main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Brownies Thread:(okay, it's the Official Willow Thread)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JediMasterKendo, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I like this film a lot but I haven't seen it in years. Does anyone have the DVD, and if so, what are the special features like? I might buy it if it comes with some extra goodies.

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Its pretty decent, theres a commentary by Howard, a behind-the-scenes featurette and I think a featurette on the special effects. Nothing spectacular but it sells for a low price.

3. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

cool! thanks...sounds like a reasonable bargain

4. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Actually its Warwick Davis that does the commentary, it would be very interesting to have a commentary by Howard though seeing as how he had trouble directing while Lucas was looking over his shoulder the whole time.

5. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    How do you know that?

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    My mistake, I was thinking of the Cocoon dvd that he did a commentary on.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    "You -are- great!"

I love this movie. It was heads and shoulders beyond any other fantasy movie put out up until that point, and even with today's technology most attempts (Lord of the Rings excluded of course) still fall short.

The soundtrack was above average considering it wasn't done by Williams.

8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    'Willow' is and will probably forever remain one of my favorite movies of all time, in any genre. As a SUPER GEEK and hardcore Fantasy fan, I could probably watch this movie a million times and not get sick of it. I still haven't gotten around to reading the follow-up novels, though, mainly because they're so dang hard to find at my local library.

Davis's commentary on the DVD is interesting, although I would love to have gotten some commentary from Lucas and Ron Howard as well.

9. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Well I'm sure we'll get Lucas's commentary on the Willow SPECIAL EDITION where he updates all the special efx he was unable to do at the time. ;)

10. TheCosmicGeek

TheCosmicGeek Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2008
    I love this movie. I even bought those sequel books they made written by Chris Claremont, but I still need to read them.

There was a scene of a fish boy attacking Willow?

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I loved Willow when I saw it and I've been fixing to go see it again. I remember seeing toys for Willow as a kid and flipping out because I thought the movie was so cool and had no clue they made toys.

12. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Yes there was originally a fishboy that attacked Willow while Willow was going to that island were Razeal was at. the fishboy scene is in the movie tie in novel and even the old comic book adaptation.

Also about the toys of Willow yeah I still have a few of them left. I have the Knockmarr soldier, a death dog, Aerik and General Kael.

13. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Willow is a great film and to be honest, I'm surprised they never made a sequel. They kind of set it up so there could potnetially be a second one. Would be nice to come back and see Dana as an adult.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Speaking of sequels: here's an interesting interview with Chris Claremont, who wrote the 3-book cycle sequel Shadow Dawn. Here's the part on Willow:

Willow sequel, Shadow Dawn, and more

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Never read those novels, but I'd love to see a live-action return to the Willow universe. How perfect would it be to bring back Ron Howard and get Bryce Dallas as the adult Elora Danan? If they did this and aimed for a script that went a little beyond the Lord of the Rings/Star Wars mash-up style from the first film, I think Lucasfilm could have something capable of attracting a pretty sizable audience. You could attract the "mainstream" that went for Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (while simultaneously going back and marketing the original film to those who missed it). The hardcore Star Wars/Lucasfilm films would be a given. Perhaps even a lot of prequel/Indy IV detractors might jump aboard if the project were to capture that certain "old school" feeling while still being original in its own way.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Warwick has mentioned that George told him bout a possible TV show at one point.

I never thought of Bryce Dallas but that's pretty ingenious casting.

17. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I havent seen this movie yet but since Warrick is in it, it is automaticly awsome!

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You haven't seen Willow?

You really should give it a shot. Classic story with funny moments and good action set pieces. Also a nice blending of traditional and cutting edge fx for the time that marked many late '80's films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.