Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    *ADMINS* Please make this topic sticky until work is completed if you would be so kind.

I've spoken with Kim and Tim and the RMFF shall begin work on the X-Wing starting on the 27th of November (yes, this coming weekend).

Tim (Kitrusapien) is still the official lead on the project, but I'll be heading up the RMFF Team Lead position to ensure there is a coordinated plan when we work on her.

The plan is to get her in perfect 3/4 scale Red 5 specs. A lot of shoring up and supporting work needs to be done, as well as an accurate paint job (she's close, but a little off in places).

I have all the reference photos we need for detail work, and Tim will be helping out as he can to ensure our QC is up to specs.

I'll be posting a comprehensive checklist of what needs to be done (hopefully Zoo or Terry can get us our own page where I can post the info and progress pics).

Anyhoo, we'll need to start collecting supplies and such, and I will post that wish list as well. If we can get a sponsor like Lowes or Home Depot to help with supplies, I am all for it. PM me if you know of a sponsor and the RMFF and WOTR will work out the details.

Even if you cannot physically work on the bird, you can always help with vital supplies like paint, wood, metal, etc. If you'd just like to donate funds, please send them to our Treasurer so there is accounting.

I realize we're getting into the holiday season and people will be busy. This is OUR baby, so let's do a bang-up job on her to get her ready for her January send-off.

Please keep this thread to work topics/scheduling/planning only. Feel free to PM me about anything else.

Kev
  2. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So...waitwaitWAIT...

I'm assuming that means the bird is going to C3??!?!?1?/!ONE!!!

Does this mean we need new t-shirts for C3? LOL.
  3. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be correct. I got verification from Tim last week. This does NOT mean plans can/will be changed, but we're working on it as if it will.
  4. Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA

star 5
    we might need new shirts.
  5. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's concentrate on getting her fixed up before we get too far into the T-Shirt thing.

Not that I'm against the idea, but lets put the horse before the cart.

I'll be heading up on Friday (if it's open) to do some preliminary scanning for damage, and on Saturday to actually start buying materials and working stuff. I may be able to get the welder up there then so we can start making her structurally sound again.

She came back in managable shape, but my focus is to get her perfectly new as best we can so she won't come back in that condition ever again.
  6. melodyann Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ack.

We still need to work on C3 costumes, too.

But I'm pretty sure I can get up there at least once to work on it. Might have to take vacation during the week and sneak out, though. LOL.
  8. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We might need to get some more shirts for the rest of the people helping out, but I think the desing you have is dead on for the crew.

And yes, it is *assuming* it goes to C3. However, once we get done, they'd be foolish not to take her :D [face_devil]

We have a page already in existence. But I would like to get something a little better up there. Maybe our good friend Grimby could put us together a page and an icon to link it with on the homepage of our site [face_batting] [face_love] :D [face_devil] JP can provide all the details for getting that done.

As for the schedule, accounting, wish lists, and checklists. I can upload those and provide links on an *as needed* basis (meaning PM me and I'll give you the link when they are ready).

And thanks again, COS for stepping up to keep this project organized and functioning. As soon as we have the structural stuff done, I can start with some weekend crew management if you like, as well... Since I only live about 5 minutes from WOTR :p
  9. FenigDurak Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget to put a list together of what people can do on days that you're not around to instruct them. For example, I can go in there on Mondays and Wednesdays during the day hours to do some work, and I'm pretty sure you won't be driving up just to point me around. :)
  10. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, my checklist (that Tim and I will coordinate on)that I've been working on is pretty detailed (and getting more so by the day), so rest assured that if you go on any given day, you'll know exactly what's been completed and what needs to be done.

Instructions will be on the sheet and just initial by it when a specific task has been completed. My number will be on the sheet as well, so when in doubt, call me. ;)

The only thing I'm worried about right now is money for materials. I can get us started, but I'll need people to chip in where they can. I have our welder on retainer, and we have an electronics expert for R2 and the engines, and perhaps a great detail painter.

