main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Ah no problems. We'll get her all sorted out.

I do need someone with a handheld orbital sander so we can attack the stripes tomorrow (red side stripes that signify Red 5). I don't have one, but I'll bring the other tools I think we'll need.

We also have to do the blue barbershop spirals on the gunports.

We will have to buy paint, brushes, and some wood tomorrow. There is a full stocked wood shop in the museum, just have to sweet-talk Royal to let us use it for greeble work.

I do have epoxy and such, and will be bringing that with me as well.

See you all at 10am. ;)
    Kev

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Are we still planning on re-shooting the thing to get it the right base color?

3. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

It really should be rebased at some point, but we would have to pull it outside for that, and I don't think current weather is gonna cooperate! I have an orbital sander and paper....I'll bring it tomorrow.

4. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Yeah, the base coat will have to stay for the time being until the weather will cooperate. The main areas will be correct detailing to official Red 5 blueprint specs.

The red side stripes need corrected to Red 5 specs (3 on left side, 2 on right), as does goldenrod stripes on the nose, wings, and other places. Also need blue barbershop pole stripes on the gunports.

I will have all the pics with me showing exactly what we need to do.

The Code 3 model is quite close, but it is too clean IMHO (just like my Code 3 Slave 1). But it also shows the decals we are missing on our bird.

No worries folks. I have a definite plan in place. As long as it's followed, she'll be the most accurately detailed 3/4 scale bird out there.

Kev

5. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Nice.....we're yur huckleberry's, Kev!

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Roger that, Red Leader ;)

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

PS: I will also bring my jig saw and fine cut blades for removing R2's dome....a big ole' sawzall is gonna maim him fer life, me tinks!!!!

8. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    You guys rock!

Wish I was going to be there this weekend, but I'm at work. :(

I'll be there next time.

oh yes I will.

9. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    On my way, finally. See y'all shortly.

10. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I've got to run a few errands, and then I'll swing by... Probably call ahead to see if you guys need anything to eat :)

11. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    today was pretty productive...at least we got most of the paint picked up.

a few of us will be out tomorrow if you are interested. :)

12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

HEY!!!! Nice workin's so far, ya'll! Kev, yur doin' a great job, and thanks to SS/MA for their purchasin'/runnin' around fer paint and shtuf! Sorry I had to bail early, but HEY, how 'bout that fat 'ol blue barber-pole, eh what?!

PS: Did anybody save my jacket???? FLOL!

Thanks!

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I should be out @ WotR again today around Noon.

Kit, we found your jacket. Not sure who has it at this point, though.

14. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Weather may be a real factor today... Don't know what it's doing down your way SS, but it's gettin' kinda nasty on the WOTR Side of Town :(

15. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    kit-your jacket is with the other materials at the WOTRs.

16. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    Awww...if I had known, i would've been out yesterday to help. I would like to today but got to get ready for new job and going Bronco's game tonight. Gonna see the Radier Degeneration get used to mop up the snow with. I can't wait.

17. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Just got back in town late last night, so no go for today, I will read thru the entire thread, I saw something about $$$$$, so I will get on that..

18. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    wish I could have been there to help this weekend. Does anybody go out during the week? I could go out on Tuesday or Friday and do some painting or whatever else anyone thinks I could do.

19. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I believe FD was going to start some weekday work, as soon as she finished finals

20. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Feel free to go out during the week. The reference pics are with the materials. Just remember to go dirty with her. There's a fine line between too dirty and not enough (see the Code 3 model pics, way too clean).

Jim (Hyperdyne) has R2's dome for a retrofit, and he managed to get the power supplies installed under the cockpit. We also tenatively painted the barbershop poles, but they need to be even (both the blue and grey are equally sized).

Be careful for the light grey we bought. It is way too light, but great for a solid base coat to go over later.

The nose needs accurately detailed (see the reference pics) as do the Red 5 stripes on the wings (they are awy too long, need to be short and fat as in the pics).

I'll post the list tomorrow of all that needs done. Just remember to sign in at the front desk to get credit for your work.

Kev

21. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Sorry we didn't get a chance to help this weekend. Once school slows down after the 15th it'll be easier for both of us to help.

22. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    I have the R2 dome here to install the dome lighting. I plan to finish that when I get the rest of my parts delivered.

Furthermore, in the spirit of not ordering duplicate parts here is a list of what I have on order. Hopefully they will be coming in over the next week.

1) sound board with 40W built-in amp
    2) 5" speaker
    3) R2 PSI sequencing board
    4) R2 dome motor
    5) IEC power receptacle for main power plug
    6) autonomous sound controller board (needs programming)
    7) autonomous R2 dome rotation board (needs programming)
    8) 40' of wire!
    9) spade plugs to wire everything to the 12V terminal block
    10) IR motion detection modules (for sound controller)

If anyone wants to get the engine LED lamps, that would be awesome since I have not acquired them. The engine ports were measured at 3.8" I.D. I found some truck LED assemblies that are 3.3" for about $7 a piece. The brake light assemblies run more, about $25 a piece but they are also 4" in diameter.

I will have more info once all the stuff comes in...

23. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I got the LED lamps covered provided I can find where yu saw them at....FLOL!

24. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I've seen plenty of those 4" LED clusters(and the ones with flange mounts might work), but I haven't been able to locate any of the 3.3" ones.

25. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    MA & I got some more painting done yesterday. I picked up new paint as well, so we should be good to go there.

Kit, your jacket is in the cockpit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.