main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official BB Commstroversy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Darth_AYBABTU, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Hahaha. DA likes EU.

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    :eek:

My secret shame!

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Smuggler I have to agree with your old Comms thread about icons. They are so screwed up right now.

Problems
    1. There are never any new icons.
    2. The DVDs come out with tons of changes. Instead of giving us new icons of characters we get six icons of lightsabers. Who the hell cares and who the hell is going to use an icon of a lightsaber? They should have given Ghost Hayden icons or TESB Emperor icons. There are tons of new icons which could be created. Instead we get a bunch of lightsaber icons....no one wants a picture of a piece of metal as their icon. Give us some good icons! I remember a time when there were plenty of good and new icons. Those days are long dead.

-Seldon

4. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    From the "POLICY: VIPs and Titles" thread, DanakinSkywalker said:

Personally I see it more as using someones work without giving them proper credit for it. But whatever works...

When was the last time you credited an illustrator, 3D artist or camera operator on one of your icons? You do realize that most of us have a batch automation in Photoshop that does almost all of what you do, right?

Later on, durbnpoisn said:
    Honeslty, judging from what's been said here, those people are the minority. It just so happens they were the ones with the power to vote.

From a quick rough count of posts in that thread, I got 13 for and 15 against. Now, in fairness, I feel that those who are moderators or VIPs themselves shouldn't count, so that brings us to 5 for, 13 against. Sounds a little more lopsided -- until you take away those who were defending a particular user who was PMd by a mod to tell him how he was wronged by the rest of the MS. Take those away and you have 5 for, 6 against.

Ah, but wait. If we want truly impartial judges, then we should remove those who have lost titles/VIPships as well. That leaves us with 5 for, 2 against.

This tells me that your judgement might possibly be flawed, durbnpoisn.

5. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Who the hell cares and who the hell is going to use an icon of a lightsaber?

* <-- points at her icon *

And before this one I had an icon of a single green lightsaber, which, might I add, a friend made for me specifically, a long time ago, because it was what I was most interested in having as an icon. Although, I've seen a lot of other people using it too.

6. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Your point has been made, there is no need to beat a dead horse.

7. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    Upping a thread for every BBer.

8. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    In my mind there's a difference when the cause is something that deals with some form of "life" threatening illness/disease versus some charitable organization such as the Boy Scout example. In my Opinion they are 2 totally different organizations with different agendas.

I'm an Eagle Scout, and in my opinion they are both extremely good causes. Why should we follow your opinion and not mine?

KK, read it again. He didn't say that Boy Scouts weren't a good cause. He said it's a different KIND of cause. One is a cause for an organization, while the other is just a cause.

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I was kicked out of the Boy Scouts for eating a brownie.

AYBABTU

10. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Okay, I'm going to go against my better judgement and approve -- with some reservations -- of Ki-Bara Mundi's banner submission.

My only gripe with the banner is that the title is too big. I'd like to see more of what's behind it and am not so interested in the text masking. Also, I don't know what you were going for in the washed-out look, but I think you went too far with it. It might have worked if you'd usedan overlay to give the whole thing some texture, but as it is it's just too washed-out.

The other thing is the color scheme. It definitely needs more contrast in it. As it is I feel like I have the brightness up too high on my monitor. And since it's claibrated correctly it has to be the color scheme that's making me feel that way.

The banner itself is very nicely done. I especially like the inner shadow and transitions between characters.

11. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    KK, read it again. He didn't say that Boy Scouts weren't a good cause. He said it's a different KIND of cause. One is a cause for an organization, while the other is just a cause.

Since I'm intruding this week, I'll just shoot you down here.

My response was targeted specifically at the part where he said "In my Opinion they are 2 totally different organizations with different agendas." Notice the first 3 words: In my Opinion. That's why I specifically asked "Why should we follow your opinion and not mine?"

I was kicked out of the Boy Scouts for eating a brownie.

And rightly so. The Boy Scouts frowns upon cannibalism, and we try to avoid harassing the Girl Scouts too much anyways. You should have just taken her cookies. ;)

Kimball Kinnison

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I'm an Eagle Scout.

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Hey, strilo, perhaps you wouldn't have this problem with the Draft stuff if you were more involved in your forums than worried about locking threads in Comms. One the Comms admin had just posted in no doubt. You've made it obvious to this point that you are completely unable to handle your emotions when it comes to people criticizing you, so I'd say you need to stay out of Comms -- at least as long as you feel the need to lock threads that question your abilities.

And if KK is too busy with other things to take care of it and needs your help, maybe he shouldn't be in there either.

14. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    Silly me for thinking things could be consistant.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

strilo, you're comedy gold.

15. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't like the idea of an all EU banner. With the DVDs out and ROTS coming, are you telling me they could not come up with an all film banner?

I like the picture of Shatterpoint Mace, I just don't like the idea of an all artwork EU banner.

-Seldon

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Maybe you should make one then?

~PK~

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    If I remember, all of the entries were filled with EU.

18. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, hopefully they'll upload the Halloween banner early than.

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't have photoshop.
    I don't claim to be an artist at those things.

I basically just don't like the idea behind this one.
    And I have begun far too many sentences in this post with "I"

-Seldon

20. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I can post in Comms at will. And as an ex-mod I am both listened to and always right.

Amazing.

21. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    But what about the "small reward for the unpaid voluntary 'work' we put in" excuse? sad In the end, all we get is colors?

But what about the small reward for the unpaid voluntary 'work' the icon makers put in? They don't even get anything.

In short, stop whining.

22. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    What B said.

23. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    what's the 'lest we forget' icon?

24. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    A Veteran's Day icon, which somehow is acceptable when a voting icon isn't.

25. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    okay.

why the hell can we have a veteran's day icon, but we can't have election icons (not country-specific) or breast cancer awareness icons (also not country-specific)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.