main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official BROKEN ALLEGIANCE comments thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord_Rive, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Well Nick,

For the most part, I liked it

I was entertained. As most people have probably mentioned, Vader was a bit much at times. The helmet was an eyesore, but I still liked your Vader. :)

The good:

Acting, editing, story, the additives (extras in background), the pyro

The "could have been better":

Compositing, animation, texturing and details of models, plot movement, Vader, music, Overacting parts, the first encounter with the bounty hunter (wasn't real for me)

The bad:

The ending (after the credits), Over use of the word Vader in the end battle (kind of got annoying), the 'husky' officer seemed like he just wouldn't die ;) , the cockpit felt a bit claustophobic at times

But overall, it was a fun film to watch :)

2. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Funny... I never noticed the helmut. And I still don't notice it. :D

3. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah. I think you guys did awesome.

And to all these people pointing things out...if there was nothing to complain about...

...it would be better than the actual Star Wars. :)

Again, kudos to Nick and the team!

4. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Wow, this movie was truly great, cheers to you! :)

5. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    I thought this film was good but I apparently had higher expectations of it than I should have.

Good:

Some music was good although overall it was a little, inconsistent with Star Wars. The dueling was good, not too much of the everyday ordinary. The firecrackers and such going off add a great touch I really like that. I thought the beginning with the spaceport thingy exploding was really good.

Not so good:

I've seen better sabers, they weren't bad, just not up to par. The CG ships, especially the stolen sith one, could have used a lot of work. For the most part the acting was good, but I thought the bounty hunter majorly overacted at some times.

One thing I didn't understand too is that the lady sith (forgot her name) was shot in the chest and she got up and was fine 2 minutes later with no burn, no hole in her clothes or any other visible signs of pain. Then, she shoots the bounty hunter with the same gun in the same place and he "dies" long enough for them to take his clothes and such.

One other thing I really didn't understand is that, in the beginning it said that Vader trained two sith apprentices to hunt down and kill the one who destroyed the Death Star right? Why didn't he just get that bounty hunter to do it??? He said later in the movie that he never failed him or some jazz... why train two apprentices for over a year when you had a bounty hunter the whole time..?

Again, overall it was pretty good, I just had higher expectations...

6. Vidman

Vidman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2001
    To answer a few questions that have been coming to me via email:

Yes there will be a smaller version available for dialup users.
    I realise 130mb is a lot to download on a 56k modem, so we shall be doing a smaller version of the film which should be about 50mb or there abouts... That should go online in about a week.

Unfortunately no you cannot buy a DVD or VHS of the film.
    Im sure many of you know that the 'prime directive' of making a Star Wars fan film is that you cannot profit from it in any way. Hence I cannot sell DVD or VHS copies of it. One thing I might organise if Azeem is happy to do it, would be put an 'ultra high-res' version online which would be about a 300mb download.
    Picture and sound quality would be excellent.

Broken Allegiance was shot using a Sony PD-150 camera in 16:9 DVCAM format.

There are no plans to make a 'Broken Allegiance II' at this point in time.
    I am sure all those out there who have made a fan film before know what I mean, but for those that havent, it is a hugely time consuming effort, I myself was up till 3am most nights working on it for the past 15 months. A film with this much attention to detail doesnt simply pop out the back of the camera after an afternoons filming! :) So I shall be taking a well deserved break for a while and trying to work on projects that I can actually make money from.

Thanks for everyones praise and constructive comments over the past week. We have taken many of your suggestions on board and are actually working to fix a few of the things that we werent quite 100% happy with. Particular focus has gone into a more detailed audio mix where we have corrected many of the issues people had with the music transitions. When the smaller dialup version goes online, it will be a corrected version. We shall then update the large version of BA as well.

7. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    "Broken Allegiance was shot using a Sony PD-150 camera in 16:9 DVCAM format."

Did you use an animorphic lens, or the PD 150s built in 16x9 mode?

