main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Clone Wars Season 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    It was not a force push. It was actually a force pull from Shaak.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ghost . . . that does make a whole lot more sense!

2. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Tonight's episode was awsome. Grievous finally revealed his quad arms... Mace just overpowering him... wow.

!snap

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Meh, I didn't think it was that great, honestly.

Except for the end.

4. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I loved it when Mace crushed Grievie. :cool:

5. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Uh, I don't get it. Why did Grievous all of a sudden have four arms?

6. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    Uh, I don't get it. Why did Grievous all of a sudden have four arms?

They've always been there.

!snap

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    He always has. He just hadn't really used them until now (that I remember).

Nice little element of surprise.

8. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Ok, I assumed that they were always there from an in universe point of view, but, for example, did they have those arms planned out when they made Chapter 20?

Just wondering. It seemed kind of random to me. :)

9. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    The very first concept art of Grievous shows the four arms. This was way before the cartoons covered him.

!snap

10. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    What I liked most about the episode is Anakin trying to run away from his vision. Whenever he Obi-Wan brings it up, he tries to avoid the subject.

It is good to see that Genndy is continuing this character arc in Anakin: the inability to accept one's fate.

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Good stuff.

Obi-Wan words of wisdom always get cut off by some sort of incident (in every piece of EU I've read). Anakin never has time to reflect.

Shaak Ti was pretty badass with all those Magna guards, even though they eventually let her go.

Cute little moment between Yoda has his horse-creature thing. :p

And I'm really glad Anakin didn't kill any of the warriors. But the force choke on the Techno Union minion was pretty cool. Bad, of course, but cool.

So Nelvaan is mentioned at the end of LoE. Dooku is using it as a decoy planet, to try and convince Republic ships that he's there. So since we have 2 completely different lead ins for Anakin/Obi-Wan I wonder which one should considered "more accurate"...

12. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    Is LoE good? Should I read it?

!snap

13. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Indeed you should.

It's worth it entirely for the camraderie between Obi-Wan and Anakin, the extended opening of the battle of Coruscant, and the Grevious backstory.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Labyrinth is very entertaining.

In Labyrinth, Palpatine has a personal beacon he gets Grievous to set off which beams to Kenobi and Skywalker.

In Clone Wars, Mace sends them a message.

Yet Reversal of Fortune seems closer to Clone Wars than to Labyrinth to me.

Awesome episode - I totally loved it when the Nelvaanian warriors all ripped their cannon arms off!

Question:

Is Mace's Force-crushing Grievous' chest going to be the *Official* explanation for Grievous' cough in ROTS?

IIRC, his cough was never mentioned in Labyrinth.

Also, the whole train incident was COMPLETELY different than Labyrinth. Some of the Lit wizards might try to fit it all together, but I don't really care.

I'm going to watch them all back to back later tonite.

15. drth sidious

drth sidious Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 1999
    The whole LoE/RoF/CW continuity thing is causing a ruckus over in Lit. I'm with you Garth, far more content to wait it out and see what the final verdict is.

Thoughts on Ch.25
    -Grievous' four hands was a big shock
    -:( I liked the Talz and Ithorian Jedi
    -Wasn't too keen on the whole Anakin bit, but liked seeing him kill the Skakoan
    -Loved the last shot. Amazing!

16. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    I just wanted to point out something that was raised in sssw that is very interesting, this is originally posted by eddie-wan-kenobi:

Did anyone else not pick up the message in Anakins return with the mutated warriors? They were all ugly, deformed and only shells of what they had been. Everyone recoiled at the sight of them. All but one. Who? One of thems SON! He accepted the father for who he still was inside the deformed, part machine body. SOUND FAMILIAR? These last two episodes really struck a chord with me because I am really into the Anikan-fall, redemption via Luke part of the saga. Think the whole thing was beutifally done.

17. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    The Nelvaan plot was so chock full of symbolism, it was really well done. I absolutely love that kind of stuff. I still can't believe the Vader mask appeared in Anakin's vision.

What exactly were the Seppies trying to do by mutating the Nelvaan? Just furthering their seeming fascination with combining the living with machines? We're getting that symbolism all over the place now. And I liked how the only way Anakin could destroy the facility was by using his mechanical arm and it too was destroyed in the process.

18. zenwave

zenwave Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    It is good to see that Genndy is continuing this character arc in Anakin: the inability to accept one's fate.

I don't really think the theme of Anakin's tragic flaw is an inability to accept his fate. To paraphrase ObiWan, it is his inability to look at the things that scare him the most, examine them, and be mindful of them when making life choices. More Buddhist philosophy slipped into the popular consciousness via Star Wars!

After AoTC was out, and I first heard that there was going to be a cartoon series I was very skeptical, but now I must say it was, "impressive - most impressive"!

19. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    The very first concept art of Grievous shows the four arms. This was way before the cartoons covered him.