I also have a Code 3 X-Wing on order that's a museum-quality replica of the Smithsonian Red 5 X-Wing. It'll give us a better idea of where we need to go with it vs the pics I have of the real studio-scale model.

Please PM me for my phone number should you have any questions or ideas.

OOOOO-RAH! ;)
    - Kev
  11. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll be able to put in time, but cash will be pretty short on my end :( [face_empty_pockets]
  12. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Ditto. I'm still hurting from Halloween and excessive prop buying, but I can always hemmorage more money if needed.

Just trying to keep it under $500 this time! LOL
  13. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll see what my schedule holds this weekend. I seem to recall some SG-14 prop-building whatsamajigger or something on Saturday, as well.
  14. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Hyperdyne Labs will be doing some extensive work on R2 and perhaps the lighting and sound system, so things are moving forward.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday working on her, so if anyone wants to help, feel free.

Kev
  15. melodyann Jedi Master

star 4
  16. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I can't help this weekend, but I'll write a check...who to?
  17. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'll be sure to at least stop by, COS... If nothing else than to do a food run for you guys :) However, I think I'll be working most of the weekend
  18. RavLoc_Vos Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm in, I'm In, I'm In

Just let me know where you want me. Wooo Hooo Our Birdy @ C3!! OOOHH Yeah!!
    Later Days...
  19. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd suggest that the RMFF treasurer handle all the funds, so it keeps the funding above board and fully accountable.

Treasurer, please PM me. I can cover funds to a certain point, but we will need to pass the hat this time, cuz I'm pretty broke this payday. ;)

I will buy some of the paint, lighting and supply the electrical stuff. We need other stuff, but I'll make the list up when I get up there on Friday.

I will also leave word with the museum staff that people need to be on our approved list to work on her. I don't just want anyone showing up and messing with all our hard work. There is a game plan, and I want to make sure she's done to exacting specs.

So PM me your (real) names if you even think about coming out to help so I can hand the list to the WOTR staff.

Kev
  20. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

I will see about getting the EL material/inverters for the aft engine tube lights this week.

Please give Kev all the coop you can, folks.....he's really up for the project, but he can't do it alone. This bird literally is OURS so long as we do right by her, so PLEASE do what you can! I know CIII plans are monetarily/mentally/physically drainin' all of us, but this is bound to be one of the RMFF's biggest showstoppers, as the WOTR X-Wing will indeed be one of the highlights of CIII! Honestly, this is totally about the RMFF. The X-Wing may be owned by LFL, but she's our girl, and one of the most prominent faces we present to SW fans everywhere. Rock on, RMFF!

PS: Keep those reciepts as LFL has said reasonable reimbursements will happen! THANKS!!!!!

21. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    COS, can you post some sort of list of supplies/tools/etc. that you will need for the work this weekend? I'd hate to show up empty-handed, if there's stuff I can bring that would be useful.

In fact, an X-Wing Wish List of everything that will eventually be incorporated might not be a bad idea from the get go, so we can start scrounging sooner rather than later.

Kit & COS, thanx again for all of your hard work & contributions thus far.

Also, thanx to EVERYONE who's been involved w/the bird up to this point.
  22. melodyann Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, i only have one request this time around....you all know what it is.

Only 1 mercy plea post per minute is allowed.
  23. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I'll post the list on Friday night (because I have to survey the damage).

For certain, we'll need cleaning materials (like formula 401), paintbrushes, painting trays, turpentine, shop rags (paper works ok), scrapers (razor), but I'll bring the major power and hand tools.

Don't sweat Friday... Saturday will be the first day of actual work. ;)
  24. BFett88 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am always willing to help. Just tell me when and where.
  25. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think the "where" is a given ;) [face_laugh]

Okay, my Friday is looking pretty tight, but I will put some time in on Saturday... COS, just get me your wish list for supplies and I'll upload it Friday night :D
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.