main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I don't think they should rely on the EU to do their writing for them, but I love it when they make references to the EU or use something from the EU as part of a story. We never see holocrons or even hear them mentioned at all in any of the films, and when I saw there was an episode called "Holocron Heist" I freaked out! Just seeing Anakin and Obi-Wan talking about holocrons was great, the plot around the stealing of the holocron was great, and in my opinion that 3-episode arc constitutes perhaps the best episodes of the series so far. There's a good middle-ground there that I think is ideal.

(Not that I wouldn't love another Quinlan Vos episode. [face_dancing] )

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Agreed, it would be better if they only referenced EU stuff. Changing things people are familiar with is always going to make people unhappy.

Then again, I can see how there would be exceptions to this where the EU has taken ideas that originated with Lucas, and expanded upon it in ways he hadn't envisioned.

It's not all that easy.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    i haven't seen any ithorianproblem since.... Duchess of Mandalore.... that episode had lots of those but weequays stole the Ventress backstory completely:p

plenty of holocronmodels were made during AOTC filming and they were added to the visual dictionary- which is techically EU but released with plenty of movieshots and photos so in that sense holocrons have been accepted to higher canon long before this.....even though they originally debuted in Dark Empire

4. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I know they were already canon, just saying we never hear them discussed or see them in the films so I loved to hear them discussed and see them on the show. If they never did anything EU related, which someone seemed to suggest which is what I was reacting to, that never could've happened.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I did not know that. Interesting.

6. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Me neither, I wonder if/how they were originally planning to use them in the film. [face_thinking]

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm guessing it would be in the Jedi Archives sequence.

8. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    That would've been AWESOME. =P~

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Or maybe even something to do with Syfo-Dias...

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm not so sure those were movie props. I've always been under the impression that the AotC Visual Dictionary holocrons were created specifically for the book, since the acknowledgments thank "ILM master modelmakers Don Bies and John Goodson, for the precision-crafted Holocrons and the clone trooper rifle cutaway." Thanking them so specifically implies that they created the holocrons just for the book. Though the modelmakers also worked on the film, and the models were made at the same time as the film...

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    yes but still- i said they were made during the filming[face_whistling] didn't they would be propso_O

12. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    the more i hear about season 3 - its not out here @(UK) yet except on sky movies the more i struggle to like it
    ive been rewatching old epsiodes like rookies and love them but all this ...well...crap with maul being alive and just screwing over established contunity like RC and mainly pretty much all that dark horse crafted im reaching the end.

ive said it before and ill say it again i edit the eu when something too riduclous is written and the way its going most of CW is down the toilet.

is it dave thingy? is he a huge a-hole or does he think its better to start fresh? i dont know but it seems to be that he represents some of the best and worst star wars since jar jar

13. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Whoa, no discussion about Evan Piel's death here? Well let's start it, because it's flooding the episode thread.

Personally, what makes it annoying to me is that they knew of his original death, and that his original death mattered (as he was the master of the main character of a series), and that it's not an old or obscure series at all. Coruscant Nights is relatively popular for EU. And i know a lot of people will say, well, it's two separate universes, Lucas says so. But the problem is the EU 'verse includes TCW. They have to make it work. So the author of that series now has to find some convoluted way to make it work.

It's not that the EU needs to be constantly referenced, or that TCW shouldn't be given freedom. It's just that i wish Lucas would respect the EU. They knew this death made no sense in that universe, and they did it anyway. It's like they're trying to send some odd message that the EU is just published fanfiction now or something. And it's not. It's part of a Star Wars universe, and it's not as important as the movies but it's important to a lot of people. Everyone picks and chooses, but i wish it wasn't so hard to get to choose it all.

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I totally agree. It would be one thing if they honestly didn't know Even died, but knowing that and still rewriting his death was just uncalled for. And publically announcing that they completely ignored the EU was the icing on the cake.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Lucas's "respect" for the EU seems to be a love/hate relationship. I mean, they used an EU species, ordered by an even more obscure EU species, to trample continuity. How wacked is that?

EDIT: I'm putting the black highlight on all spoilers for the time being since the episode was only aired recently.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Anooba is not EU-species after all it is unused design for TPM- so it's not EU.....

17. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    However, I just read on Piell's wook page that the "canonity of Coruscant Nights was yet to be established". Doesn't that mean it never was really canon, so that way it can be simply deserted? Or is that too simple?

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was as canon as any other EU book.

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The Wook page is misleading---only the parts that contain Even Piell are in doubt. Leland has said that the rest of Coruscant Nights is still in continuity:

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, interesting. I'm not sure how well known that fact was before the episode guide brought it up. There seem to have been quite a number of creatures designed for TPM that never made it to the final production stage.

21. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I think back to the time when the Clone Wars was first coming out and I remember Dave said they are going to work very closely to the EU in order not to damage anything too badly. If they were going to this why did he not come out right away and said this was going to be different then the EU. They strung EU fans along thinking the show could work with the EU which has ended up them taking what they like from the EU and rewriting however they saw fit. I would be a lot happier right now if they would have said it was going to be a separate universe but they didn't.

Continuity is what made Star Wars different then Marvel and DC. Now it is just in the same boat.

22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I haven't read the Coruscant Nights books... but I read that a fourth and final book is being written. Once again I say I know nothing of Jax Pavan or anything, but Piell's appearance in the first book could potentially be canonical with some creativity... give Jax Pavan some type of psychological disorder where he believed it was Piell, or was in complete denial after Piell's death on Lola Sayu that he crafted this whole fantasy about what happened... I don't know. But the EU will NOT be invalid when the Clone Wars is over with, I think it will be enrichened and given more depth once authors know how to fit George's continuity into the EU's.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think the best answer is Even Piell.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    agreed new generation of EU will be only better and it can retcon away some problems between old and new continuity

25. LONEWOLF09

LONEWOLF09 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    The authors shouldn't have to fit the EU with GL's continuity in the first place. You obviously haven't read the Republic comics and novels if you think that the EU will only be better by retconning problems that never existed before until the TCW show came out.