main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****Official Choreography Contest Voting****

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Dec 8, 2002.

?

****Official Choreography Contest Voting****

Poll closed Dec 13, 2002.
  1. Clip 1

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Clip 2

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Clip 3

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Clip 4

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  5. Clip 5

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Clip 6

61 vote(s)
    54.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Is there a higher res version of clip 3 available?

2. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hey, you picked up on that ;)

And sure you are bickering, you are bickering about bickering... wait that means I am bickering about you bickering about bickering, no... wait... it has to be your bull... *Whispering Death's Head Exploads*

Oh and how is that choreography tutorail going scud? (last ditch attempt to throw this thread somewhat on topic)

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL

A friend's mom just watched my and Ryan's clip, and she's always the source of inadvertent hilarity. So this time while watching, she gets to the part where I kick Ryan in the kidney (the first kick) and goes "Hey! Is he allowed to put his foot there?"

Maybe you had to be there. Just thought I'd share.

M. Scott

4. Darth_Koga

Darth_Koga Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2002
    moffjake, as for the lightsaber twirling around the back/neck,etc. not being practical, well think about it. Its an excellent move to confuse your opponent. You dont know which hand its going to end up in or if hes going to attack or wait to block. Heck even Darth Maul used some moves in the same way. (him also being a WuShu master also explains why his moves are the same as some in AOTS) also a distraction tactic.

(and i hope no one says the martial arts was not 'starwarsy' cus thats rediculous) lol

5. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Also, in many of the traditional forms of martial art (Shaolin Kung-Fu being the one that comes to mind first) different stances and movements mean different things. Not only do these body movements look good but they are a language and are a form of expression.

Now whether Ryan and Mike made up a new language with their lightsabers or not... ;)

6. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Ack, I've tried downloading AOTS 3 times from like every possible link given so far and it always manages to get half way through the download, then just finish!

But when you go to play it, it just gives me an error message!?! Whats up with that!?

I've tried downloading it as a regular clip and as a zipped clip, both have the same problem!

7. GSW-Startide

GSW-Startide Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2002
    Just_Joe -> I just tried from my own web server and it works fine (took me 3:18 to DL it :D ), so try out here : http://www.generations-starwars.com/saber_contest.php

For people having been trying on my FTP, plz accept my apologize, this is DAMN slow... you where quite many connected so that ***** up the whole bandwith... can't do much for you anyway, just make sure you use a client ftp that can resume download, and be patient...

I just watched again clip 3, and actually that's not that bad, appart from quality that ruins their work I guess the only big problem is the way they move (I mean, there feet)... combined with low quality and low frame rate, that makes them moving a really stupid way which makes people thinking the video is really bad...

edit: mind your language

8. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    ARGH, it completed at the halfway point of the download again!

When I try and open it it says Couldnt open the file "choreographyAOTS.mov" because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

I have Quicktime 5! Does that matter?

9. GSW-Startide

Dec 11, 2002
    I have to admit I have no idea... I perfectly works on my web server (here, at list I can make those markups working :D) and of course also on the FTP, even if that's slow download... tryc to upgrade to version 6 of quicktime... that will still suck (dont like quicktime) but at least you are sure it will work.

10. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    All the links to my server should work fine too, you appear to be the only one having the trouble.

BTW, to all those who downloaded from my links how was the speed? Fast? Slow?

11. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
  12. GSW-Startide

Dec 11, 2002
    Well I just want to mention that FTP is online, it will work only for 23 hours from now (at best) cause I am going back to france for Xmas... last minute download guys !!!

Anyway, files will still be available via the url I posted ;)

Have nice Xmas guys !!!

13. nivlak

nivlak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2002
    Many of you saw our clip AOTS for the choreography submission. Well our short movie should be hosted on TFN shortly. Its about 6 minutes long. Please check it out and let us know what you think. You can see how the fight ends. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks and have a happy holiday!!!!

14. GSW-Startide

Dec 11, 2002
    Wahow !! 6 minutes ? I do not have that one, or are you talking about art of saber first edition which is available on the theatre already ?

15. Darth_Knight

Darth_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    Comyn, any more word on the judging? any better idea when we'll hear their final vote?

16. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, what say the judges?

I'm interested in hearing their "professional opinions". :D

M. Scott

17. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Are we ever going to see the judge's opinions?

18. Darth_Knight

Sep 17, 2002
    Hey, it's been something like 3 weeks since the polls ended, and we STILL haven't heard the judges Final vote! what gives? will we ever hear who won? I don't know about the other contestants, but for me, the judges vote is the "real" one. I entered this competition to see what "profesionals" thought of our fight, and so far all we know is that 2 of them have reported in. no word on what those votes are, much less any word from the other judges. Comyn, could you PLEASE get things moving along?! I think we ALL realy want to know how this all ends.

19. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, there were five judges.

I'm sure Lord_Rive has had the opportunity to check things out, as, most likely, has scudknight.

I'm not entirely sure but I think Abe from DLR has been on vacation and unreachable for the past few weeks, and hasn't seen the clips yet; I haven't seen Nick Hallam around since the last BA doco was released, and Plurimus (Nick Jamilla) seems to be an on and off lurker (last post was on the 26th of Dec.; last post on THIS board was the 18th).

We'll be hearing from them soon enough, I have faith.

M. Scott

20. Inkthinker

Inkthinker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow... so much talent. I have nothing to add that hasn't been already said twice. I liked clip 6 best, clip 4 second-best (liked it even more as a finished fight in the film). The time thing is an issue, but honestly the fight was just better filmed and fought than the others, regardless of length. I think that's what's important.

I might add that camera work IS an essential aspect of film fight choreography (I work for a commercial animation and film studio). How you shoot the fight can be just as important (if not more important) than how you stage it.

I can't wait to see more from all of these contributors... each of you should be rightly proud of what you accomplished.

21. Darth_Knight

Sep 17, 2002
    Is comyn even watching this thread any more? I know he's busy with school and stuff, but I'd REALY like to know what the status is with the judges!

22. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Hey guys, I sent my vote in about 5 days after the polls closed. From what I can gather talking to a couple of the other judges, many of them couldn't download the files. Their schedules too seemed to be a big impediment.

Yeah, I've been a bit of a lurker. I've been on vacation and it's nice not to spend all of it in front of a keyboard.

BTW, I got banned for SPAMming because I cut and paste info about a January 24 film shoot cast call for extras in the DC area. I was originally banned for 24 hours but was kept off because the person in charge went on vacation and forgot to unban me.

23. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    To make it easier so y'all don't gotta dig...

The links on THIS PAGE are, to my knowledge, still functional.

M. Scott

24. GSW-Startide

Dec 11, 2002
    DorkmanScott -> Glad you say that ;) :D FTP shall not work before 10th january in the evening (my evening, gmt+1 :D).

Anyway direct download should be ok ;)

25. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    uppers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.