main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Book Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities' started by UluUlix, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UluUlix

UluUlix Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    Hey Folks,

Just wanted to start a thread for the Books!

2. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Not meaning to double post but I thought this needs to be a seperate post under the book thread. I just picked up Dark Lord:The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. This is already an awesome book. The author also wrote Labrynth of Evil which is a must read to understand the origins of Greivous, who Sifo Dyas was, and more.

I have also been reading the Last Jedi which is a kids series but takes place after EP III and deals with Obi Wan. Great read about his feelings for his long lost brother Anakin, and how he thought Anakin died.

3. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Not meaning to double post but I thought this needs to be a seperate post under the book thread. I just picked up Dark Lord:The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. This is already an awesome book. The author also wrote Labrynth of Evil which is a must read to understand the origins of Greivous, who Sifo Dyas was, and more.

I have also been reading the Last Jedi which is a kids series but takes place after EP III and deals with Obi Wan. Great read about his feelings for his long lost brother Anakin, and how he thought Anakin died.

4. dinochick

dinochick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    I am still reading Revenge of the Sith, although I am getting closer to the end. I am really enjoying it so far. I read Labrynth of Evil last spring and I also really emjoyed it and would recomend it to folks.

5. Illd_Saber

Illd_Saber Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    I'm currently in the process of reading the New Jedi Order series ... I'm in the middle of Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial. I'm not so sure I like the looks of how long this battle with the Yuuzhan Vong is drawn out.

I may take a break from this to read Labrynth of Evil and Dark Lord:The Rise of Darth Vader.

6. Super_J

Super_J Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2004
    I just picked up The Rise of Darth Vader too. I have read the Last Jedi series(both books so far with #3 coming out next month). I have also read all of the NJO stuff and am looking forward to the last book in the Swarm War trilogy.

SPOILERS BELOW

The Swarm War books have been good if only for the fact R2 has finally started giving info to Luke about his father and he gave him Padme's name. He and Leia havent had a chance to go to Naboo yet to look further.
    R2 also showed him the security holos of Anakin slaughtering the younglings.

7. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Brad-congrats on your new book Labrynth of Evil. I think this was a fabulous book that helped fill in some gaps that Episode III left us still wondering about. I wont ruin it for you-but you have a great book.

For those who have read the new Dark Lord-Darth Vader book-would this not make a great series for TV or cartoons? I loved the sinister nature of Palpatine and reading the transformation of Vader.

Spoiler below:

I felt that Vader was pretty pathetic in the beginning of the book. Now that he is Number 21, do you think maybe would seek out the other 19 (since Dooku is dead) of the lost 20?

8. Super_J

Apr 25, 2004
    I am assuming it has been over the course of a millinia the 20 were lost. It would be interesting to find out just why they left and if they went bad or just went off to have a family etc.

9. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    I assume it would make a great story. The Lost 21 of the Jedi Order including Anakin. Anakin would have left the order if we would not have turned to the dark side.

The comics have been pretty cool about those who survived Order 66.

10. Jedi_Twin18th

Jedi_Twin18th Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Labyrinth of Evil was awesome. I liked how it talked about Anakin and all that. About how he would get very frusterated with the clones and stuff. And I loved how it talked about that Anakin wanted to get ''Revenge'' on Nute Gunray. It was all personal to him because of how many times Nute Gunray was behind Assasination attempts on Padmé. Very cool. Anakin Skywalker of course as you know did get his Revenge, he slaughtered everyone in lead with Gunray. It was glorious to watch that unfold.
    Another Subject:
    Saw someone is reading Revenge of the Sith. That is my favorite book, period. That book was written very very well. It was really poetic I think too. How it says, ''Everyone dies Anakin, even stars burn out.'' Or how it speaks of the dead star dragon that coils Anakins heart. (not literally, it's a medaphore for his anger) Awesome book! God I have to go, i'm gonna go read it again!

11. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    Perhaps it's the slower pace of reading, but I thought that Anakin's turn to the Dark Side was not as rushed in the book as it felt in the movie. I agree, Sith was a great read.

12. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    I think the Adaptation of Revenge was one of the best books. Anakin's turn to the dark side was better and more believable in the book.

