunter's Pursuit" ends with the Trade Federation theme, suggesting that Jango Fett and the Trade Federation are acting together under the orders of a mysterious, cloaked individual. It also means the Trade Federation is back. Of course we knew that based on the trailers, but to actually hear the familiar military music just reinforces this knowledge. And it sounds good too.

"Return to Tatooine" contains "Force Theme" followed immediately by "Duel of the Fates" from Episode I. My guess is that this is Anakin racing towards wherever his mother is located, and it sounds like he is in a hurry. That sequence was one of the most exciting pieces of music I've heard in this album. It is wonderful to hear old themes in this new album.

"The Homestead" contains a small bit of "Darth Vader's Theme/Imperial March" from Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back), hinting once more about Anakin's fate. Perhaps in this scene, Anakin is showing signs of anger that will eventually lead to his fall.

I wonder what exactly is this pledge Anakin and Padme are making in "Love Pledge"... Maybe it sounds like this:

Padme: I love you.
    Anakin: I know.

Sound familiar? =)

"The Arena" has a different type of military music, a new variation on the Trade Federation theme. We saw new battle droids in the trailer, so maybe this is their theme. OR... maybe this is the Clones Theme?

"Confrontation with Count Dooku" ends with a full rendition of "Darth Vader's Theme/Imperial March" followed immediately by "Love Theme" and then the Finale (the movie ends.) I wonder what this means? Anakin defeats Dooku using the Dark Side? Anakin almost falls to the Dark Side but is saved by his love for Padme, hence the playing of "Love Theme"? And then the movie ends. Just by listening to the soundtrack, the movie must end with a cliffhanger.

What a soundtrack! And what a movie this will turn out to be!

My only gripe is that, once again, the album is not complete. It's on ONE CD, and there is definitely 2 hours of music in this movie. I guess I'll have to sign another petition to release the complete album... and wait a year or so.

May the Force be with you.

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'm slowly warming up to this... I like it much better today than yesterday.

You think perhaps that bombastic Trade Fed march is when they're inside the droid foundry? Like just as they see it, perhaps?

15. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit" ends with the Trade Federation theme, suggesting that Jango Fett and the Trade Federation are acting together under the orders of a mysterious, cloaked individual.

All of my comments are made under the supposition that the tracks have not been too heavily edited.

This track should consist of the space fight between Jango and Obi-Wan, which would lead to Obi-Wan landing on the planet and discovering the droid army. The TF March revival is most likely him making the discovery of their large army.

"The Homestead" contains a small bit of "Darth Vader's Theme/Imperial March" from Episode V (The Empire Strikes Back), hinting once more about Anakin's fate. Perhaps in this scene, Anakin is showing signs of anger that will eventually lead to his fall.

Most likely the Tusken slaughter, which is why the track is called The Tusken Camp and The Homestead.

I wonder what exactly is this pledge Anakin and Padme are making in "Love Pledge"... Maybe it sounds like this:

Padme: I love you.
    Anakin: I know.

Sound familiar? =)

It's actually "I truly, deeply love you."

"The Arena" has a different type of military music, a new variation on the Trade Federation theme. We saw new battle droids in the trailer, so maybe this is their theme. OR... maybe this is the Clones Theme?

I'm not sure that it's a theme necesssarily, as it is an action cue derived from the TF March.

"Confrontation with Count Dooku" ends with a full rendition of "Darth Vader's Theme/Imperial March" followed immediately by "Love Theme" and then the Finale (the movie ends.) I wonder what this means? Anakin defeats Dooku using the Dark Side? Anakin almost falls to the Dark Side but is saved by his love for Padme, hence the playing of "Love Theme"? And then the movie ends. Just by listening to the soundtrack, the movie must end with a cliffhanger.

