main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official C3 X-Wing Restoration Project Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by COS_Vader, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
  2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Are we sure we CAN be there this weekend? They have the Junior League Holiday Mart this weekend. [face_worried]

3. COS_Vader

COS_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    All your questions will be answered on Saturday morning during a brief intro to the project.

It's VERY important that each one of you know what is going on so things run smoothly (and we don't have to redo stuff several times).

Feel free to bring up any suggestions or issues that concern you, but realize that it may not be possible to implement everything discussed. Tim and I will make the final call.

We have a very tight schedule and in the end will do the best we can. But everything started absolutely must be finished on time.

I'm doing my very best to get the plans together in time, but some things will just have to be 'winged', as there are NO complete LFL reference pics for Red 5.

What we've had to do was create an amalgamation from the various reference pics and hope it works (which it will). There is a fine line between looking 'too dirty' and being accurately painted. In the end, we'll go for an acceptable medium aimed at looking the best.

We will have to lightly go over most of the surfaces with a sander, but willdefinately NOT be stripping the bird, as it presents a hazard and we cannot do it right unless we drag her outside and do it there.

The oil seepage issue is valid in a humid environment, which is why we're trying not to mix paint mediums. This was done in the past, but we'll do our best to ensure all surfaces are properly prepped prior to painting.

Tim and I are not trying to dictate things, but unfortunately there has to be a 'the buck stops here' person in charge. Trust me that every suggestion will be honestly listened to and debated, but it is impossible to implement everything that everyone wishes to do with her to get her ready in time.

The maintenance of this bird is the RMFF's responsibility, and even though we have members of other groups helping us out (R2 Builder's Group, Replica Prop Forums, 501st Mountain Garrison), in the end, we're responsible for her and have to make the hard calls.

Trust me, that in the end, we will have the finest, most accurate 3/4 scale touring X-Wing in the world for all others to be judged by. ;)

Bless all of you who help out physically and financially to make this happen. It'll be a great tribute to the fans!

Kev

4. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah...what he said.

5. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I haven't heard back from Royal yet, regarding whether or not any events/activities at Wings will prevent us from working on the bird this weekend.

6. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Ok, got the word from Royal. Due to events scheduled @ Wings this weekend, we will NOT be able to work on the X-Wing this weekend.

So, don't nobody bother goin' dere to woik on it!!!!

7. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Cool. Hate to say that, but I am so burnt out this week. I'll concentrate on getting the plans ready (and hope that darned Code 3 model comes in).

See ya'll next weekend.

Kev

8. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I was soooo jazzed up to work on this :( the good news, I will have more time to get the xmas lights up.

9. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

I'll stay hot on the LED clusters for the engine tubes and the runnin' lights, and I'll probably be over there some time this week to review some stuff and drop off the sander.

10. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    I hate to say it but I am glad the x-wing can't be worked on this weekend since I could not have been there anyway. I am hoping I can make it next Saturday as I really want to be there to hear what exactly is being done and needs to be done now.

11. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2004
    I might not be able to make it next weekend due to the local fan film shooting - R2 will be there.

At any rate, I did get the R2 eye lights in today and they work great. I also have the sound board here. I will be working on the automated sound controller as well as the automated dome rotation controller board. So I will be busy nonetheless...

12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

Very nice, HD!!!!! Thanks so much fer steppin' up....yur a real credit to the RMFF! And don't yu worry, BB, yu'll get yur chance paintr-extrodinare!

13. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Just to let you all know, I'm down but not out. The Code 3 X-Wing should be coming this week to give us a better idea of how to detail the greebles our 3/4 scale X-Wing is missing. The paint job is not accurate on it (too clean), but the modelling is spot on as they used the studio scale models as a reference.

I may check to see if they'll donate one to the museum, as it shows the insides of the model as if it was real. It's worth a shot, and it is museum quality.

Other than that, we'll have to get a team to cut the MDF for the greebles and I'll draft the paint scheme schematics this week.

I liked Tim's boot ideas for the landing gear, and we'll do that as well.

Thanks Hyperdyne for stepping up far beyond anything we could have hoped. I know we all appreciate it and our bird will be the absolute best because of it.

Kinda disappointed not to hear anything back from Mary Franklin as far as reference details on Red 5, but she's a busy woman. I'll keep plugging away at other LFL peeps to see if they can lend us a hand.

Despite this weekend's off-time, we still have plenty of time to make this all happen. And thanks go out to each and every one of you who've stepped up to the plate to "Git 'er dun"!

Remember that we still need some cash to do some of the things to her, so donate what you can to the RMFF treasurer or when we go on our next supply run.

Kev

14. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    My suggestion on source material would be to contact Sansweet... He is the keeper of all things LFL related, after all ;) But seriously, if anyone could point us in the right direction, it would be him or maybe Paul Ens.

15. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    Chanced across these pics of our bird when she was in Japan in '97 for the SpaceWorld Star Wars Exhibition...

http://www.synapse.ne.jp/~save/prop/spxw2.jpg

http://www.synapse.ne.jp/~save/prop/spxw3.jpg

Shows a few bits that have gone missing over the years, but yes, she's our bird.

Kev

16. BerusBantha

Feb 11, 2004
    So is anybody planning on working on the x-wing on Saturday? If so what time?

17. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    10am start is planned unless I hear otherwise.

18. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I'll be there no matter what I have been freakin to get in and help. I will call Kev Friday to make sure we're doing this thing. Later Days...

19. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    i won't be able to help this weekend...have a SG function.

20. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I have confirmed w/WotR that we have access to the X-Wing this Saturday (tomorrow) & Sunday.

I, unfortunately will not be able to make it this weekend.

Happy building!

21. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    I have to ask the Empress when I will be let out of the Sweat Shop this weekend, but I'm pretty sure I'll be there all day Sunday... Still looking for that list to upload, COS.

22. COS_Vader

Apr 26, 2004
    The Code 3 X-Wing arrived today...

http://www.mg501.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=106

It has the level of detail I want us to replicate for the cockpit and some of the greebles. The paint job is pretty close to accurate (unlike the previous one's I've seen) and dirty, so we can use it as a base and upgrade from there.

We can also use the landing gear as a reference for the boots we'll have to fabricate.

Comparing it to ours, we're missing the landing gear doors, and should probably do that as well to remain accurate.

I have the task list on my laptop, but will probably have to add to it tomorrow.

As stated above, I'll be there at 10am to get started.

Sunday I will be unable to work due to a charity event, but you'll have the Code 3 model and instuctions as a reference.

Kev

23. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001

I may have to work on the bird Sunday instead of Sat due to excess hours at the hospital, but I'll be there fer sure this weekend sometime to measure out the light ports and get on the same page concerning the spec sheets, Kev.

24. BerusBantha

Feb 11, 2004
    I'll be there 10Am tomorrow (Saturday). Can't come on Sunday though as I have to work.

25. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I am out for tomarrow, Sunday will be very unlikely, but I will keep it on the scope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.