-tm

8. Marchitn

Marchitn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2000
    I think the movie was good
    acting was better then other films
    3d was good
    story was diffrent for a change
    ending was good
    i thought the (after credits) thing was both good and bad but mainly good

all in all its worth the download and worth watching

9. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    simply amazing.

congrats to yourself, your crew, and your cast, you all did an excellent job.

I really liked the film and the story, and i liked the little details, like the imps walking in the background, most people would ignore/forget to add details like that.

no real problems i saw that others havn't mentioned, a bit of overacting on the part of the bounty hunter, but it doesn't really matter, overall an excellent film. The one thing that i would love to see is a Special Edition released, with a few of the little things fixed up, and the 3d shots touched up to be a little bit better, don't get me wrong, they were very good, but if they were raised a bit to the realism level of duality or knightquest it would really "match" up with the high quality of the live action, maybe just some better textures...etc. to touch up a few of the scenes.

overall though, a great job, i know what it's like to complete a film. take a break, get some sleep, have some parties, then get started on your next film!!

10. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Overall, I?d say it is good. Not bad, not great.

The good:
    The effects are excellent.
    Vader?s costume & voice are pretty much dead on.
    The way they escaped from the tractor beam. Why hasn?t anyone else ever thought of that?!

The bad:
    The acting - not everyone, but most of the main actors needed work.
    The fights are boring and just seemed too slow. After seeing the documentary with the two guys who choreographed the fights and trained the actors I expected much more. Look at Duality ? now that?s some good fighting. Duality set the bar and this doesn?t even come close.
    The bounty hunter?s helmet looks like it?s made of chewy marshmallow!
    The ending after the credits is very predictable.

The ugly:
    The romance between the two sith. The scene where they almost kiss is so bad that I actually laughed out loud!

The tolerable:
    The story is better than some fan films and worse than others.

11. Darth_Wiggle

Darth_Wiggle Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    I am totally in awe of the technical brilliance of the film! The lightsabre effects were fantastic, the force lightning was amazing!.

One little comment on the fight choreography, is that it looked a little 'slappy' in that the intention was to 'crash lightsabres' and not really STRIKE the opponent. It LOOKED like not a lot of force was being delivered with those blows. Picky I know, but it shows up glaringly and leads to suspension of disbelief.

My biggest gripe, however, is the whole premise behind the plot. Two 'whiny' kids (why do all kids in starwars have to be whiny?') decide 'Hey! I don't want to be a Dark Jedi anymore, let's scoot!!)

I mean really!... The Dark Side is not easilly 'abandoned', and I can't imagine a Sith Apprentice (let alone two of them) just deciding, hey!! lets go!..

Still! I loved it! As an aussie it's great to see something so polished come out locally. Kudos for you guys!..

12. sqerl

sqerl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    link64PD/JediTAC

relax boys! it was only a benign comment... however, if you're feeling guilty about something :D

:p

:D

sqerl

13. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Wiggle (If that is your real name :p)

I got the impression that this wasn't a simple 'up and go' escape. They were brought together to be trained and it is there the romance developed. Plus as she has one on the way I can't imagine parents wanting to hang around. There are suggestions of a great deal of backstory to this film, I'm sure the whoe reason for there wanting to leave is another movie.

(Prequel please!)

{Pete

14. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998

Sorry I got in here so late, but I wanted to post and tell everyone involved with BA that you guys did a fantastic job.

Congradulations. You guys deserve it.

15. DarthKyp99

DarthKyp99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    for those who have read heir to the empire wasnt the scene where they escaped from the tractor beam a little similar to where luke escaped from the chimera. its been a while since i read the book but it seemed like he destroyed a tractor beam in a very similar way

16. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I dunno about HTTE but the thing with the missiles destroying the tractor beam projector was done in Dark Empire 2.

As for BA - the Sith girl getting shot then getting back up again without so much as a singe irritated me, but overall a very slick production, and mighty entertaining to boot. Nice effort.

17. citizen-X

citizen-X Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    Please refer to page 6 of this thread where i explain why she wasn't roast sith.

