main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Clone Wars Season 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    No, the Grevious/Chancellor stuff is the same as in the book, I do believe. Of course the cartoons have skipped quite a lot of the battle that was in LoE. Mace is on planet as well. Isn't there a whole sequence with him and Kit Fisto?

The weird thing is Anakin and Obi-Wan, who are on a totally different planets, doing totally different things, when compared to LoE. Anakin's trial would have to had to take place before the battle began to keep with continuity. But it does seem weird to intercut the two in CW (battle of Coruscant and Anakin's trial) if they're not taking place simultaneously.

edit: I would say LoE is more canon. Lucas seems to have much tighter reins over the novels. Gennedy has said that Lucas just really lets them go with the cartoons, although there is an effort to keep continuity (though it doesn't really seem so).

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    They're both EU, only the films are not.

But you'd think Lucasfilm would have done a better job of making sure these two had matched up. With all the hype about the 'lead up to ROTS' you'd think they would try not to confuse us.

3. Darth_Dragon_7

Darth_Dragon_7 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    Eh, I"m not too overly concerned about continuity with a cartoon.

But anyway, I loved the beginning of 22. Whoever that leader was talking about how many Jedi it would take. That was funny stuff when he was playing the guessing game with the droid.

4. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    My fave moment in Chapter 23 is when Yoda pulls the droid ships into each other . . . wizard! Mace bronco-flying the droid-fighter is silly, but fun.

I've never liked how Anakin is drawn like a steroid pumped, square-jawed football player, but does anyone else agree that they went too far in drawing in highly visible, bushy underarm hair?!

Like, O.K., we get it, he is a virile male . . . are we secure enough about this already?! (Sorry, forgot I was watching a cartoon!)

5. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    but does anyone else agree that they went too far in drawing in highly visible, bushy underarm hair?!

[face_laugh] Glad to know I wasn't the only one to notice that.

6. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    Did anyone else think that the dude at the very beginning of Chapter 22 looked like something out of the yellow submarine movie? This episode was cool, but this timeline is really confusing me as well.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Awesome, awesome episode. The best single Clone Wars episode of them all.

We had: Anakin and Obi-Wan on a quest, with Anakin being all cocky hero, and Obi-Wan being Wise Old Man.

"Trial by fire" ha ha ha.

Yoda and Mace in uber-Clone Wars action. So cool.

No one mentioned Saesee Tinn and the Spacetroopers BOARDING a Separatist ship!!!! Coolest part!

We had Grievous at the end, throw in a little Threepio and Padme - and even Captain Typho. ;)

Mace was with Shaak Ti in Labyrinth, trying to find Sidious. The part with Yoda meditating then using the Force to open his blinds is spot on.

Mace and Kit Fisto hook up, Shaak Ti hooks up with Stass Allie, I believe.

In the book, Palps isn't quite that calm - drinking tea. He's pacing. And I believe Grievous flies down in a gunship and blows the window to Palpatine's apartment open.

They got the reference to the no-name Jedi - left-overs from the Hyperspace vote from Season One!

The chaos of the Opening Space Battle was fantastic, I can't wait for the first 20 minutes of ROTS!

Oh yeah - just to screw up continuity even more (not that it really bothers me either way), but I think the planet Obi-Wan and Anakin are checking out is:

Nelvaan.

page 336 Labyrinth of Evil:

Dooku had ordered the droid pilot of the sloop to revert from hyperspace for a brief time at the planet Nelvaan. Should any ships among the Republic battle group at Tythe plot his escape course, it would appear that Nelvaan was his destination. The sloop's Geonosian technology would mask the fact that he had jumped almost immediately to Coruscant to join Grievous, and to play out the final act of the drama Sidious had composed.

The abduction of Palpatine had not only abbreviated the search for him, but also allowed Sidious to escape Coruscant undetected. But those events had been minor acts. Sidious would never have allowed the Jedi to expose him. And Palpatine was hardly the prize he appeared to be.