The betrayal of Dooku by Sidious/Palpatine was perfect. The whole 1000 year plot was portrayed so well by the converastion of Dooku and Sidious. It was intricate and precise. Put that together with the story arc and plot lines revealed in Labrynth and you have a clear picture of how sinister Sidious was.

I also love the intro to Revenge with the stories of the Negotiator-Kenobi, and the Jedi without Fear-Anakin.

But what I really enjoyed was arrest of Palpatine and how he took out Kit Fisto and left his head on the table.And Shaak Ti's death was great too.

My first book was Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

13. Jedi_Twin18th

Jun 3, 2005
    That is the kind of fear that lives inside Anakin Skywalker: the dragon of that dead star. It is an ancient, cold dead voice within his heart that whispers all things die...
    In bright day he can't hear it; battle, a mission, even a report before the Jedi Council, can make him forget it's even there. But at night?
    At night, the walls he has built sometimes start to frost over. Sometimes they start to crack.
    At night, the dead-star dragon sometimes sneaks through the cracks and crawls up into his brain and chews at the inside of his skull. The dragon whispers of what Anakin has lost. And what he will lose.
    The dragon reminds him, every night, of how he held his dying mother in his arms, of how she had spent her last strength to say I knew you would come for me, Anakin...
    The dragon reminds him, every night, that someday he will lose Obi-Wan. He will lose Padme. Or they will lose him.
    All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even stars burn out...

14. Darrin_Sith

Darrin_Sith Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2005
    All that plot stuff should have been in the movie...that's wh y I am so mad at myself for reading the book before seeing the movie. It sorta ruined the movie for me...made me feel dissapointed because of how good the book was and how much they left out in the movie.

15. Jedi_Twin18th

Jun 3, 2005
    I loved them both. But books are always better. But I am not dissapointed at all. I take it for what it is. Just film. Books can explain alot more.

16. dinochick

dinochick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    I recently finished ROTS (book) and I really enjoyed it. It is slower, but it is better that way I think (vs the film). I am glad that I waited to read it, since I think I would have also felt dissapointed in the film. That is what happened with AOTC - read the book before seeing the movie and my film experience was damaged I think (some what).

17. Jedi_Twin18th

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah I read Revenge of the Sith book before I saw the movie and my film experience was not damaged what-so-ever. The ''Confrontation'' at the end of the film between Padme, Anakin, & then Obi-Wan was amazing. Then just the scene with all the jedi Dying. Yeah something about watching it rather then reading it was gripping.

18. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    Anybody have any of the Essential Guides? I was looking at picking up Vehicles and Vessels and Weapons and Technology on Amazon, but wondered if they are worth the money.

19. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    I have looked at the essential guide and I was wiating to see if they would make a new one for stuff from all six episodes plus. Years ago I bought one of the Essential Chronology and it was very good. I looked at the new one last week at Barnes but decided to get the Dressing the Galaxy from Walmart.com

20. DaRtHKuStEs

DaRtHKuStEs Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    I have over 65 of the books and I have read over half of them. By far everyone needs to read the Thrawn Trilogy. It is awesome. Also you all need to read the Han Solo trilogy. Lambrinyth of Evil was good. Right now I'm reading Spectre of the Past then Vison of the Future. That you should read right after the Thrawn Trilogy. I have Rise Of A Dark Lord or whatever but I have to finish those other two first. Good reading everyone!

21. Super_J

Apr 25, 2004
    I have read everything in the main timeline. I just finished The Swarm War trilogy and it was ok. I am hoping the Legacy of the Force 9 book series starting in June is better. What I liked best about this trilogy was R2 finally giving up some info about Anakin and Padme to Luke.

Definately the place to start the EU reading is the Thrawn trilogy. Timothy Zahn is a good writer. His next book is out on Jan 30, Outbound Flight, this book will have Thrawn in it also.

22. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    I am excited about the upcoming Darth Bane Book.

23. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Outbound Flight is out in less or more than 1 week!!!!

24. Super_J

Apr 25, 2004
    When a new book comes out I read it so fast the month or two wait for the next one seems like forever.

25. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Has anyone purchased Outbound Flight yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.