main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Kit, I PM'd you the link for ordering the LED clusters (that Hyperdyne sent me).

The correct paint scheme is on the pics that are up there (how the Smithsonian/Magic of Myth bird looks, which is what we're aiming for.) The Code 3 X-Wing paint scheme is wrong, but that's what I'm using for greeble details, which I'll cut out this coming weekend (and remove the incorrect ones on our bird).

The problem is, the Smith/MOM bird is Red 3 (not 5), so the stripes on the side are different (I have them corrected on our bird). I am going to see what I can get from LFL to do it right.

I would just concentrate on accurately redoing the red stripes on the wings, detailing the nose correctly, and working out the electronics (which Hyperdyne is doing).

This coming weekend we will have the blown up pics to use as a painting reference.

Kev

2. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Here's a good pic of the paint detail that I'm aiming for...

http://xpi.org.uk/~swma/archives/ref_mat/rebel/14/xwing-ref.jpg

I've also contacted LFL in the hopes that they can provide high resolution pics so we can get a better idea how to paint her to specs.

The big problem is that the studio scale paint jobs vary so much between x-wings. And DVD screen caps just don't have the resolution to dissern enough detail to be useful.

If she was really messed up, it'd be cool to do the Dagobah X-Wing, but she's in too good shape for that. LOL (Just kidding).

Anyways, examine the above pic and assume that's a good start for what we're aiming for.

The Code 3 X-Wing that I ordered should be coming this week, so it'll give us a great start on where to do the detail greebles.

Thanks to everyone for taking this on. I think by mid-January, she'll be the most accurate touring X-Wing in the world!

Keep up the great work and god bless all who dig deep into their pockets to help make this a reality for the fans!

Kev

3. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can show up sometime after noon on Saturday... As soon as I defrost that is... Since I'll be standing in line before the crack of dawn for my Studio C album

4. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    that is a good picture.

i have a question...are we going for the different panels being painted?

they weren't quite painted that way...so just curious. Thanks! :)

also, i am not sure what saturday is looking like yet...if at all possible i want to get the cockpit touched up.

5. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    In the end, the different panels will be painted different colors. We're missing some of the pain colors, but not a big deal. But the greeble work needs to be completed first, which we will cut out on Saturday am (waiting on the reference model to be delivered first).

Then we can attack the cockpit and get it accurately detailed to specs.

It's not hard, nor a lot of work, but I really need to get the welder up there to get the bird stable before we can do anything major. But painting does not effect this, so we can proceed.

6. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I will be there Sat. morning, any idea of an arrival time?

I will pack up sanders, dremels, etc. in case we need extras.

7. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I won't be there until I defrost... Maybe around noon

8. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Wings opens @ 10 AM. I'm shooting for 11, myself.

COS, do we need to bring any additional tools?

9. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Nah, I think we have all the tools we need (if Tim's sander is still there).

We can actually get in earlier, but 10 is a good time (saves me getting up ultra early to drive there from the Springs). ;)

10. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Cyodarun, if you were planning on earlier am then later I can call Royal to get us in before 10am if you would like. And anybody else :D

I wouldn't mind goin in earlier so I can leae earlier, I have a ton of X-mas gifts to make and wanted to finish them up this weekend.

Let me know, a phone call may be better then posting, I don't have much time to get on line lately :(

11. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Thanks fer storin' my jacket, I got it back. And I'm on those LED's like stink on POO_DOO, boyo! The paint-job looks great so far, Kev! Hey, upon further review, I think it may be possible to simply have steel 'appendages' welded onto the landing gear legs to make them look correct....yur thoughts? Also, since the plexi panel is not a supporting member, it may be possible to start with 40grit, and work down to 1000grit to remove the tape and still have a reasonably clear plexi canopy roof if we can't easily replace the existing panel.

12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Right after work Saturday AM I'll head over to WOTR, and I'll bring the sanders.....had to use them this week on a certain other bird....FLOL!

13. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    True. That part of the canopy isn't really noticable from the ground anyways, so I'll do my best to get it off on Saturday, then do the sanding/polishing thing on it. No need to spend the time and money if I can make it work and look good.

14. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    the canopy is all nice and blue...like posted earlier...i want to fix that on Saturday...Not sure when i will be there...depends how late i am up on friday.

15. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I have a sample of something called "Micro-gloss" it is supposed restore acrylic, glass, etc. It is only a small bottle, but we can try it. I think I still have the order form if it works as good as they claim.

SC, I would shoot for 9:00 or 9:30 on Sat. if you are up for it. I have to be home to get cleaned up, etc. for dinner and a play that eve.

16. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    I have some scratch remover still unused from my TX armor and R2 project and think that will work, so no need to buy anything just yet.

17. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    I really really wish I could come Saturday but I am doing Holiday pet photos all day. I wasn't able to get out there on Tuesday either. I might be able to go on Friday for a few hours. What exactly is ready to be painted?

18. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    I don't have the accurate plans up there yet, so just hold off on showing up earlier than Saturday.

Once the plans are up there, you'll be able to see everything that needs to be done.

Kev

19. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Don't forget to get me a list of the things that need to be done, as well as what has been completed... I can put it up on the site and PM the link to those who need it :D Including a certain LFL Rep [face_devil]

20. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Did many Bothans sacrifice their lives to deliver those plans, COS?

21. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    that was beautiful...i laughed outloud. :)

22. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

HUH....she thinks yur kiddin', boss! FLOL!!!!

23. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Ok, I'll hold off going. My understanding was that we were going to repaint the entire bird--is that correct?
    I was just wondering though--What kinds of paint has been bought for it? Is the whole bird being stripped of old paint? This is a big dirty awful job but may be neccessary--at least in some spots. Last time we used both latex (acryllic) and oil paint. This really is not something that should be done. And now if we repaint over everything , especially if we use acryllic over oil--the new paint will not last long as the oil paint will most likely seep up and out through the acryllic paint, thus ruining all the hard work being done on it! At the very least the whole thing should be primed over with a stain blocking type primer to inhibit bleed through. I suppose I may be behind the times here and it may already be primed but if it is not I HIGHLY suggest this step NOT be skipped!!!

Plus--Is the R2 head going to be the same wooden head or is it being switched out for an actual metal dome? It would look so much better that way. I realize this may be too hard to get and too expensive but I know they can be obtained.
    So there is my two cents worth for the day.

24. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    B-actually, R2's head is made of fiberglass. Hyperdyne, took it last week and is doing some adjustments to him. He is going to have electronics, etc. etc. It is going to be way cool. :)

i am not even going to try to explain the painting thing...i will let kevin or tim explain that one.

25. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    B, we are just doing some touch ups right now, in the summer or spring if it's warm enough we are going to primer & re-paint the whole thing, the base color is to dark right now.

So it will be done properly, but not sure when. The R2 & cockpit need the most work right now, I'm so excited we have experts helping us out.

In the end (and it will take some time) the bird will look SWEET!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.