Awesome. Thanks a lot! :D

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Wow. That was a great moment as well:

Grievous in a saber lock with the Talz and Ithorian Jedi, then pulling out two MORE sabers?!?! [face_devil]

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Just watched all 5 Season 2 chapters back to back.

So much fun.

Couple of points;

- I loved Saesee Tinn and the spacetroopers boarding the Separatist capital ship. I mentioned it before, but I have to say it again.

- I really liked the one scene in Chapter 24(?) where the Clone Commander is being overrun by Super Battle Droids and he beats one down with his rifle then chucks his rifle at the next droid, drawing his blaster at the same time.

- It's cool to see the blue tattooing of Anakin is only on his right side. So he's half light, half dark. Half man, half machine. And the tattooing ends right over his heart. Nice touch.

- Noticed the Wilhelm when one of the Clonetroopers gets rocked by a MagnaGuard.

- anyone notice the tribute to the Matrix (sorry, Windy) when Shaak Ti was using the electrostaff?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and notice that Anakin did all his "bad" killing of the Skakoans with his mechanical hand? Again, nice subtle touch.

22. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    A great finale. Definitely some conflicts with LoE, but that's OK. The dueling was great. The storylines were good. The force choke was wonderful. I had been starting to wonder at the end of episode 24, where Anakin tries not to fight the mutated warriors, "how is this defender of good going to turn pure evil in just a matter of days?" But seeing the mayhem he caused at the end of the battle, and the destruction he wrought, especially the force choke, made the transition a little more possible for me.

Garth - the 'cough' sounds like a spoiler to me...

23. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    There has been a lot of talk about how cw conflicts w/ loe, least people have something to complain about. Just wondering how does rotf fit into this, considering all three sources.

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Agreed. I asked over in Lit if Reversal of Fortune would be a "tiebreaker" between discrepancies in Labyrinth and Clone Wars. We'll see what the consensus is.

storm - the cough isn't a spoiler, it was released in that Homing Beacon on Grievous' voice:

From the Homing Beacon:

When General Grievous barks his orders, his minions scurry to carry out their tasks. His is a commanding presence, and his fearsome demeanor leaves no room for questions. His implacable metallic skeleton gives him the aspect of a droid, but hidden inside the armored carapace is an unwholesome, living being. To remind viewers of this inner Grievous, his words are occasionally punctuated with a hard, wet hacking cough -- suggesting that Grievous is literally rotten to the core.

Providing the voice of Grievous is Matthew Wood, whose history with Star Wars has been mostly behind-the-scenes. Though Wood is an actor, his contribution to the prequel trilogy has been primarily as Supervising Sound Editor. His access to the Episode III production process may have given him a head's up that casting was underway for the part, but the use of a pseudonym ensured that insider status didn't factor into the selection process.

On set, Duncan Young read Grievous' lines for the benefit of the actors. His voice was never intended to make it into the final film, and it was edited out of the mix early on along with much of the production audio. Ben Burtt and others supplied temporary voices on the track, all heavily modulated to be appropriate for a cyborg general.

"We put out a casting package of those modulated voices, looking for voice actors," says Wood. "Chris Scarabosio processed each one, and we would play these for George for him to evaluate. We went through a lot of different people, and on the last package we sent out, I put my own voice on there, though I didn't put my name on it."

With the pseudonym "Alan Smithee," Wood's reading of Grievous was played for Lucas without introduction, and he selected it. "It was great, but then I thought, 'should I tell him that it's me?'" recounts Wood. "When George found out, he said 'Great, let's record him tomorrow.'"

In a three-hour recording session, Wood laid down all of Grievous lines. "He's definitely an evil character. He's the leader of the droid army, but not a droid. He feels things; he feels things extremely, I would say. It's a lot of yelling, and shouting out orders, so it had a lot of drill sergeant to it."

While studying acting at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, Wood came across a website that offered samples of various accents to help actors hear and mimic patterns of speech from around the world. "You could hear the same line of dialogue read in different accents," he says. "I liked the sound of the Eastern European and Romanian accents. Also, I had just come back from Prague, so I had that in mind for Grievous."

In the finished film, Grievous' voice will undergo some sort of processing. Currently, it is lowered in pitch and has a ring modulation to it. That may change as the audio mix is still being put together. Wood offers the caveat that everything may still change, having witnessed all the prequels being made. "But I did also record Grievous for the Episode III videogame. I did 125 lines of dialogue for that."

Sorry for the confusion. You can kind of see it in the 60 Minutes footage too if you look closely.

25. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I really enjoyed the final episode. The mutant story was really a lot more powerful than I expected after the previous chapters but I was really moved by the Anakin going beszerk scene and the little boy walking up to his dad.

The battles were great too. I was getting a little tired of GG but he was doing well in this episode.

Out of all the episodes the Jedi with the Ram horns was AWESOME!!! I hope he's in the movies or something he was too cool for school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.