main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* Clone Wars Continuity & Canon Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flashbang, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Yee_Moh

Yee_Moh Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2005

If the Clone Wars Visual Guide book is anything to go by, I'd say that Padme probably is the one who captures him. There are a couple of pages there where it mentions that Nute ends up staring down the barrel of Padme's blaster.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I still hope they go with the deep voice he had in Galactic Battlegrounds and not the squeaky one they had originally planned for the films... [face_worried]

Yeah, I'd say she's the one who turns him in. The fate of the Muunilinst prisoners will probably remain an unsolved mystery. What I'm interested in is how Nute's supposedly already captured by episode 4/5 (the Luminara/Asajj one) and is still fleeing in episode #16 (Grievous's show). Combined with his appearances in the Jar Jar/Padme episodes, it seems he might actually, possibly, just maybe have a marginally important role at long last.

Gunray groupies rejoice!
    :D

3. The_Phenomenon7

The_Phenomenon7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2008
    I Hope they give him a cool voice, The Battle Grounds voice I didn't like alot.
    If Dave Loves The Koon as much as I do, he will do him justice. I'm not worried.

4. Subach

Subach Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    I find it funny how Dave seems just a mite confused why Ashoka has been written off by fans and Rex hasn't.

The answer's quite simple: Rex is BA, Ashoka...isn't.

Which brings me to another issue: In The Clone Wars, the 501st seem to be just another unit in The Open Circle fleet. Yet, by Battlefront II, they're completely detached from the rest of the army, and are directly under the command of Palpatine, being commanded by Vader in the Temple purge seemed to be a big deal to them.
    Not to mention the whole Appo/Rex thing. (Which I hope is explored in the series, as there has to be a good story in there.)

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The 501st were always special. They had been as far back as Survivors Quest. They became associated with Palpatine and then Vader, seemingly.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    UP, since it hasn't been looked at since the theatrical release and we have a bunch of new posters in here. :)

7. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    :-D I'm so pumped!

8. HD89

HD89 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2008

9. TheGeneralsBeard

TheGeneralsBeard Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    Isn't Cody mentioned by name in the opening Obi-Wan scenes of the movie?

Doesn't that add another clone for 'ol Ben to juggle with over 3 years?

10. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    There was some discussion on "some other" board out there about the problems with continuity and the comic Clone Wars adaptations out there. I see most of the issues here being discussed having more to do the novels... I could be wrong and I'm not a reader of the comics, but thought it was interesting... any thoughts?

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The novels and comics were made to be in the same continuity, so what happens to one will affect the other, at least in some places (primarily any material dealing with Anakin). The stuff with Quin would mostly be untouched.

12. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Ok so can someone explain to where in continuity this series falls in into in relation to the 2D Genndy Tratakovsky series? I mean in the first set of episodes Anakin meets Ventress for the first time and presumably kills her, obviously she survives and that is why she in this seires.

The way I see it is that this series has to take place somewhere after all 20 episodes of the first volume and the very beggining of chapter 21 of the second volume of episodes. Right?

I mean does C3-PO Have his Gold plating in the series? All the Clone Trooper armor and Jedi Fighters are from Attack of the Clones. This series can't take place anywhere after episode 21 of the second volume because thoes events lead directly to the beggining or Reveng of the Sith. Besides Anaking looks like he did in Attack of the Clones. The Clone Trooper Armor and Jedi Starfighers are all the Attack of the Clones versions.

Arawn_Fenn said that " If that scheme were accurate, it would have to be after the first 19 episodes. Episode 20 is clearly in the same time frame as Episode 21."

TCW_Fan responded with "Why not after the twenty-first episode? If I remember correctly, episode twenty-one contains Attack of the Clones-looking characters and clones, and it is at the start of the twenty-second episode that we first see Revenge of the Sith-looking characters and clones. In this new series, the Jedi seem to already know about Grievous, so the series must take place after the encounter on Hypori, right?"

jedi-soon says "The key to me was the scar. I think it first debuted in the 21st episode. A long passage of time is compressed into a very short span immediately following Anakin's knighting. He is shown to have longer hair by the end of it and depicted as returning to Padme with the scar, by which she is shocked. So TCW must take place in this span of time!"

The2ndQuest says "The current series takes place sometime after Anakin's knighting (which was in Chapter 21 I think)."

So TCW_Fan makes a good point. This series must take place after Ki Adi Mundi fought Grevious on Hypori. Jedi-soon's theory almost makes sense save for the fact that in all that time span and when he goes back to Padme he sports his Ep3 look and hair and his Ep3 Jedi Starfighter.

Unless Clone Troopers go back and forth between their Ep 2 and Ep 3 Armors and Jedi alternate between the older Ep2 Jedi Starfighters and the Ep3 ones. I mean I guess thats possible, but hard to swallow. Anakin could grow his hair out and cut it again several times.

