main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

****Official Choreography Contest Voting****

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Dec 8, 2002.

?

****Official Choreography Contest Voting****

Poll closed Dec 13, 2002.
  1. Clip 1

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Clip 2

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Clip 3

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Clip 4

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  5. Clip 5

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Clip 6

61 vote(s)
    54.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Knight

Darth_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    has ANYone heard ANYthing from ANYone? (inparticular from comyn)

2. pulut2000

pulut2000 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2002
    yo Dorkman n Ryan..dude, ur clip rox..btw, i'm Pulut2000 from Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, Malaysia...currently undergoing B.SC Film & Animation...

wanna contact u guys..wanna to get know y'all...peace,dude

3. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Being the geek I am, I looked at Ryan and Dorkman's movie in reverse... but my computer wouldn't keep up so it was going about half speed.

So when Ryan tosses his saber into the air and falls down, I decide to see it again. I go forward a few seconds. Hmm... apparantly, in this section (when he ignites it after catching it) the glow spills into the frame when the blade isn't there. Doesn't work that way in any other section...

Probably a rotoscoping trick. I can forgive that.

I go forward another few frames. Hmm... the first time Ryan spins his saber, it seems that the blade is coming out of an area two inches to the left of the HILT of his lightsaber!!!

Shameless trick! Shameless!

Bad Ryan, naughty Ryan!

I continue on a little further forward. When Dorkman does his final swing, you can see the yellow area of his unrotoed blade. in a very different place compared to the rotoed blade.

Shame shame, Ryan! Shame, shame!

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Hey, nice catch on the "2 inch over" thing. I didn't even notice that was in frame when I was exporting the shot. I'll crop that for the final version with the second half.

But uh, what are you talking about for the glow spill in the part before it? (So when Ryan tosses his saber into the air and falls down, I decide to see it again. I go forward a few seconds. Hmm... apparantly, in this section (when he ignites it after catching it) the glow spills into the frame when the blade isn't there. Doesn't work that way in any other section... )?
    I don't know what you're referring to... Nothing was done differently in this shot (as compared to every other) in terms of effects.

As for seeing Dorkman's blade, you must just be seeing the aura come to an end. Because the blades were moving so fast you could hardly see them at all without the saber glow covering it, I specifically rotoed making them fan a little wider than they should just to make sure I covered it all. And by the way, our rods were flourescent orange, not yellow. ;)

5. GSW-Startide

GSW-Startide Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2002
    Well I am still waiting for part 2 ryan ;) I look forward seing (and hosting if you want) it !!!

BTW did someone set up another mirror to the files, cause I am starting to be low on web space so if someone wouldn't mind hosting the videos, cause I will have shortly to erase them.

Also were contest final results given ?

6. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Yah .... I WON. :D

7. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    No you didn't! I won!

~Neszis~

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Man, I knew I should've said something about the two-inch-over thing when I caught it. LOL

But I didn't figure anyone would catch it (I usually know better around here).

Part 2 is on the way, peeps. We're going to submit it to TFN, and if not, Ryan's probably got webspace enough for it. But I'll let him speak for that when the time comes.

M. Scott

9. Krapitino

Jun 11, 2002
    What I meant with the spill glow is this:

When the saber moves around in an arc, you can see the glow before you see the blade. In no other shots is that done. In fact, if you roto the blade only, that NEVER happens.

Kinda like the same thing that happened in AOTC as Dooku raised his saber for a final strike on Obi-Wan. The glow popped out behind his head, but the blade was clearly covered by the same.

Like [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Characters/Count_Dooku/aotc-countdooku.jpg] this image, except in your clip. I'm too lazy to take a screenshot.

10. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Well, if you look closer you'd probably find a lot of examples of that sort of thing thruought our sequence. It's certainly not "in no other shots" (take a close look at my first lightsaber ignition for crying out loud)

The reason for this is that the project was filmed entirely in 3:4, with an eye for a final 16:9 composition, allowing more flexibility in terms of cropping and what not. Thusly, the sabers (all effects, in essence) were done to the video full frame, with the final step in the process being the cropping down to 16:9. This means that above and below frames the saber does exist and is emitting glow, though the actual saber is being cropped off. Why you see this as alarmingly weird I'm not quite sure. I actually like it. I think it makes it feel like the effect really is not just right there on the visible screen but goes on beyond the camera's field of view which lends itself to a more realistic feeling in my eyes. Note I'm not talking about when it goes behind people or things (like that behind Dooku hting you mentioned (I hate that too)), I'm just talking about off screen.

11. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    come to think of it, i remember seeing that happen in Rough Day.

je-SUS Ryan, you're really dropping the ball a lot, i think we all expect a bit more from you. ;)

12. Krapitino

Jun 11, 2002
    Ah. Ok. No problems. Sorry about coming off as-- well, as a Trekkie.

Except for that blade from the area next to the bottom of the hilt thing :grin:

13. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    To be technical, in Rough Day it was probably glow spilling in from other frames on the filmstrip file (which is a lot worse) but not exactly what we're talking about here.

And don't you worry about the 2-inch-over thing, Krapitiono. I'll be sure to take care of that all Lucas style and have it fixed for the next version. :D

14. Darth_Knight

Darth_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    Well, I guess if we haven't heard anything by now from the judges, we probobly never will. :(
    Comyn, if you still even bother to read this board, you said you had the decisions from 2 of the judges. could you at least post those for curiosity's sake?

15. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    is it just me or can anyone else not download these clips?

16. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL!

M. Scott

17. QbnJedi

QbnJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    OMG...LOLOLOL.

18. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    They mean by this that this is old now, and the files have most likely been taken down from their servers. :)

You missed some great entries, but two of them are still available :

One of them can be found at TFN : Art of the Saber 2
    The other once, Ryan Vs. Dorkman, can be donwloaded from here.

For this competition only the first two minutes of those clips were used.

I'm afraid the rest is down and will never be uploaded again unless someone is willing to give bandwith. But that's probably not gonna happen since this contest is over. :)

19. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    i couldn't dl those when this poll first went up...

but thanks for the links!!

20. GSW-Startide

GSW-Startide Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2002
    Oky guys, if someone is still looking for the files I have to say that I had to delete them from my server, due to lack of download, as well as lack of space...

Anyway I am sharing the files on emule / edonkey, so if you need them feel free to ask I will post the links (for sure that will be quite long to get them, anyway you will get them at least :D).

BTW : I am looking for Ryan's website, I could not find it yet... I want to make sure I see when R vs D part 2 is released ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.