main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official Autograph Discussion thread**

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Sithman, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I was wondering, this being my first Celebration or convention, what is the best thing to get Star Wars celebs to autograph? I mean, or course there's paper, but I was wondering if some of you who might have ideas as to what type of SW merchandise or something is cool to have them autograph.

~Sithy~

P.S. I was thinking about doing my SWCII pass, but I'm all freaked out that the marker will rub off of the pass! [face_shocked]

In an effort to clean this forum up a bit, I changed the name and will direct autograph discussions here. Thanks.

2. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I have a collection of 8X10 augotraphed photos, and they work great.

!snap

3. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm going to be bringing some extra Evolution common cards for people to sign which will fit nicely with the other autograph cards that I have from the actual set.

A lot of people like getting unopened figures signed (I'm assuming figures of the character in which the celeb played :p ). Another thing you could do is buy a Celebration 2 poster when you get there (I'm sure they'll probably have something) and have everyone sign that. If nothing else, I've heard of some celebs bringing their own pics and making them available to buy if you don't have anything for them to sign.

On a side note, I visited Anthony Daniels' homepage for the first time yesterday and found his "darkside" autograph gallery interesting. Looking a little further I noticed that Celebration 2 isn't listed on his upcoming appearances, though from everything I heard on various sites he will be.

4. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    This is a question I've wondered about. Where there scheduled signings at C-I? The only interview I saw about it that mentioned autographs was somebody saying he got the guy that played Dack Ralter's autograph.

5. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I myself am a signed-figure person. I only have one right now, but I'm preparing which ones I like. A poster would be good too although after my mother's purchase for me today I don't think I'd have any wall space.

6. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    I was thinking for any original SW people, that i'd have them sign my old ('82-84) SW toy cards..er..backs...the back pannel that the toys were attatched to...whatever..lol..

7. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Posters are good, but they are a pain to carry around, take out, roll back up, etc. I've used the trading cards before. They are easy to carry around and display nicely. Another idea is to use the Celebration Program book. Most of the stars will have their own photos. I haven't noticed a significant change in price from using theirs to bringing something yourself.
    I haven't seen anything about it, but I'm assuming that there won't be "free" autographs or will there be?
    Janet

8. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    no, the Wizards people told me autographs aren't free whether you bring your own stuff or not (which,to me is a rip off..), but that any photos with the person are included in the price...how generous. ;)

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Most autograph lines I've been to, the signers have their own publicity photos on a stack on the table. Sounds like this is going to work the same way. Billy Dee Williams had a stack of small color photos in his ESB outfit when he signed at a show in suburban Detroit a few years back.

10. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm gonna bring my Star Trek character cards. Hopefully I won't get lynched.

11. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    Why would you do that. This is a STAR WARS convention. Leave the Treky stuff at home Spock. ;)

Are they even giving autographs? I heard that at the last STAR WARS celebration they weren't. I wouldn't mind getting an Episode II poster signed if they are. I wish Leanna Walsman & Natalie would show up. Ahhh, wishful thinking. :)

12. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Thanks for the info. You can figure dishing out anywhere from $20-$35 each if they are charging. Usually, they'll knock off $5 if you bring your own stuff--but not always. This is usually your media people. Most artists, and authors and behind the scenes people do it for free. I've gotton people like Terry Brooks, Kevin Anderson, Pam Hamley, AC Crispin, Aaron Alston, Mike Stackpole, Steve Sansweet to sign my comics and books at no charge. I've also got Dave Dorman, Joe Corroney and others. Most of your ILM people will sign stuff too. The thing is not to load them down with a ton of stuff--which we all want to do. I try and pick a favorite book and have them sign it.
    For the ILM people, I suggest the Art of Star Wars books which has drawings from most.
    I probably won't bother with any of the paid autographs unless it's someone really big that I think I'll never get to see again. Like Natalie,Hayden, Ewan, Harrison, Carrie or Mark, etc. The others usually show up at various conventions.
    Thanks,
    Janet

13. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    If somebody is being paid by WOTC or LFL to be there that person's autograph should be free. If they're there on their own dime charging for an autograph is ok.

14. k kanos

k kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    I've gone to sci-fi shows in the past with the very intent of getting autographs from the actors. During the Celebration I would rather just enjoy being there without carrying a bunch of stuff around with me. You have to remember that there are going to be around 20,000 people at the Celebration. Lines will be extremely long. Ask anyone who went to the last one. They spent half their time in line. I agree that if you are going to bring collectibles to get signed (if indeed they are signing autographs) bring only a minimal amount. The only thing I'm taking is my camera and lots of film. If I can get them to autograph an Episode II poster great. If not, oh well.

15. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I think the poster idea works, I don't want to have to carry a ton of stuff around just to get signed; and you never know who you'll end up meeting. I like getting autographs addressed to me by name. It adds a personal attachment to whatever gets signed, and proves you're not some scalper/scum going to pawn it off for triple what you paid 10 minutes after you get home.

16. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    I agree with k kanos. A camera and LOTS of fil.. er.. compact flash cards are all I plan to take in with me.

Of course, I'd need a lil' money for food... :D

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I was at Celebration I in Denver and there were no organized autograph signings that I was aware of. There were simply too many people and the lines would have been ridiculously long. (All the lines there were ridiculously long! ;)) I met a lot of people who managed to get signatures from the celebs by stopping them as they spotted them walking around. I was really lucky and got a pic with Antony Daniels because he walked up to a bunch of us in line :D but you pretty much had to be on the look out for them.

18. Theatrix

Theatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2001
    Unfortunately the days of free autographs at just about any SF convention are LONG gone. I have not seen a "free autograph" situation for about a decade.

Theatrix

19. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I'm going to take along extra trading cards I have along with an episode 1 journel I have that is signed by Kenny Baker. I won't be writing in it, so I figure it's a good place for autographs. ;)

~*~Bria

20. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    At Celebration I they specifically said that there would be no authgraphs, basically because the lines would have been ridiculous (not like they weren't for everything else that was there) and they said not to ask the celebs because they were asked not to sign. They didn't what them being mobbed an felt that if everyone couldn't get one, then it would be unfair for a few to get them.

21. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    it would stink if they charged for them, however it would stink more if they didnt give them out at all. i was all excited about autographs till i heard that they charge like 20 credits a pieace for them. i am poor and cant afford that:(

22. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    ATTENTION Anyone from Denver or Celebration II planning...If they discouraged autographs, were they cool with pictures? I mean a picture of me with Anthony Daniels would be better then an autograph in many ways!

23. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    In Denver, I remember autographs being discouraged but from what I heard, most people were pretty cool about signing stuff. Warwick Davis signed one of my passes. At the now infamous AlphaCon here in Omaha, people like Daniels were charging up to $25 for a signature although if you had them sign something you brought, it was cheaper- usually $10.

Honestly though, I'll be surprised if they have autograph tables at Indy. It'd be cool if they did, but still I'd be surprised.

24. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
  25. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    im bringing a boba fett picture signed by jeremy bulloch and a darth vader picture signed by david prowse, and have them both sign it again! i got it the first time at a star wars convention in the coconut grove convention center, Miami florida in 2000 i think the year was. i really wonder if they'll make me pay for it, since i paid for the bloody picture the first time, and its the same one...
    aside from that i'm bring starfighters of adumar for aaron allston to sign since its my favorite of his books. does anyone know of any other confirmed authors going?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.