main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Bowling Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Jedi Gunny, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hey fellow bowlers,
    do you like bowling? Do the sounds of rolling bowling balls and crashing pins make you giddy? Well, you've come to the right place! This thread is for those who, like me, love bowling as a sport and as an activity. This is the first bowling thread on this forum, so I hope that you will appreciate the work put into it. And remember- Have fun! [face_peace]

2. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    Bowling is the greatest sport on this planet....

3. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I'd have the same opinion if it wasn't for the disgusting smell of combined cigarette smoke in the place. Besides that, I love bowling. Me and my girlfriend go midnight bowling sometimes.

So, how good is everybody? My average is usually around 150-170. Not horrible but not exactly PBA either.

4. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Where do you bowl? o_O

5. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    All of the bowling allies around Milwaukee Wisconsin have that smell. It's the same smell you get on your clothes when you're in a bar.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I bowled a 121, 131, 167 last weekend. Monte Carlo night. won $2.50

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I average around 130 and have hit 150 a few times. But I am the stereotypical amateur bowler, no spin etc. I just position myself a few pins to the left and throw it in straight (I'm a lefty.)

Really good fun though, I always have a good time when I'm bowling. And smoking isn't allowed. :)

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All right, there are some fellow bowlers. I thought that I was going to get some "Bowling is not a sport" posts, but its great that there are some people who agree with me that bowling is indeed great.
    Actually, the place I go to bowl has a small bar area where smokers light one or two with a beer. What really annoys me is that the flaps are always open, meaning that the stench floats out into the reception area. The place I go is about 2 miles away from my house, and only has 14 lanes. I go there for a family bowling league on Monday night, and I have been averaging around a 125. My one ball is fingertipped so that is hooks down the lane, but I haven't really gotten much movement lately. Hey, that's why they have league; gear you up for the winter season.

9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All right; if no one else will share their bowling backgrounds, then let's start a discussion about bowling. However, even though I'm the thread host, I am leaving the discussion topic to someone so that we can all talk about it.

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    [image=http://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowling/files/images/2006PBA03PeteWeber.jpg]

I don't know how but for some reason when I was in college I had Pete's bowling card.

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Nice. The PBA has made its first appearance (second mention) in this thread. Great picture, Gersh!

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    All right; does anyone have something to say that can be made into a discussion?

13. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Oh, ok. I guess I've been too spoiled by California's smoking policies. :p

Anyways, even though I don't get to bowl much myself, I enjoy watching PBA on Sundays. Those trick shot challenges are quite amusing.

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It would be nice if the PBA would be shown on network TV. I don't have cable.

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Anyways, for a discussion starter, I would like to ask this question: What is the most annoying thing about bowling? In my opinion, that's a gutterball after a spare; I did that Monday night during league, and I wasn't doing well after that.

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The only Bowling that I now do is on my Wii. It's a very cool game on the Wii Sports game. Does anyone else play it?

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Most of the bowling alleys around here are quite smoky, but occasionally (and at certain times) its not so bad. I enjoy it, though I'm not very good - my goal is always to hit 100+, and I probably do that as often as not. I've gotten as high as the 160s before, but thats with some luck.

Oh, and I've played Wii bowling once as well - not bad, but theres no way to simulate the weight of the ball.

18. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I've only been too two bowling alleys in my area and both seem fairly decent. There isn't any smoking to speak of and only a rule on drinking. One of them has no drinks while the other allows you to bring your own.

I'm pretty decent on certain nights and others I just suck like you wouldn't believe. I usually hit in the 140s/150s when I'm on a good night. And when I'm really good I can hit close to 165 at times, but that's with a lot of luck behind me and I'm not screwing around with friends when we go.

Wii Sports bowling is pretty good, although again you can't really measure the weight of the ball and it just falls short of being that much realistic.

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Sometimes, I play Wii bowling a lot; I've bowled a 300 and a 297 on it in the span of a year. Actually, when I am having a good night, I can bowl (for real) 150-160. My high game, however, is a 192 (bowlied in practice before league night). That's what's always bugged me; my highest score ever was in practice.

20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I've got league tonight, so wish me the best! Last week was disasterous (305 series; my average was 137), so I need a good night to raise my morale.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Good luck, and have fun!

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I have been in a semi-slump the last two weeks, because I got a 97, 126 and 145 last night. My averge was 128. Things are not going as well as I have hoped.

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Last night, I got a 132, 133 and 134. Consistency.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Normally I get tetchy if I don't get 150. My best is 214 and I got a 600 series once (194, 197, 211)

I play with a 12lb ball though, and bowl generally straight (right-handed) with a SLIGHT curve left-right. So I'm often relying on getting strikes on Brooklyns. My main area on getting points is picking up the spares.

My biggest annoyance, though, is people on adjacent lanes who take their run-ups and bowl whilst I'm on the lane. Breaking bowling etiquette should earn a jail sentence [face_plain]

25. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Wow halibut, I didn't know you were a bowler. Bolwing is such an underappreciated sport. I bowl with a 12-pounder as well, but mine hooks. Last night, I only got one strike in my series, but I got 15 spares and 14 open. Lately, I've been trying to keep my ball on the lane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.