main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Yes, at comic con they said they will find a way to make it work. Maybe some of the books will take place between episodes or something.

The episode they screened had Nute being rescued from the clutches of the Jedi. Nothing about the other Separatists leaders or any mention of Munnilist though. The episode begins with a prisoner transfer. It's not clear how Nute was captured (but I'm guessing was in a previous episode because someone told me Padme captures him).

I like the idea of Padme capturing him, because there was still a lot of unresolved conflict between them I would like to see acknowledged.

2. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    And it shouldn't be that way. There's too much that is contradictory (a lot of which came from earlier years, before the prequels; ala a lot of what is in the Zahn Trilogy or any of the comic books or "dime novels" like The Glove of Darth Vader). That's why it needs to have someone come through with a red pen and slash out everything that IS NOT canon anymore, thus doing away with a lot of what is ridiculous. That's my main problem with Wookieepedia; it makes no differentiation between the movies and the EU.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's no reason for them to "red slash" material though- the vast majority of it doesn't contradict, and subsequent stories and retcons typically bridge contradictions so that there is no contradiction, often paving the way for more good stories.

Boba Fett's backstory, for example- retcons to account for AOTC's new information led to some of the most interesting events in the character's life.

In other words- the approach they take encourages and supports storytelling, instead of countermanding it. And as far as "what is ridiculous" goes, well, most of that is subjective to the reader and is harder to define. What's ridiculous to one reader could be the perfect example of what SW should aspire to be for another. Not to mention the entire prequel trilogy would be in serious danger with that approach ;)

What we're seeing with Clone Wars is exactly what the canon levels are used for in LFL to begin with: an internal ranking system to help determine what source to favor in the event of a contradiction. If there's a contradiction between the movies and Clone Wars, the retcon would generally favor the movies version of events. There are some contradictions emerging from the Clone Wars series with the existing EU material, so they're apparently favoring the TV show's version of events as they reconcile the two. Occassionally it's not the case (IE: TPM greedo, thousands years vs thousand generations, etc), but we're basically seeing things at work as they're meant to be.

4. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    I'm glad to hear that it's the new Clone War's goal not contradict the old Clone War cartoon.

5. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Sorry if this has been covered anywhere else, but in the theforce.net's review of the novelization, it says:

"I'm going to split this out from the rest of the review, since it seems to have been decided on the movie end. All this should be pretty obvious to anyone who's been following the movie and the upcoming animated series, but the project as a whole is... messing with... the established Expanded Universe story of the Clone Wars"

Among the things that are messing up continuity are: (higlight to read): The book is set sometime in the first year of the war. Anakin is already a knight, and has a young Padawan. Jabba the Hutt has an infant son. A number of the clones featured in Revenge of the Sith show up. There are a number of Expanded Universe references within the book itself, but the word is that the movie and the series will rewrite the Clone Wars and prior material will have to work around it as best it can.

So, anyone know how this will be cleaned up? Is there any point in trying?

[EDIT: I just read The2ndQuest's excellent recap of what will be contradicted. But is it really that simple?]

6. Ashoka

Ashoka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    Pretty much anything BEFORE the knighting (as seen in both the Animated Series and the novels) is pushed back to the first year or so of the Clone Wars. Anything else is after.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Simple in general principle, perhaps, but there will be some impressive retconning going on to fully execute it down the road. All depends on how the series progresses and what EU is and isn't referenced by it.

8. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004

And Alpha is now renamed Rex.

Hehe, I think continuity freaks, which I certainly am, is bound for a really hard time in the next few months :)

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Alpha isn't necessarily the same clone as Rex, same way Cody wasn't Alpha. Obi-Wan's just known a few different clones throughout the war. Alpha first, it seems, then Rex, then Cody.

Which works out nicely, if the timeline compression is happening- as Alpha (prior to the Boz Pity mission where he went MIA) was recalled to Kamino to help train the first batch of Clone Commanders (like Cody). So while Alpha's doing that, Rex can step up to serve Obi-Wan during the events of this series until Cody and co are ready for action.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Filoni said that Alpha is Rex, and that Lucas requested the name be changed from Alpha. With there already being Anakin and Ahsoka, Lucas didn't want another character whose name begins with the letter "A" associating with that group.

Such a direct assertion (that Rex is Alpha with a new name), leaves little room for ambiguity.

EDIT: Whoops, nm. I didn't catch the part where he said they weren't ruling out the possibility of introducing Alpha as a separate character later.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Where was that said, btw?

12. EmeraldSpeedster

EmeraldSpeedster Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2008
    I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, and since this is the continuity thread, I figure this to be the right place to ask, is the appearance of Grievous at the Battle of Hypori his canonical first appearance to the Jedi? There is nothing in the episode that explicitly makes me think that this would be their first time encountering him, and in fact the fear that is expressed by the amateurs among them tends to suggest that they may even have already heard some sort of rumblings. So, what is the ruling? And if this isn't the first appearance, do we know when Hypori takes place exactly and if the Clone Wars is going to manufacture a new first appearance for the General? Quite frankly I'd almost like them to fully explain the cyborg transformation and such, not that we haven't already seen it, but so that the non-EU indulgent will finally understand from where he came.

13. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Here -> http://io9.com/5029457/star-wars-clone-wars-debuts-new-alien-friends-and-foes

14. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Hmmm, I didn't catch that part.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hypori, on the current Clone Wars timeline, occurs, like the majority of Volume 1, 4 months after Geonosis and it was supposed to be the debut of Grievous to the Jedi- though I think Grievous encountered and killed at least 1 Jedi in the Geonosian catacombs during the CIS retreat from the planet. They may have gotten rumors or intel on Grievous's existence, but Hypori was supposed to be their first encounter.

It would be pretty keen to have Grievous's history visualized in some manner.

16. Raider88

Raider88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2008
    I don't know if anyone has posted something like this but I just read part of a review that states that the movie and subsequent TV series will take place after chapter 21 of the original cartoon and before chapter 22. I'm pretty sure the reviewer meant to say that the chapters 21 and 22 thing applied only for the movie.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The series will directly follow the events of the movie (the movie was originally the first few episodes of the series, afterall).

18. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out the mistake the reviewer made by saying that the series takes place between chapters 21 and 22 of the micro-series.

19. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    It does take place inbetween Chapters 21 and 22 of the microseries. Curto didn't make a mistake here. ;)

20. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    HAHA OH WOW

Now that I think of it, it IS possible.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- it has to be set after Anakin is made a Knight but before Nelvaan & Coruscant, so that placement seems accurate.

22. Raider88

May 28, 2008
    Because after Nelvaan Anakin and Obi-Wan immediately go save the Chancellor, right? That means Anakin loses Ahsoka between his knighthood and Nelvaan.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I forget if they've established if Anakin/Obi-Wan go to Tythe (from LOE) from Nelvaan or vice-versa before Coruscant, but yeah, it's pretty much the last or second to last stop before Coruscant.

24. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I know he is going to have some sort of small role in the film since I've seen him in a couple scenes in the trailer, but will Plo Koon actually say something this movie?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Dave said in a recent interview that Plo Koon will be speaking (and that George let him decide how he would sound), but i'm not sure if he was talking about the movie or series.