main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    You mean, we don't have it housed in Tim's garage yet???

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    No room for 2 at the inn [face_laugh]

3. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Kev, these are the things I can get at cost at work...tell me if you need any of them.

Lexan
    Plexi
    Lami
    Silicone

4. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    OH! OHH!!!

Silicone sealant, or silicone mold making compound???

5. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    No, dummy...silicone implants...

6. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    you know i am trying my hardest NOT to make a comment...

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    And to think I thought she worked at a glass shop...

So what are Lami's measurements, and is she available for parties?

8. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Hmm Mistress, we do need to replace the cockpit canopy and I may need a sheet of Plexi for it. I will have to tint it a bit with a decent window tinting kit.

9. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Be advised that there may be a seperate former that is interior of the plexi that'll have to be replaced as well, Kev.

10. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Yup, I realized that and planned for it.

Oh, here's the correct paint scheme and greebles we're aiming for...

http://www.rebelscum.com/code3xwing.asp

This is the Code 3 X-Wing, and most accurate painted representation of Red 5. I'm comparing it to the Smithsonian bird and seeing if I can find any differences.

Already, I see details that are missing on ours and plan to replicate them with MDF.

What would be cool is their stand, which tilts the bird like it was flying. And the reveal panels would make it ultra cool, but don't think we will be able to do this or not.

R2's dome will rotate (motion activated & accurately detailed and lit)) and so will the engines if I have my way.

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Also, all panels that are removeable will have to be remade in plexi or aluminum, not wood like the cover for the hoist-point that is no longer used. Do you want me to hold off on the EL plates for the aft engine tubes, Kev, or go ahead and install them leaving the wiring available to link with the controllers? Thanks!

12. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    I say go ahead if you think they'll be bright enough. Hyperdyne was thinking LED clusters for this, but I dunno if the cost will be too high for that.

We will be supplying mains power to it and will use transformers to get it down to a usable supply.

13. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

My opinion.....the best places for LED clusters are the gunpods and the cockpit arrays. They are def best as focused light sources, but the EL's excel when their lightfield is restrained to a closed area viewed from outside said area. Besides, tryin' to wire up that many LED's, clustered or not would be......tough. Just my thoughts.

14. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    very true. I agree with you fully.

15. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Can yu teach my wife to say things like that....and MEAN IT?! FLOL!!!!!

16. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    ROTFLMAO

I've never been able to convince a woman to do anything. ;)

17. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    hey just wondering what time y'all were planning on getting there on saturday. thanks!

18. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    I may not be able to get up there on Friday after all. The damned bank ATM ate my debit card (I put it in after someone left and it didn't recycle to the beginning screen yet) and it's the only way I have to access my dwindling funds.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if they can give me my card back out of the ATM on Friday (they said after 1pm). Kinda screwed until then, can't even gas up the car. LOL

I suspect around 10 or so on Saturday. I'll let you guys know for sure tomorrow.

19. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I may stop by Sat at about 0930 after work to assess the aft engine tubes for the light placements.

20. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    COS, do you still have my cell #? (Let me know either way) Drop me a line Saturday and I can swing by to help out.

And good luck w/ that card thing... I know I'd be screwed for certain :eek: :(

21. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    Well, my thoughts on the cluster LEDs for the engines was to use the premade LED lamps like used in stop lights, truck brake lights, etc. That way they will be very bright and can even be made to pulsate fairly easily. They arent all that expensive either. You dont need to do any complicated wiring since the LEDs are already wired into a standard housing. Plus they will run off 12V no problem.

Here is an example: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Kev, if you need help Sat. shoot me an email. I might be able to stop by for a bit. I have a saw zal if you think it would be useful to cut R2's dome free.

I also have some milk colored plexi for the PSI lights, and can bring my circular drill bit to cut the PSI holes, holoprojector holes, etc.

The R2 sound board and lights are on order right now.

Jim

22. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    i am really excited about R2...HD thanks for your input on this!

COS-if you are planning any other time than 10...could you give me a call...i won't be online for the rest of the weekend. thanks!

23. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Sounds like you have great plans for R2. I do have a sawzall and a dremel if needed, but we may need your hole saw, as I don't have one.

I'd agree that the LEDs would be better for a pulsating effect, just don't know how to generate it effectively.

We'll concentrate on some paint planning and general cleanup on saturday (better to get a clean surface first) and begin planning. Also may do some greebles that she's missing in MDF (epoxy'd and screwed in to ensure they won't go anywhere).

I was also thinking of a locked canopy so we could place a Rebel Pilot maniquin without the helmet disappearing like last time.

I have all the printouts of what the paint scheme should look like when we're done, so we should be pretty well set.

I plan on getting there around 10am.

Kev

24. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    Sounds good. If you need any other tools, let me know. I have a small drill press, small belt sander, small scroll saw, dremel, and other tools that can easily be transported in a pinch.

I have the plexi for the R2 PSI lights and will be attempting to acquire 3 of the resin holoprojectors.

BTW, I finally uploaded some pics of my studio scale Xwing "Red 5" painted by a professional who works for Master Replicas (he painted their AT-AT master). You are welcome to use the pics to cross reference, etc.

Note that they are 7 megapixel pics and quite large.

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/xwing

25. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

If ya'll want, I'll hold off on the EL plates so further eval of the aft engine tubes can be done. If the LED's are the answer, pulsing the power will pulse the brightness, altho I've never seen them pulsate in any of the films....am I missing something? FLOL! By the way, if the LED clusters are used, the cluster should be the diameter of the inside of the tube with a secondary "star" plate over the face of it to give the pattern that is identified in the movies, not just an ambient, solid lightfield.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.