The greater prize, Sidious had told Dooku during their most recent communication, was Anakin Skywalker.

"Long have you watched him," Dooku had said, repeating words Sidious himself had spoken.

"Longer than you know, Lord Tyranus. Longer than you know. And the time has come to test him again."

"His skills, my lord?"

"The depth of his anger. His willingness to go beyond the Force, as the Jedi know it, and to call on the power of the dark side. General Grievous will activate a special beacon that will call Skywalker and Kenobi back to Coruscant, and onto the stage we will set for them."

Then Sidious's plan for Kenobi and Skywalker follows.

Then Chapter 56, the next page and conclusion to Labyrinth of Evil:

The two starfighters sat side by side in the launching bay, only a few metres separating them, engines warming, droids in their sockets, cockpit canopies raised.

Neither pilot wore a helmet, so Anakin could hear Obi-Wan plainly when he shouted: "For all the jinks and jukes you've taken me through, there's no one else I'd rather fly with."

Anakin canted his head and smiled. "It's about time you admitted it. Can I take that to mean you'll follow my lead without question?"

"To the best of my ability," Obi-Wan said. "I may not always be able to remain at your wing, but I won't be far off, and I'll always have your back."

"When I call for help, you'll come speeding to the rescue."

"The day you call for help, I'll know that we're both in over our heads."

Anakin adopted a serious look. "Obi-Wan, you don't know how many times you've already rescued me."

Obi-Wan swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. "Then whatever lies ahead for us shouldn't be a problem."

Anakin laughed lightly. "Who'll restore peace to the galaxy if we don't?"

Obi-Wan returned a tight-lipped nod. "At least you said WE."

They lowered the starfighters' canopies and engaged the repulsors, lifting off, rotating 180 degrees, and easing through the launching bay's transparent containment field.

Flying abreast, all but sha

8. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    I wondered if this cartoon wouldn't provide for a few continuity issues by the end. I'd offer ideas, but I haven't read it yet (saving money for C3). As is, I'm content to sit back until LFL's people put out the word.

23 was pretty darned cool (as viewed via my brand-new Hyperspace account). I love how Mace always ends up doing the most insane, over-the-top action in these things. Also, even his starfighter is purple. Nice.

Interesting to see Dooku's advice about his greatest weapon against the Jedi coming into play. Shaak Ti was freaked out. Not that I blame her.

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    doesnt LoE fall under EU whereas the cartoon is more cannon being that its brought to us through LucasFilm??

It's all EU as far as I'm concerned. The only thing that really matters are the films.

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Agreed.

Better just to enjoy all the Clone Wars campaign has to offer, rather than bantering back and forth about continuity.[face_thinking]

But it's so much fun!:p

11. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Normally I would agree with Durwood's assertion that if it's not in the movies it's not cannon as that has been my mantra since before TPM was released, but this time things are a little different. Granted there are some things in the second series that are obviously tacked-on or too over the top to be cannon, but at the same time this series is about the events described in the opening crawl of the film and therefore portions of it do have some value to the movie saga. I think that pretty much everyone on this board has read the opening crawl to ROTS and we should be familiar enough with it to discern what in this series is a part that of that and what is not. I have been watching it with that in mind and I think it has enhanced my enjoyment of it quite a bit but then again I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it anyway.

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Think about it like this:

Labyrinth of Evil: a history of the Clone Wars written by a popular historian.

The Clone Wars cartoons: the Hollywood blockbuster version, "based on the novel by James Luceno" [face_laugh]

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Am important thing to remember is the 'hazy window' theory.

Basically, all the views of Star Wars are correct, but some of them are a little hazy. The movies themselves are perfectly clear, but the books are more hazy, the comics more hazy, and I'd consider a cartoon even more hazy.

14. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Well the EU is all we have for the Clone Wars, and how can you not be interested in the events leading up to ROTS? I'm not so into any other EU, post-ROTJ, but this 3 year time span is fascinating to me. And George is keeping quite a bit of control over what info is allowed in the CW EU, and there really haven't been any discrepencies between books/comics/etc. until now.

