Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That would appear to be a great thing, but as of right now, we aren't totally sure what shape the bird itself is coming back in yet... Be nice to get that one financed before we start on something else, don't ya think> :confused:
  2. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    I suspect most of that will be carpentry and welding... Two areas we have access to at the museum.
  3. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm also looking at having the X-Wing put in the other hangar so we can work on it unrestricted, and THEN move it out when it's ready for display... How's that sound for you>
  4. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    That sounds great to me. I suspect we could do the work in a month if pressed. I'm trying to line up help now... No more paying people to help (i.e. our welder last time).
  5. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, you know you've got me to help wherever I can :D

Hoping to have the rest of the website running next week :)
  6. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    I think we'd be better served to upgrade Artoo first, before bringing in Goldenrod. What ever came of Don Bies' offers to help us retrofit an Artoo unit in the Bird?
  7. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
    Don flaked and R2 is doing just fine now. ;)
  8. BerusBantha Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, whenever it gets back I am ready and willing to help with whatever I can again.
  9. Sarnia WOTR Liaison

star 5
    Hey Zoo

do you want me to check on space and availibility of tools in Hanger 2?
  10. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That would be great... I briefly mentioned it to Matthew, but Im willing to bet he's forgotten ;) I was going to set up an appointment with him once we had a shipping date
  11. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    I am able to help out too since it is like 10 mins from my office. :)

Just keep me updated!
  12. hyperdyne Force Ghost

star 3
    The 3p0 parts are being made by Mardon in the Philipines. It is a fiberglass suit that is semi accurate. BTW, I will be making some spare parts of my suit sometime in the near future FWIW. We have a vacformed head done already and it is very cool! Next is the plating. Some pieces could possibly make their way to a display suit... ;)

13. Sarnia WOTR Liaison

star 5
    the following is posted as an FYI as it all needs to be considered in whatever plans we make:

First of All:
    For Legality reasons Wings needs to track every hour volunteered to the museum for working on anything including exhibits.

The importance of this was recently expressed to me and my understanding is that it affects everything from our taxes to the amount of grant money we recieve

so

as we do need to make sure that any project we do for the museum that is long term, that we make sure we do it within their volunteer structure

and that way I am not combing back through threads and gestimating hours put in again

now volunteer hours are tracked under individual names in a format set up by the museum

it comes down to every hour donated to theh museum in whatever form has to be tracked

period

end of story

every hour Zoo has put in helping me on various things has been logged
    every hour LordMaul has helped out with kids events has been logged
    every hour my boyfriend has helped has been logged

Second of All:

for the record the X-Wing is housed and maintained by the WOTR Museum. LFL has put them as the responsible party

As such ultimately the decision to display it or not, to upgrade the exibit or not, where in the museum to display it is up to the museum. So any work that is to be done by anyone, we need to make sure we keep them in the loop.

That all being said, I know that Matt Burchette (curator) is excited about the potential and can't wait for the bird to get back

Again, this is all just an FYI=)

::takes off her "what is in the best interest of the museum" hat and gets back to work::

14. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm hoping to set up some kind of conference call or something once we have a firm shipping date so all the particulars can be discussed.

As for the hours thing, I totally understand. The board, the IRS, and the potential donors all need to know just how many volunteer hours it takes to run the museum. This makes all the difference in tax deferrments, grant proposals, budgeting and future (read: hopeful) staff improvements. Tracking those hours means a heck of lot more than reimbursed tickets; it means the museum can pay its bills, get more corporate donations, and benefit from other programs because of their level and type of volunteer committment (do you really think all those vets are there by accident? ;) ).

We are extremely fortunate that we have been given as much free reign as we have throughout this project. The Maintenance Crew for this project is the one doing all the restoration/repair work, but ultimately, it belongs to Big Daddy G and is entrusted to WOTR for everything. We have a unique opportunity in this not-so-little endeavour, in that we now have the full support of WOTR and its staff, we have been given the "seal of approval" for our work by LFL, AND we still get to play with the coolest X-Wing to ever be created in real life.

Hopefully all that makes sense, and I can put down my little pep-rally hat again ;) [face_blush]
  15. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6

The TOS prevent me from commenting upon what type of hat I thought it was....
  16. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
  17. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  18. COS_Vader Jedi Master

star 4
  19. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks for all of the updates gang!

Can't wait till she comes home!
  20. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So what you're saying is, is that since the museum is now logging all the volunteer work, does this mean if say, I become involved with the project this year that I can gets a receipt with some nice yummy tax writeoffs for next year? Mayhaps? Pretty please?
  21. Sarnia WOTR Liaison

star 5
    I am not sure how all that works, but when I get back to Colorado I can ask=)
  22. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    Zoo, you may or may not know this:

Tim Zahn upcoming appearances:

Florida eXtravaganza Jan. 27 - 29.

Stellar Con Feb. 17 - 19. (Also featuring Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston & Elaine Cunningham)

I believe that Outbound Flight is still slated for a Jan. 31 release date.

23. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I did... And we are still in a holding pattern until we get a shipping date
  24. Tev_Torbek Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, I don't get to post here much anymore, so i don't have time to read thru all the 38 pages on this thread. When is the X-Wing homecoming and when and where can I volunteer to help since i am once a free man?
  25. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Post just above yours pretty much says it all... We're in a holding pattern until we get a shipping date
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.