main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL: C4 Is The Bomb Thread: C4 in LA, May 24-28 2007

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Is the fact that you live in Indiana from the sound of your post just a coincidence?

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Problem with Indy and May.......

The 500, there are pre-quals going all month. Not to mention you are not going to get a hotel downtown or anywhere in the outer areas. Resturants will all be packed with people who didn't want to go down to the track. You can't just tell a bunch of people who have been driving here for years and spending their hard earned money sorry there's a Star Wars Convention in town please come back next year.

It doesn't work that way. The 500 is pretty much the bread and butter of Indy in May.

~PK~

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Actually, he lives an hour from Indy and is afraid of flying which is why he won't accept CIV being anywhere other than Indy.

Anyway, if it ends up being LA, having a quick look at the hotels in the area I'd be preferring the Sheraton. It's the closest and has good rooms despite the slightly higher cost. Considering that there is in all likelihood going to be some deals made for accommodation, what the offer might be the deciding factor.

4. Fat_Trooper

Fat_Trooper Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2005
    There are a couple of huge advantages to having it in LA. First is the fact that many of the actors themselves live in the LA area. This could mean even more celebs making it to the event and staying longer. Secondly is the fact that we would be very near to all things Lucas. Imagine the collection of props that could be shipped to the convention in a few hours possibly providing the largest public viewing of all things Star Wars. Also imagine how easy it would be for employess, and equipment from ILM or any other Lucas company to make it to the convention providing an amazing amount of presentations and round tables. Potentialy a celebration in LA could blow all the others away.

I wasn't thrilled with the Idea of having it in LA myself. I liked Indy and it didn't cost an arm and leg, not to mention it was only a 6 hour drive. However, if they do LA and do it right by pulling on all the avalable resources in the area, We could really have something special making it worth it.

5. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    This is a quote of a quote from the Indy Knights' forums...the person with the info is good friends with the IK president, who I am quite friendly with :p , so the info is good and probably could be verified by others, plus I like the reasonings & arguments he makes for L.A., so it's a good read for those of us who've never been there:

6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    And don't get me started on whether or not there will be a C4...Mary Franklin who will be running C4 for LFL asked Rick McCallum if he would come to the event back in one of his Hyperspace chats...this was being thought about as soon as C3 ended, even before ROTS came out.

7. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I've been waiting for Shawn to chime in -- he was the source of most of my info, as I knew he had headed up the site inspection meet and greet team. I still think it's a bad idea to hold a convention in a place that doesn't have a good (and immediately adjacent) convention hotel, but getting on and off a shuttle bus isn't the worst thing in the world.

8. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    hmmmm....

*does some quick math*

The wife and I are in Austin TX....It's a staright shoot across I-10, 1390 miles.....I get fairly close to 300 miles per tank...20 hour road trip....

wow. It's actually cheaper if we drive than if we fly out. A lot cheaper; about $200 for gas round-trip compared to $600 by plane for the two of us.

This bears consideration...

9. LeiaSkywalker4

LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    What celebrities in Star Wars are on the "A-list" and live in LA? I know the behind the scenes people live in California, but some of them made it to Celebration II and III. I guess I need someone to tell me who from Star Wars lives in LA and is on the "A-list." Because we all know that Uncle George isn't on the "A-list" if you follow his career. Uncle George is in a class all by himself and I wouldn't want it any other way.:D

10. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Just spoke with the LA convention center and they told me may 23rd - may 29th. That must be the dates LFL has the convention for, not the open to the public dates.

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    The St. Louis weather around the time of the C cons rivals Indy- The
    April mean is 56*, but temps dip as low as 20* or go as high as 93* -
    pretty awesome range! Tornadoes, hail, sleet, rain, and winds up to 80
    MPH winds are all common during April. The locals I know there say "If
    you're tired of the weather, wait a day". But they say that about
    Hawaii, too.

QFT The weather here is awful, trust me. It can change from 80 to 30 in a single day and often does.

