main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official BROKEN ALLEGIANCE comments thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord_Rive, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabermovies

Sabermovies Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    Great film. Just under 'Duality' in overall quality, but far better than anything else I've viewed. Certainly more ambitious than Duality. Good work!

The cockpits were awesome. The space battles were a notch above video game CGI and about even with most of what's on Television. Nice work.

The Dark Jedi chick was smoking hot.

On the bad side: the music. It sounded out of tune and was distracting. I don't think the compositions themselves were bad, just the performance of them.

I'd like a more ferocious saber fight, but your actors could actually deliver lines, so i'll give you some leeway there.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, but a little too subtle for stupid minds like mine, I would have never picked up on it, even if I had watched it a million times. Good thing someone mentioned it in this thread.

3. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    I don't usually comment on films too much, but I must say that I really liked this one. The plot was involving without being over complicated. The acting was fairly good, and the music sounded OK to me. It did seem a little poorly performed in places (a couple of bad notes here and there that I picked up on), but it didn't distract me. What I liked were the special effects. Very well done! I've read some of the other posts here, and frankly I disagree with some of them. I think the CG was way above anything I've seen to date in a fanfilm. That includes Duality and Seeds of Darkness.

The attention to detail is what made the difference. Here is always something that's always bothered me with fanfilms. The Tyderium shuttles have lights that blink on the top of the dorsal fin and the wingtips. To the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first fan made film I've seen that actually seemed to remember that fact. The bounty hunters ship also had blinking lights. Notice the details on the textures and such. Amazing! Looking at this from an artists point of view, the CG really made the movie for me.

Plus... the chick was hot too. Always a good thing.

:)

SK

4. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    oh sweet god that was the best fan film I ever saw. I gotta go write a review, and my rewrite my Fan Film. I also hate you guy's now cause you just raised the bar... ;)

Thayne

5. AndyBryan

AndyBryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Some of you may have noticed my post near the start of this thread... :p It took 40 mins to download, 20 odd mins to watch and this long to write my review so here we go..

Nice film, job well done.. Thanks to all of the Broken Allegiance team for their hard work.

:D
    Andy Bryan

What u reckon TAC? that a quality review or what? LOL

6. sqerl

sqerl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    Great work!! Kudos to all who made it possible. Its nice to see what's possible when a team works together~~Very nicely done. Nothing new to add to all the previous posts except that I hope my little flick will be as warmly recepted.

I don't know whats funnier:
    That "anyone with a camera" can make a movie or "anyone with a brain" thinks they're Siskel and Ebert

Other than that, I won't comment on the film. The makers know what they would have liked to have done differently and they will hopefully make another flick!

sqerl

7. Smashalot

Smashalot Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 1999
    Ok, I thought BA was great. Was nice that it had downloaded by the time i got home from work, so i didn't have to wait. I guess this post contains spoilers, so don't read it if you don't want to see.

*The voices were great, they talked normal, not like those american fanfilms ;)
    *I enjoyed the story even though i didn't understand some parts.
    *Didn't understand how the Bounty Hunter could take on two Trainee's of Vader so well.
    *The FX was great, looked like a lot of effort had gone into it.
    *I love hearing the Stormtrooper death noises from Jedi Knight.
    *Hehe. She's pregnant.
    *Why didn't people die when they were shot? What's wrong with the Blasters they are using?

Okay, the major beef i have with any film is lack of continuity with the "Official" stuff. I am not trying to start a canon debate however i don't like when things are totally disregarded from what i know. I read all the books and like tho think i have a good knowledge of the GFFA and the goings on of it(not something i think i should be over proud of). Why is Vader always made to look like a fool? I mean he is the chosen one and all, jeez. I was hoping that he'd swoop on in at the end and wipe out those two horny dark jedi, but then it would have been to sad with the baby in the oven. ah well.

With that said, it would be impossible to make a fan film i guess that allows for and fits in with all the books and movies. That is why Dark Redemption sucked so bad(except the voices, oh no, they tryed to hard in that one). DR paid no attention to the books... I won't start whinging on that.

Anyway, if anyone is still reading my ramble BA is an incredible fan film, i'd love to see a sequel set 30 seconds after , where Vader pulls them from Hyperspace and takes out their Dark Jedi butts.

Well done.

8. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I loved it. Good job. I picked out a few intonation problems in the musical performance, but I am assuming some of them are supposed to be there, like the stinger note just before the "Wrong species" line.
    Overall the musical performance was very good and didn't detract from the movie experience at all, but added to it. The first transition made the sound seem "washed out" compared to Williams' stuff, though.

I enjoyed this film immensely, and have been taking notes for my own film. :) And here's a fun fact for you: It actually _did_ fit into canon!

Palpatine established a little dark side playground on the planet of Byss and voided the Rule of Two after the Jedi were wiped out. Naturally he'd still be in charge. There would be no other masters because hey, he planned on living forever with cloned bodies.

Chris

Think that's far out? Look at Star Trek ;P

9. Bedivere13

Bedivere13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Thanks to everyone who asnwered my question on the pronunciation of "EXECUTOR". Once again, my congrats to the BA team...

By the way, don't call me "bud".

10. GarenLiLorian

GarenLiLorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    Excellent, Amazing, Fantastic job. Overall, very well done. A few little details...

-the cockpit sets were simply fantastic. I've seen MUCH worse on nationally syndicated TV. I was blown away by all the details. Many kudos for that.

- Technically, excellent. I, however, have to agree with those who found the opening chase to be a bit slow, the ships sort of move lazily, and I had a hard time staying in the moment.

-The saber fight didn't do it for me. The unarmed fighting was excellent, really well done, and it surprised me that the saber action would be a bit slow, with a little of the "clacking blades together" effect without any deadly intent. All the fighting that was done without sabers was very well done and believable.

-I didn't have any problem with the "rule of two" thing, but it did surprise me that the two Sith apprentices were...well... so NICE all the time. I'd think Vader would have trained THAT out of them pretty quickly.

- I had a problem with *spoiler*

The bounty hunter being a jedi (or at least, Force sensitive) The empire went to a lot of trouble to try to eradicate the Jedi, and I can't believe Vader would let a known Force sensitive individual simply roam the galaxy. Thor would be either dead, or a "proper' imperial. Just 'cause he's a Dark Jedi doesn't mean he's neccessarily on Vader's team. Heck, that was the point of the whole film!

In general, though, wonderful job.

11. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    sqerl says:
    I don't know whats funnier:
    That "anyone with a camera" can make a movie or "anyone with a brain" thinks they're Siskel and Ebert

And this is supposed to mean what exactly ??? :confused:

12. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    I don't know, TAC, but you gotta admit it's clever. :)

-Chris

13. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    It's either clever or insulting.
    I'd kinda like to know which.

14. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    <<I don't know whats funnier:
    That "anyone with a camera" can make a movie or "anyone with a brain" thinks they're Siskel and Ebert>>

Would you prefer it if everyone here posted nothing but "This is the best fan film ever!!"?

15. citizen-X

citizen-X Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    in reply to
    Bedivere13
    "B: You've got to wonder at why Vader, when he knew EXACTLY where the pair were, chose to send a BOUNTY HUNTER instead of simply following with the EXECUTOR. "

When writing the script with nick..the reason is that Vader had 2 things hassling him. Tracking down the "pilot" who destroyed the death star... and the two apprentices gone run aways :p

You might think why he didn't get thor to find out about the pilot.. The intention was to blend it with the general storyline of starwars which i believe Vader knew fully after "a new hope" that his son was responsible for the attack hence the escape of two *apprentices* would be less off a problem than his own blood learning the ways of the force that he could convert to the darkside.

"B: What saved the girl when Thor blasted her? It looked like it got her pretty much in the 'ole pumper."

From what i have read from the novels. The force could be used to absorb or (tryin to think of the word) de-highpowerise it :p. meaning..she still takes the knock of the blast but the energy thats packed with the blaster beam doesn't cook her insides..more or less dissipates..still causing the temporary unconsciousness(especially cause shes a apprentice..not trained fully in the force)..soz spelling is goin off the board here.. no sleep..

I hope this clarifies things..
    if i have contradicted myself in anyway..damn.. :( dont bite me

16. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    Congratulations on such a fantastic movie! I really enjoyed it. I hope you don't mind but I am going to post your film site's link in the Sci-Fi directory of http://www.fanflicks.com/ Great job! I just have one word for y'all: Sequel!

