main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. flashbang

flashbang Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm just wondering because I always got the impression that because Lucas is involved in the three projects, it makes it canon on the lines of the six films since it's his vision and he is afterall the creator of the saga, wheras all the other EU material wasn't done by him so it doesn't represent his true vision.

We've been getting a number of threads on continuity lately, so let's make this one the official one and try to keep continuity discussion here.

EDIT 2- Updating title to better state the catch-all for canon discussion

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    It's still EU. Although I think that it has been said - half-joking - by LFL representative that the Live TV series will be given a more special standing, somewhere between most of the EU and the movies.

3. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I'm going to say it's not EU just for the fact GL and the gang have most if not all the input in the series'. That's my 2 cents, but this EU/Canon stuff has been known to start wars.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    To me, it's all the EU. I'm one of those who feel the films are canon and everything else is the EU. Plain and simple.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's EU. It just has a higher level of canon than the rest of the EU.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    LFL, thus far, has classified all television content (even material written by Lucas, like the Ewok movies) as EU, however they may be ranking the newer shows higher than the other EU content for internal company reference purposes (though this isn't for certain- they may simply be tracking content specifically contained within each series for production purposes).

It should also be noted that Lucas has provided input and story content for other EU material over the decades, but such material is still considered EU, so Lucas's involvement isn't the sole deciding factor so far as EU classification goes.

7. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Lucas has always considered EU and movies like two separate things, if he decide to write-or at least supervize all writers on the first season, the LAS will probably contradict with existing EU material on some minor details.

8. Berkyjay

Berkyjay Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007

Actually, both the TV series will be considered T-canon and they will be on the same level as the movies due to the fact that George is writing all of the stories (The hired writers write the scripts from George's stories).

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Wasn't T-Canon below G but above C?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last I checked, T-canon has not been assigned any ranking yet, in relation to other works. It will most likely end up existing between G-canon (the films) and C-canon (all other in-continuity sources), but it won't be equal to G-canon (otherwise they'd just expand the definition of G-canon to include the new shows instead of creating a new classification for them) and hasn't yet been defined as out-ranking C-canon.

We do know that T-canon is not a retroactive classification, so pre-existing TV content, even stuff written by Lucas himself, is still considered C-canon (the same generally goes for any non-film story input or direction Lucas has provided to non-TV sources as well).

And, as I mentioned earlier, since this whole "G-C-T-S-N canon" thing is mostly for internal reference at LFL (as opposed to public policy), T-canon could merely end up being a classification meant to easily track content created for, or appearing in, the new shows themselves for easy series-bible reference for production purposes, which would leave T-canon equal to C-canon.

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I regard to coming TV projects as an interesting miz of Canon and EU. Yes, Lucas is heavily involved, more so than on compleet EU works, but the makers of the TV shows do have licence to develop storylines and characters in ways that they want so. So, to me its a mix of both creative elements.

12. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    What's the difference anyway? At this point, there aren't going to be any more movies, so I can't see anything being more canon from here on out than these TV Shows. It sounds like this is where GL wants to take the franchise anyway for the near future. To me, the TV shows will be just one step away from the movies...and that's probably a good thing anyway.

As for Unleashed...that's tougher to say. GL wanted a video game friendly world and that's what Unleashed is. Guess we'll have to get details of the story before knowing more.

I'm just glad we have so much going on to continue the saga.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm going to sit on the fence on this one, for the simple reason that the three projects stem from GL and company and not some other random author, writer, illustrator, and what not. Furthermore, like Shadow of the Empire , these three have the potential to be rated very high in the EU area if it can be classifed as EU.

For me EU, represents anything that GL does not do, that is before TPM and after ROTJ. One thing that we haven't seen is that GL hasn't really authorized/produced/or directed anything that is not withingn the 6 movie series.

Yes, GL has given input on numerosu projects, but not on the same level that the video game, new clone wars series, and the live action seires will take place in. One thing of note also, is that with the exception of the video games, GL and and company have really never authorized the production of any animated or live action show that is not in-between the movies. Just look at the Star Wars Holiday TV Special, The Ewoks and Droids cartoonse series, the 2-d Clone Wars cartoon shorts, and the new clone wars cartoon series (3-d) and the new live action? See a pattern?