To break it down, it should begin with Yoda rescuing Anakin and Obi-Wan, Dooku fleeing and Padme rushing in to find Anakin injured; cut to Dooku arriving on Coruscant and reporting to Sidious; cut to Obi-Wan meeting with Yoda and Mace in the Council chamber, and telling them that Anakin is taking Padme back to Naboo; cut to the clones disembarking on Coruscant, which is the Imperial March; finally, cut to the Love Theme, which is the wedding of Anakin and Padme. Then cut to the End Credits. The actual confrontation with Dooku is very likely only the very beginning of the track, and the confrontation would be between Yoda and Dooku, not Anakin and Dooku.

16. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    My only gripe is that, once again, the album is not complete. It's on ONE CD, and there is definitely 2 hours of music in this movie. I guess I'll have to sign another petition to release the complete album... and wait a year or so.

I've just listened to the EP II and EP I soundtracks back to back, and EP I is definitely richer and more nuanced than EP II (perhaps because there is quite a lot of "pursuit" music in this soundtrack). I like most of what I hear in EP II, but I couldn't help thinking that there must be significant pieces of music missing. For example:

o Why doesn't OB1 have a theme? After all, he's a major player in the saga (even JJ, the Ewoks, and the droids had themes).

o Does Dooku have a theme?

o Will we hear an aggressive, faster version of Yoda's theme when he's fighting Dooku?

o What music will we hear when Anakin finds his mother and during their last moments together?

o What music might we hear during the battle?

Just my two cents....

17. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It tok me a while to get used to it, but now I can't stop listening to it!

18. Hooperx

Hooperx Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2000
    John Williams is the Tchaikovsky of adagio themes: while overly romantic, they tend to strike a emotional heartstring in those who hear them. He propbably is one of the greatest composer of the late twentieth/early twenty first century, following closely behind Bartok in innovation.

19. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Why doesn't OB1 have a theme? After all, he's a major player in the saga (even JJ, the Ewoks, and the droids had themes).

First...is it really that hard to actually type Obi-Wan?:)

And second, he does have a theme. He gets the "Force Theme," which is what his theme was in ANH.

Ims

20. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    "What music will we hear when Anakin finds his mother and during their last moments together?"

I think that music is Track 11 - The Tusken Camp and the Homestead. I can very much see it when Anakin's anger is swelling and pounding and building up to point of extreme leading to the ultimate sin of his life so far.

Very prominant music.

:D

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah, I noticed that all the movies had different Main themes and different End Credit versions, except for AOTC and TPM share the same one...

I'm not sure about the end credits for TPM, but AOTC has a...well, i don't know what instrument it is, but it's a sharp, almost flute-like sound, that is very prominent at first.

Also, the end credits for AOTC seem to have the main theme version playing longer than in other films.

22. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Doesn't it bother you that JW drive for originality has resulted in some frankly ugly and cacaphonic chase music? Sure, it will work in the film sequence, I doubt it wouldn't, but it sounds pretty terrible on its own.

The sentimental scenes are, as always, handled well, but are all similar, and he has created a very appropriate theme, but there isn't much more he can do that we havn't heard before in some form or another. (I've heard some saying the new love theme is a rip-off of a Conan theme (?))

And I can hear some very 'Harry Potter' moments throughout the CD, which may not be a bad thing in the film, but I would like to think I'm listening to the Star Wars universe, which is difficult during (for example) the first two minutes of track 13.

23. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Oh, and does anybody know why the electric guitar was used in track 3, and what it relates to in the film?

24. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    It's the speeder chase through Coruscant. I'm betting it has to do with Anakin. My favorite track is no. 12(Love Pledge and the Arena). Plenty of exciting stuff going on. The Imperial March on track 13 is probably going to play over the shot of all those Clonetroopers at sunset and the Republic Assault Ships taking off signaling that the Empire has arrived. Then the Love theme plays when it cuts to Naboo and Anakin and Padme's secret wedding. Romantic and defiant at the same time.

25. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Imrahil2001,

Well, no, it's not that hard to type Obi-wan, it's just that I like the shorthand...

And for whatever reason, I'd never noticed that the force theme was used with Obi-wan (I don't have the soundtrack for ANH). I'll have to watch the movie again, and listen for it in EP II. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.