So what was up with Yoda riding that horse-creature? Are their stables on Coruscant?

15. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Wasn't that the same horse creature he was riding in the very first episode of Clone Wars?

Either way, Yoda and Mace both kicked butt yesterday.[face_alien_1]

16. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I definitely agree with that. I tried the post-ROTJ EU and really couldn't stand it. But I salivate over the Clone Wars EU stuff. It's really great. I just got a few comics in the mail today, and I'm checking those out now.

But, while I don't think there have been contradictions in the timeline until this week's cartoons, I think the timeline has been very confusing for the last year with all of the things being released all over the place. For example, I still have a hard time figuring our what is up with Asaaj and Durge. When will they die???? It seems that Obsession might resolve the Asaaj storyline, what about Durge? Will we see him in the cartoons this week?

17. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Anakin takes care of Durge in "Obsession #2", and supposedly Asajj will be offed in the last issue.

I definitely agree that the overall timeline is quite confusing since everything was released out of order. The one on the OS doesn't help a whole lot.

Yoda and Mace definitely pulled some amazing stunts, why do I get the feeling it'll happen again tonight. So, on Coruscant anyway, we're almost poised to go past the events in LoE. Am I'm curious to see if the Anakin/Obi-Wan continuity issue will right itself... and of course, I'm quite interested in shirtless Ani's spiritual quest. ;)

18. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I hope they continue the storyline of the abduction of Palpatine. I liked that story in LoE.

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    WOW.

Absolutely spectacular. By far the best episode of both seasons. Amazing.

Now we see why Qui-Gon and the tree...Anakin had his version of the tree and saw his life and his fall.

The lightsaber duels were fantastic.

20. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Ithorians are awesome if I do say so myself.

21. Irish_Ghost

Irish_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    ooohh wow.

The cave seen was awesome. Anakin sees his lifestory. Felt kinda trippy though.

Awesome train scene. Though for some reason it felt like something in the movies.

Brilliant!

22. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    That. Was. Awesome.

I was definitely not expecting the Seperatists to be involved with this.

That vision Anakin had with the wall paintings was FANTASTIC. I almost got chills at the end there, when the hero became the very thing he was trying to destroy. :eek:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I didn't think Shaak Ti, et al and the Chancellor ever made it out of his chambers in LoE. Ah, well only one Jedi is coming out of this alive if it matches the book.

It was cool to see Grevious magna guards in action, they are definitely bad ass. :cool:

I totally love the cartoon version of Shaak Ti. :p

I bet they used a lot more computer animation in this one. I miss the commentary we got with the first season.

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Grievous is GREAT in these cartoons. I hope the film version is as energetic and dynamic. I loved how he tore through the clones in Palpatine's office. On that note...are these cartoons getting more violent? He really shredded those clones. Maybe a good sign for excessive violence in the movie!

I think the storyline is somewhat OK...I seem to remember Grievous leaving in a ship and then catching up to them on the train, but it is close enough, I guess. Now Mace needs to get involved again in the next episode.

24. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm afraid film Grievous will not live up to cartoon Grievous.

It will be interesting to see how his fighting with Jedi works out in the films, as we've now seen the IG-100 Driods are very succuptible to Force attacks.

!snap

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    In Labyrinth, IIRC, the gunship blows up the window outside Palps' office, then there is a bit of a fight.

Shaak Ti and Stass Allie and Red Guards take Palps down this elevator shaft all the way down to the ground level. That's when they get the idea to take the train, and Mace and Kit Fisto meet them there.

If they get on the train in the next episode and meet Kit and Mace, it won't be TOO far away from what happened in Labyrinth.

Grievous rules, the Magna Droids rule too.

Ithorians rule.

The train sequence was phenomenal.

Overall, I enjoyed yesterday's more, just because it had more main characters, but the duels in this will be hard to top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.