And DarthKyp99 good pickup. I am a avid reader of starwars novels and thought the method skywalker used against the chimaeras tractor beam a perfect example to use in the script as it signifies the desperation and "taking a huge risk" by doing that trick.

18. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Please refer to page 6 of this thread where i explain why she wasn't roast sith.

Yeah I read that. Fair enough. But it should've been illustrated in the film.

19. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    hello everyone, i just want to start out by saying i have not read all of the posts on here, and i'm just going to give my thoughts on this movie.

first i'd like to congratulate the team that made this movie. you all did an excellent job on it, it kept me very well entertained. i especially liked the many twists near the end of th emovie it was very exciting. my only prblems that i would like to see fixed in this movie are technical, and minor. a few of the ship screens towards the end are very fuzzy and hard to see. other than that it looks great. also, the fight seen did need a touch more action, it was kind of dull, but still very good and entertaining. and another thing i really liked was how it went from lightsabres to just fighting, that was a good twist not done before. i'm still confused as to what the after credits RRRAGHH was for though???

i would like to know, what program did you use to make the lightsabres with? which tutorial did you follow or did you do it your own way? i was very pleased with the results, except that maybe they should be toned down a touch they were a tiny bit bright.

all in all, excellent fan-film and my favorite by far, despite the 5 hour download :) keep the great movies coming in between the official movies to keep all us star wars fans on our toes. thanks for the movie and GOOD WORK!

~~GrEvEs

20. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I think its safe to say that you guys did great, i especially liked the design of the bounty hunters ship, very cool, and the idea of the BH being a Sith was a nice addition

well done

21. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Well, I saw it at Skyforce yesterday. Overall, not a bad film at all. I LOVED the effects wordk, though the sabers seemed a wee bit to solid to me. Dunno what made em so, they just felt...solid. Also the choreography, while good, needed to be stepped up a level in terms of speed and power; someone else said it best: U were hitting sticks, u werent dueling. There was no sense of danger.

the only other minor complaint I had was...well, I guess its a question. When the female got shot, she fell and acted all unconcsciouslike. But then she just got up like she was fine! No mention of a woud or anything. Was i the only one who found that odd???

Overall though BA ruled. LOTS of fun to watch, great effects and story and awesome acting. The guy who played the male Sith , is he in anything else? He looked familiar. The Vader ruled, as did the voice. It was Spot on! and i liked the bounty hunter design, though as said, it felt trekish. but hell it was great. The lightning effect was sharp too.

impressive work boys.

22. citizen-X

citizen-X Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    hehe ill say it again..page 6 for an explanation as to why calis wasn't roast sith

23. jedi_slayer

jedi_slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    BA was awesome...and the best thing about the movie was Niobe Dean...oh yea she is smokin...she looks awesome on the today show..so yea that was a great movie..the effects were really good with Niobe in them..no i will be serious now:
    The Movie overall was awesome,
    The effects were very well done,
    The music was ok but at sometimes it seemed a bit off tune,
    The acting was good with Niobe and all.
    The lightsaber fight did seem a bit slow especially when the Niobe and that other guy swing there lightsabers underneath that guy and he does a front roll..but the fight was still pretty awesome.
    So that was my babble...did i mention that Niobe is really hot?
    >>Garrett

24. icicle

icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2000
    Something that nobody has mentioned is the lightning coming from the apprentice. This is more of an opinion but I would think that with all of the "anal" fans on this board that someone would have trashed this idea coming from anyone other than the emperor or an ultra powerful sith.

I think the effect was very well done. So that is not my issue. But there was a point during th making of Seeds of Darkness where I wanted to have the Sith Lord shoot lightning at the Padawan Mira Naolos. The rest of the guys involved shot it down and stated that only the emperor should be able to do that. They also added that it would get "dogged" big time by the TFN folk. So we eliminated it.

I guess you guys are getting more tolerant of "non canon" type things. While this isn't a biggy I thought someone else would have brought it up by now!

25. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Page 6 of what?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.