To be fair, the St. Louis con center is very nice, and at 500,000 square
    feet of meeting and exhibit space, pretty large. But it's only 50,000
    square feet larger than Indy (448,000 sq ft). We'd be relying on the
    layout to alleviate congestion, not space.

Let's not forget it's in the worst part of town as well. I would not want people lining up outside that in the middle of the night like they did at C3. And the layout rather sucks IMO, it's twisty and confusing.

12. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Sebulba-X, as always, you rule. Thanks for sharing.

I think most on this board will find a way to go whenever and wherever it is. I like LA. Time to switch it up a bit.

I hope it's warm so we don't get sick.

13. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    The idea that because C4 would be in LA, that C5 and C6 would also be held there is rather distressing as that would mean of the first 6 (prospective) Celebrations that I would only be able to have attended one.

14. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    The hotels don't look very convient located in LA, I'm only saying this because I'm in a wheel chair right now, I hope to be up an my feet again by August, but if not, Indy had those Skywalks connecting hotels to event.

Can anyone say which hotel has easiest access to convention center for the wheelchair restricted attendies.

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I hope this doesn't come out as facetious as it sounds in my head, but welcome to what us non-US fans have to live with. I've missed the last 2 because of monetary issues (C2 because I couldn't save enough while still at uni, C3 because buying a house came first). I will be going to a C4, but unless fate is kind I doubt I'll be able to attend more than that.

16. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    This is most interesting information.

I don't care much where it is as long as I can go. even if it's in Sri Lanka.

L.A. sounds like a great place anyway, and I have to agree the CC and the general tourism attractions are great.

Oh boy is this ever going to cost me.

anyway, logistically speaking, I'm just very happy it will be taking place in a very very big CC.

I'll keep my eye and ears open for any information.

17. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    Not one of these sources has been an official representative of Gencon or Lucasfilm. I wouldn't believe a word they say till they release the information on starwars.com or gencon.com

18. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Doesn't anyone think this topic is a little premature? There has been no official announcement, and all the info people have garnered to seem to contradict one another. I personally don't care if it is on one of the coasts, but I would prefer not the west coast. As it was shown in another thread there are several other cities that are viable options for this event. CIV may not need a space that is 1 million+ sq feet, but I think it would be nice to have a little elbow room. I will go no matter where is (provided it is in North America). But that doesn't me I will like it. ;) I don't know, all this speculation of LA seems like a "Blue Harvest" stunt to me.

19. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Warriotpoet, the closest hotel is the Holiday Inn City Center. The Travelocity website says the hotel is wheelchair-accessible, the Holiday Inn website isn't confirming that. It'll require additional checking.

20. Lily_Skywalker

Lily_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    I really hope it is because that is way after graduation which means I can go. Cause if it is any earlier It's not possible for me to go

21. LadyLessa

LadyLessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    Well, if the rumors are true and it is in LA I know this family won't be able to go. We were all looking forward to it, but oh well. I made it to C2 & C3 and loved every minute of both of them. The weather at C2 was sunny and warm. And for me to get to C2 I left my home in Ohio, drove 4 hrs to pick up my son in southeastern Ky and then drove 6 hrs more to get to Indy. So if it was only me, I would definitely go to LA.

22. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    This better not be true. Why would they move to a less central, smaller Convention Center??

!snap

23. GeovannyDackers

GeovannyDackers Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2006
    Hi, I'm new here .I'm from Europe(Holland)

I went to the C3 last year and enjoyed every second of the Event, everything was Huge and I was surpriced about the amount of people wearing costumes.

I was one of the few DeathStar gunners roaming the place there.

So I will almost certainly be going next year, does anybody know a good Hotel (for some friends of mine)near the Event by chance(which ever place the event is going to be)

24. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    welcome aboard dackers!!

25. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    As far as hotels, I'd seriously suggest waiting to see which hotels are the official convention hotels.

They will have a special rate for the con, and as noted regarding transportation, they will be shuttle bus destinations.

It certainly doesn't hurt to look and see whats around though. Give you a better idea of which hotel to select when the list becomes available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.