I mean is it just me or are there some glaring inconsistencies here? I'm so confused.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Oops, I didn't even think of placing the series "within" one of the Tartakovsky episodes, I thought I had to put it between them...:p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The change in style and direction can probably account for most of them. Right now the Clone Wars timeline is sort of fluid until this series is closer to completion, to allow greater flexibility for continuity as the show progresses. Some details will specifically carry over, others are broader strokes until we learn more.

Anakin's a knight here, so it can't be set any earlier than the Chapter of CWGT where ANakin is knighted. It may happen shortly after that or in the middle of the "passage of time" montage or be set immediately prior to Obi-Wan and ANakin going to Nelvaan. It's somewhere in there, though.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I don't consider any of the novels canon, they're fun but they are just EU. This is canon. I don't see what the debate is over -- Lucas is supervising this show and it's not like he isn't seeing every script or episode. It's not even that hard. Now asking Lucas to read every book and give advice would take forever, the poor guy would be busy constantly doing that. But looking over what amounts to maybe 20 page scripts for each episode, no big deal. Watching the episodes takes no time really either, you could polish off a whole season in what 8 hours tops? It's canon.

16. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    Good point The2ndQuest

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    BUMP, since we get so many threads on TCW continuity. ;)

18. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Yup, set during the Episode 21 montage, after the knighting, after the 'graduation gift' of R2, after the scar, but before the Phase 2 clone armour. There's only one teeny glitch, which is where Ani gets his Eta-class Starfighter, which appears before the scar in the Gendy cartoons. Still, not at all bad as these things go.

19. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Aha! Just the folks to help me assess the following... I read a review of The Clone Wars movie over at the mutantreviewers site yesterday and noted this in the 'Intermission!' section:

'Anakin is shown here already sporting the facial scar we see in Episode III. Official continuity states he received the scar from Asajj Ventress approximately thirty months after the Battle of Geonosis (Episode II). According to the opening voiceover, however, the movie is supposed to take place ?soon after? the Battle of Geonosis. [Doug] Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder! [/Doug]'

True? Not? To be honest, I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to continuity so don't care all that much whether it is or not, but thought some of you might be interested...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There may be tweaks and condensing done to the existing Clone Wars timeline to provide the movie/series more room to take place in. Events surrounding Anakin and him recieving his scar may be pushed to take place much earlier in the war than they are currently, as the intention, it seems, is for this new series to be set during the first year of the war.

That being said, there's also the possibiltiy that the whole new series will be set in the last year of the war, and the current dating for the Ventress/scar event can remain the same.

They're not saying things are one way or the other until the series is closer to completion so they don't end up contradicting themselves twice.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bump.

Unlikely- as far as we have bene told by Lucasfilm, the worst that will happen is that the timeline of Clone Wars material may be compressed to permit more room for the show's stories, but they're not going to determine anything unil the seies is closer to completion. They may not have to change anything if the series ends up iftting in the last year or so of the war, for example.

LOE is probably safest from any contradiction as it's the immediate predecessor to ROTS based on Lucas's notes, and seeing as Anakin is already a Knight by then no matter how you look at the timeline, the new series does't affect it much at all.

We've also seem a great deal of EU references in The Clone Wars episodes so far, and Dave has professed to be a fan of the material in the past. Additionally, writers Gilroy, Stradley and Rubio have all worked on EU comics in the past, so they have at least some familiarity with the material.

It seems to simply come down to what makes a better story or best fits what Lucas wants- if EU material will fit in, they'll do it. Otherwise they'll do their own thing and LFL will work out continuity issues later.

Anyways, that's pretty much the state of it.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The way that I've rationalized the way that the Micro Series, Clone Wars and the novels all fit together is that they all look at the war from different points of view. The Micro Series gave us little snippets of Anakin and Obi-wan experiences during the Clone Wars, but we also saw Master Windu, Kit Fisto and Master Yoda. The EU novels focused on Windu, Obi-wan, Bariss Offee, Master Luminara and Yoda. Right now, the focus of Clone Wars is entirely on Anakin and Ahsoka, but we've been told that there will be episodes with only clones or focusing entirely on Greivous or Dooku, so I could see where little references to the Micro Series, Shatterpoint, Med Star or The Cestus Decption might start to creep in to the show.

23. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    "The fate of the Muunilinst prisoners will probably remain an unsolved mystery."

It'd be cool to see Grievous lead a rescue mission to rescue San Hill.

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I have no problem with what GL is doing, but I wish he had gave his outline to his Clone Wars prior, then there would be less confusion.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, the mysterious missing San Hill. I never understood why the EU let that one slide. There could have been a great story behind that.

I would love to see Grievous interact with Hill at least once in the series. Their relationship was so... weird. I HIGHLY doubt Hill would let Grievous boss him around like the other Seps. Especially after what happened in LOE and Visionaries.