The live action series is really EU in a sense that this has been waht every other licensee has been doing. The difference is going to be that GL is involved and it will be interesting to see what they decide the course of action is going to be and if they are going to say...This is how it happened after Episode 3 before Episode 4. Much like the Force Unleashed video game which will set the path as to what occurred after 7 years of the Empire being instituted. This means, that any new stories must fit with the above listed and cannot contradict what GL and company have put out.

The new clone wars series will be real good, and will surpass the original clone series of shorts due to the level of storytelling that will be told plus the way they could tie it in with the movies. Due I think that it will conflict with what Dark Horse has done...probably not, but you can kiss the video game, animation, and possible short stories as bye bye. I do feel that the new series will tie real well with the novels, and we may get a new loo towards the begining Battle of Corsucant. Now that is worth watcihing alone.

The true EU for me represents, the novels, comic books, video games, roleplaying games, short stories, and the toys, since they have over the yeasr been the ones to over all eras. The others, well, maybe EU, but not on the same level.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    They're EU, in that they're not the movies, but this has no bearing on their canon standing: for our purposes, everything-- including the films-- are the same "level" of canon.

15. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Just saw this quote on the USA Today CW article and thought it was relevant to this discussion:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-02-11-clone-wars-side_N.htm

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I think GL's involvement with TFU is comparable to his level of input on the Jedi Academy trilogy/Tales of the Jedi mythos, as well as the Starfighter game (in that he provided backstory and provided notes & questions to the developers/creators). Let's also not forget he actually wrote the Ewok movies too, which would be beyond his level of involvement in Clone Wars 3D and at least somewhat comparable to the LA series. The early Marvel comics arcs would seem to echo the Clone Wars 3D process to a degree as well.

Technically, Ewoks and Droids are set before the original movies, produced at a time when such context was "outside the films".

17. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Exactly. I think it all just depends on what you want it to be. Yes, by its canonical definition it is a form of EU - but Lucas' involvement can't be ignored. Lucas decides what stays and what goes, I'm sure. And the amount that Lucas has been talking about it (Clone Wars, not TFU) seems to indicate it will have a special place, even if he isn't the sole creative aspect of it. So no, I'm not going to consider it taking place in the "alternate universe" Lucas talks about, even if it fits in with the definition of EU. If there are people who consider Palpatine being cloned after ROTJ canon, then, pshh, I'll consider this canon.

18. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    I'd say no. It's orchestrated by the flanneled one...it's his baby.

19. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Well none of it is real. It's all fiction.

To me, it's up to each person if they want to consider each part of the Star Wars Story.

20. Blackfryar

Blackfryar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    it's no fiction, it happened "a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"

21. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Haha, agreed. Anything that GL has to do with is not EU.

22. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    The CW updated article on the main page mentioned that the The CW and the live action will are considered cannon (as in non-EU I assume). Though I'm not sure who was quoted.

23. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    never mind about whether its canon or not...

where can I find the new preview clip ?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, technically, everything is canon- it's more a matter of what the relationship of T-canon is with G-canon and C-canon, and if Lucasfilm will be redefining what is currently considered EU to exclude the new TV shows.

25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    QFT.

I also wanted to note the TFU was mentioned in the initial post. George's direct involvement with that project has not been shown to be any more substantial then some other Star Wars games that are considered "canon".

There is a terminology breakdown between the public and the fanbase, it would appear. The public sees much as "canon", where it appears some fans see "canon" meaning just G-canon.

When the word "canon" appears in the press, disregard it...most of the time, if it isn't obvious they have no clue what they are talking about...it's someone at LFL dumbing it down for the average Joe.

"canon" according to the shop, is as inclusive of material as possible...of course all this stuff will be included.

As such...I pray every night that Lucas himself is taking advantage of the Holocron, the Wook, and the fans before writing something that might stop the hearts of a percentage of us here and there. He can do it...he has the technology...and if I hear one more word about "vision" overriding consideration, I will hurl.