main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Agreed. To me there's the stuff George is involved in and the stuff that George isn't involved in. I couldn't care less about the stuff he doesn't do.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This incorrect- there are several projects Lucas has worked on or contributed to that remain C-canon (ie: Ewok movies, The Force Unleashed, Starfighter & Labyrinth of Evil and, to a lesser extent, the Marvel comics (S-canon in some cases), Dark Empire, Thrawn Trilogy and Jedi Academy Trilogy/Tales of the Jedi).

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I was going to bring up TFU...but you beat me to it. :(

But that's all I was going to bring up...I couldn't think of any others. :p

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To give folks as idea of what the current continuity situation is:

The main issue that's in the air right now is Anakin being knighted early in the war (during it's first year) instead of late in the war (during it's last), but obviously that small detail has large implications. As a result, according to Leeland, there will likely be some time compression of existing events to compensate- ie: stories featuring Anakin as a Padawan will be condensed to take place earlier, prior to Clone Wars 3D, and stories with Anakin as a Knight will either stay put or be shifted earlier to take place during the events of CW3D.

However, specifics will not be made until the series concludes (since the show will apparently be using or referencing characters and events from the EU on occasion, they want to avoid any double-contradictions).

The good news is this doesn't affect all that many stories; major sources needing only a slight relocation of 1-3 months would only include The Hero of Cartao, The Cestus Deception. 3 months+ includes Last Stand on Jabiim, Republic #59-62, more than that includes Republic #67-68, Jedi Trial & Changing Seasons and some of the Jedi Quest young adult books. So, probably not even 5% of events are being shifted. Everything's still part of continuity, so no need to worry about all those great stories becoming invalid.

6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    That's why you're the man and I'm the law-talking guy. =D=

7. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Actually, Jedi Quest wraps up before AOTC, so it's just Secrets of the Jedi and Legacy of the Jedi in Jude Watson land that are the issue. And the Clone Wars novel references Secrets of the Jedi as taking place prior to it.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops, my mistake, that's the Jude material I intended to list.

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    So the Clone Wars TV show coming soon is slightly less canon than the OT and PT movies. But is the Clone Wars movie that will be in the theaters, on the same canon level as the OT and PT movies?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, the movie is the same as the TV series.

11. JediMasterShawn

JediMasterShawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    I don't think you are taking this movie seriously enough. I read an article that stated that the next season will have twenty six episodes. If the first season has twenty two, and they intend to make one hundred episodes, then, if you do the math, each season except for the first would be twenty six episodes long. It only makes sense that the reason the first season is four episodes short is because of the movie. Trust me, the movie will be not reaired as individual episodes.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. Sorry!

12. Raider88

Raider88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2008
    EDIT: Sorry, misread.

13. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Cool. Thanks.

14. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    How do you move Jedi Trial back to the first year of the war? Doesn't that book end with the beginning of RoTS?

15. Prequel_Dreamer

Prequel_Dreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Nah, you're thinking of Labyrinth of Evil.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jedi Trial was originally set about 30 months after Geonosis (half a year before ROTS).

17. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Right, Labyrinth of Evil. Duh.

So, doesn't Anakin become a Knight in Jedi Trial? But doesn't he also get knighted in the CW cartoons? Did they explain that?

(Forgive all the stupid questions; I've been away for awhile :) )

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've not read Jedi Trial yet myself, but as I understand it, it's decided to knight Anakin at the end of the book, but it doesn't actually show the actual knighting. The Clone Wars Volume 2 cartoon has an unmarked time-jump of sorts between the Hypori/Grievous rescue and subsequent scenes where we see the actual knighting ceremony.

19. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    but now, because of the time compression, there will be no time jump in Chapter 21 of the CW Cartoon right?

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    This is correct.

Actually, IIRC, they could set the CW knighting of Anakin pretty much anytime after Jedi Trial, because they don't mention any dates/battles/anything in the episode.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Most likely not, no (though I suppose it depends on what they ultimately lock the dates down to be).

22. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Clone Wars 3D is replacing the microseries entirely. If this is the case, how can they consider any confrontation between Anakin and Asajj as a rematch (assuming it happens)? Does that mean the Battle of Muunilinst never happened? Gah, Lucas needs to go through and systematically tell us specifically what IS and IS NOT canon. I grow tired of this "levels of canon" cop-out.

</rant>

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lucas himself doesn't involve himself to that degree- he only cares about distinguishing between what he supervised and what he hasn't and the generalities that follow such an undefined position as they pertain to other sources.

From what I understand, Muunilist still happened - I think Lucas has specified this does not supercede the last series. Also I think an upcoming episode or tie-in book involves rescuing Nute and the Separatist leaders captured on Muunilist in the first series.

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    This is not replacing Genndy's series at all.

Filoni has discussed how he was inspired by the previous incarnation, but I'm quite sure that they've mentioned that TCW will fit into continuity somehow, and not replace anything from the Clone Wars campaign (Jedi Trial, Cestus Deception, Shatterpoint, the Yoda one, Labyrinth of Evil, SW:Republic, Genndy's Clone Wars shorts, etc.)

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    It's all canon. The levels are only significant when there's a contradiction that needs to be resolved.