17. floydman

floydman Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    After watching BA 5 more times I finally got the whole pregnancy thing. I also found something that bugged my. When the two apprentices start to kiss the forst time and get interupted they walk away from it way to fast. I think think they should have hesitated a little bit before moving on.

just htought I would share

now I can go watch BA for the 6th time

Peace
    the floydman

18. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    Finally gave in and downloaded this puppy before I got my VHS copy...

Now I have two people to hate... Mugwump for stealing my title, and Vidman for making me go back and fix all my dodgy FX shots that I thought I'd get away with in my own film...

Even though I might be a little biased, I still think BA was a damn fine effort.

SPOILERS
    --------

(who am I kidding - you've all seen it by now)

I got the "in your condition" and "all of us" line straight away... though probably nothing to do with the fact that my partner is 6.5 months Up-the-Duff! I liked that aspect of the relationship between the Dark Jedi - but I agree with what someone above said about the "almost" kiss - they broke away too quickly, kinda like they were both embaressed about it (the characters, not the actors)

I have to disagree with what someone else said about the Aussie accents -- they were mostly pseudo-English and pseudo-American...

And then halibut and someone else were arguing over Vader almost being executed by Palpy and how Palpy would have blamed Tarkin -- well... Palpy was a little annoyed with Vader for the whole Death Star thingy and took Vader's right hand as punishment... But this has nothing to do with BA...

I can't really say anything else that hasn't already been said -- so I'll leave it at...

"Troops", "Bounty Trail" and "Broken Allegiance" are the Top 3 Star Wars Fan Films...

:D

"GO YOU BIG RED FIRE-ENGINE !!!"

19. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    That in my opinion has got to be in one of the best Fan Films I've ever seen. It's right up there with Duality!!
    The FX were better then the FX in a lot of TV shows I've seen. The only issue I had with it was that the dialog was drowned out & hard to hear at times.

20. Inkthinker

Inkthinker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    "... Palpy was a little annoyed with Vader for the whole Death Star thingy and took Vader's right hand as punishment... "

??

Must be an EU thing... dammit, can't go on without getting into spoiler territory. Where was that stated?

21. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    WOW. That's a keeper, and one of my new faves.

Special effects were flawless.
    "Wrong species" and "Boba Fett" jokes were great.
    Fact that Vader gestures as Vader should was even greater, and in fact probably what really made the film 'come alive' for me. Those little things are so important.

But there is that opening crawl grammar issue... *sigh*

I was totally not expecting 15:08. Came right out of the blue, really surprised me (in a good way). I was glad you did that rather than have him give a speech, or dramatically raise his hands and pause, or something.

Congrats!

Rick McCallum loves you and wants to buy you Boba Fett!

22. SilentSliceR

SilentSliceR Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2002
    Well I always been a die hard fan of starwars yet never really look at it much on the net. Only Fan film i've had is Troops, until I stumlbled on this little gem at www.overclockers.com.au

When seeing it had been made by australians , and me living in melbourne, I thought it must be good. After downloading it I must say it was an incredible film to watch. It really felt like it was a star wars film. This movie really is gold.

In the scene where Captian Hanard and the storm troopers land. If you notice the the second trooper to the back on the left, you'll see his suit is a bit yellow. Looks like he could get those "stuborn grass stains" out ;)

One question. Where abouts was the movie filmmed in melbourne? :)

PS: I think i know why there transport ship was slow, It was constructed of old 486 mobo's :D

23. SilentSliceR

SilentSliceR Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2002
    wait, it wasn't captian hanard. It's lutenit somthing. Dunno, didn't catch his name.

24. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    Azeem has now posted online the story the Australian Today Show ran on Channel 9 regarding Broken Allegiance.

To also answer an earlier question, B.A. was shot on location in Werribee Gorge National Park, near Bacchus Marsh, outside Melbourne, Australia.

25. macman

macman Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    Hi all - Mrs Macman here - the one who checked the opening crawl for grammar.

In reply to Halibut, who queried the use of "has" or "have" in the opening crawl -
    sorry to sound all school marmish, but "pair" is a collective noun, and therefore it is singular. Therefore, saying "the pair has" is correct grammar.:)

The BA team has done a sterling job of the film, by the way. I am so glad it's *finished* at last - it means I get my husband back!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.