main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I've read and i didn't like all of them actually- there were few good ones though but i'm not huge fan of comics really- i've also read some novels- James Luceno is good and Timothy Zahn- but i cannot stand Barbara Hambly for example..... just bad books IMO.... SW-feel is missing.... but future EU won't have problems and if stories are good then it's even better that's what i'm saying- GL shouldn't have to fit his stories to EU-continuity any more- damn it's his universe originally- now you say he should let others to decide about it.....

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think there is a word for that..."Idea Mining"...or "cafeteria continuity"...something.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That doesn't work because the Even Piell portion of the book is largely from Piell's POV and Pavan is nowhere around.

4. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    the main problem of course is its late most of the clashes will be explained away but the bad tatse in ur mouth will remain...

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thoughts?

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    So we've got less than 9 months 'til all hell breaks loose? Jesus ******* Christ dude. The next two Seasons had better be full of flashbacks and prequels, or else I fail to see how it will all fit together in time.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Irrelevant little fact that will probably be rewritten to be impossible later on or then they just made clone wars much shorter than we thought and future seasons will be focusing more on Ahsoka and her life during and after ROTS.... but that takes TCW to the dark times.....

8. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I pulled this thread from the index, because I thought it appropiate to debate TCW canon status rather than continuing the debate in the Darth Maul threads.

I think TCW is entertaining and overall, I'm glad it's around. I love seeing SW stories and enjoy seeing a heroic and likable Anakin (something that is mostly missing in the prequels).

That being said, from the beginning, I was expecting that TCW would be consisent with the SW films. IMO, that's THE STORY.

I didn't understand the Ashoka move initially. Anakin and nobody never mentioned an apprentince in ROTS. While Asohka's fate hasn't been revealed yet, I'm not sure how the writers will be able to complete her story and have closure for Anakin. I kind of gave the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Where it really got childish IMO, is the episode where Anakin, Obi-Wan and Dooku was captured. I love Dooku's character - but he's a Sith. You can't show them working together - that subplot is ridiculous. Anakin shouldn't be dueling Dooku either: "My powers have doubled since the last time we met..." only works well if they haven't seen each other between AOTC and ROTS.

I haven't seen S3 yet. But it sounds like there are witches, Ventress and then this Father/Son story - It's too many people using the dark side of the force. In the movies, there are two Sith Lords and one who is tempted (Anakin and Luke). That's the great part about the Sith. In the TCW, it seems like there are 10 Sith. I think it would be have great to see the tempted (Ventress and others) killed quickly by Sidious and Tyranus. The Sith wouldn't allow competitors.

That leads us to return of Darth Maul. This is a canon dagger. Having him return spoils Qui-Gon's heroic death and Obi-Wan's victory. It also adds yet another dark side user.

TCW is not canon. It's a fun side story and now I don't care where it goes.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Sadly TCW is canon and it trumps c-canon, which includes all the novels, comic books, video games, ect. On the canon scale, TCW is T, which is below G-canon, the highest point.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Good call bumping this thread, especially with Maul just around the riverbend. I didn't even know this thread existed.

Thumbs up, JediLight.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I seriously think one of us needs to raise this issue with Midnight Cowboy at next year's SW Weekends, Celebration VI or SDCC.

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    A lot of this issues aren't even continuity issues within the movies, you can definitely make a case for Maul(and I would agree.....). But Anakin having a padawan, and him facing Dooku many times etc. has never contradict the films, there is nothing in the movies that suggest that this couldn't have happen. The problem is people took their assumptions and passed it is fact.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    They don't explicitly contradict the movies but they make some scenes make less sense. It's an implicit effect. To use your example, of course nothing in ROTS says Anakin can't have had a Padawan, but the fact that he seems to have forgotten all about her by the time of the movie seems odd now when we see how much the pair have been through during the course of the war.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, but that isn't a continuity issue since it isn't breaking anything established as fact in the movie, which the OP IMO seemed to be suggesting.

And who says Anakin has forgotten, he may not mention her.....but perhaps that is do to how their relationship ends up in the end and the show will explore it.

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Again, I'd argue that it doesn't necessarily have to explicitly clash with the movies to be a continuity issue. Given how much Ahsoka and Anakin have worked together during the war, it seems weird to go from that to her being completely absent. You can try and rationalise that away by arguing the Saga is Anakin's story while TCW is broader in its approach, but I think it's bigger than that. Unless something big happens that closes off all doubt by the end of this show, then Ahsoka's complete lack of even acknowledgement by Anakin throughout ROTS seems to conflict with what we've been presented with throughout the course of TCW.

SlashMan likes this.
  16. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think that canon scale is worthless. It's all fiction - I think it's up to the viewer to decide what's canon and what doesn't belong in the SW story. What do you, the SW fan, consider part of the SW story?

I'm sure there are some that consider PT not part of their own canon. Now that's heresy :)

If I had to category my canon percentages, this is where I stand:

100% canon: I-VI
    75% canon: I-VI novels (stretches SW movies just a bit in some places)
    50% canon: KOTR, GT CW, Darth Bane novels, Shadows of the Empire (all of these stretch the Force/or the stories past it's movies boundries)
    25% canon: TCW (Too many dark side users, return of Maul, Ashoka, etc)
    0% canon: all post ROTJ novels and video games (No secret apprentince for Vader, no Emperor cloning, Luke doesn't marry, Chewbacca isn't dead!)

I would love to hear others POV's...

SlashMan likes this.
  17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't care for canon or its levels.

At moments when this show affects the movies, I'm not happy about it, but I'll ignore it. It does lessen my appreciation of this series, but will never affect how I feel about the saga. It is consistent enough within itself.

There's some things I love about the EU and lots of things I absolutely hate (including Timothy Zahn novels), so I've learned to be selective.

I absolutely love, love, love the story of the Jedi Knight / Dark Forces series. Does this mean I feel like it should all be on the same level of canon as the movies? Of course not. They are even contradicting them. Fact is I do not care. I enjoy it anyway.

You know, it's all a fictional universe anyway.