Official Comic - Con 2003 Planning Thread - UPDATE 5/1/03

Discussion in 'Orange County, CA' started by SRB_Jedi_Knight, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    If you pre-register, you should be able to get a 4 day pass for $45. Parking is $5/day at the convention center, unless you can find street parking. Street parking was kinda thin last year due to all the construction. There are plenty of places to eat down there (Wendy's, McDonald's, Subway, etc.) so food expenses shouldn't be to much. There are also nice places to eat in the Gas Lamp district if you want to go out to a nice dinner. And of course, the Old Spaghetti Factory is down there too. There is also a Ralph's that you can go to to get things like bottled water and granola bars (essential at any convention). Depending on what you collect, you may want to save up a few hundred for figures and such. Most of the figures are unfortunately overpriced (scalpers), but some good deals can be had. There is also artwork for sale and obviously comics. This is the largest comic book/sci-fi convention on the west coast, so you can usually find pretty much anything, from art to props. There's also a mall in the area (Horton Plaza) with a food court and plenty of stores to shop. I think I've covered anything. If I've missed something, please feel free to chime in or ask.
  2. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I haven't really started collecting figures yet, and the only comics I have are older ones that I have gotten here and there when I have bought Star Wars collections from people.
    Will there be posters, advertising and promotional items, costume related items, unusual collectibles? These are more along the lines of things I am looking for, oh that and trading cards and stickers. Is there older stuff there like from the Trilogy?
    I bought some stuff from Celebration II off of some people that went. Mostly advertising items, collectors items that were only given out or sold there. Is it the same kind of thing at the convention?
  3. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Its kinda the same, but instead of being just Star Wars it Comic and everything else all rolled into it. They have alot of people in costume, Trading cards, you name it you'll probably find it there. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Its an enormous convention, not just the vendor floor but the seminars and panels that take place throughout are more than I can count.
  4. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Does it have items like Celebration II did that can ONLY be purchased at the convention? Like the George Lucas figure you could buy and the cards and things they gave away?
  5. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    About the only thing that I know is exclusive is the comic-con t-shirt. It's not usually anything special though. Vendors do sometimes have exclusives, but no one usually knows what they are till you get there. A lot of the big vendors will usually have Comic-Con only deals too.

EDIT: Will there be posters, advertising and promotional items, costume related items, unusual collectibles? These are more along the lines of things I am looking for, oh that and trading cards and stickers. Is there older stuff there like from the Trilogy?

YES
  6. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    omg I better start saving now. I am gonna go broke there I can tell already.
  7. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, and one thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Saturday at Comic-Con is Star Wars day. It's not an official con thing, but Dark Horse usually has signings all day for Star Wars related comics, there are panels talking about new comics and books, and Steve Sansweet's presentation is usually on Saturday, in the morning. The new big ballroom is usually full all day saturday. Last year they had a LOTR presentation followed a couple hours later by a Star Wars presentation. I spent most of the day in that ballroom and only left to go see a presentation from Joss Whedon on Buffy. I think I finally left the upper level at around 5pm that day and then went straight to the dealers room.

Yes, I'm into too many different things :)
  8. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Aha we are interested in the same things. I also like LOTR and Buffy. It so cool that Joss was there...I hope he is again. I would love to hear him talk about the show. Only thing is that this is supposedly the last year with SMG and the show next season is going to be based on Dawn, yuk. Oh well, all good things must come to an end sometime.
  9. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    That is assuming there is a next season. From what I've been reading, none of the other cast members have signed on and Anya has stated that she is done with the show. UPN is hoping to get something worked out though. Oh well, only time will tell.
  10. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Hey I just remembered that my brother lives in Chula Vista, not far from San Diego. Apparently he has a new place, a townhouse I think. I know I could crash there and I'm sure he would let me have a few friends crash there for the event as well. I will ask him and let you know. It could help out the people who have to pay their way into the convention from not also having to pay for a hotel room.
  11. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I stayed at a Motel 6 for one night two years ago for Comic-Con. I'll never do it again. It was either me or it seemed like a very unsafe place. There were signs everywhere (on the back of the room door and other places in the room) telling you to lock your door and windows and keep your curtains closed. They also had an annoying security guard that had me yelling my room number to him (he kept thinking i was saying 308 when I was saying 208, I was on the right floor and I knew it). Of course, I may have just had a bad experience. I think I personally would rather stay at the Hyatt (only 2 blocks away, walking distance) then have to drive back and forth each night.

Thanks for mentioning that though. Maybe some other people around here will want to take you up on the offer.
  12. TK-1178 Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you've never been to a Comic-Con before, you can check out the Site I put together for the last one. I'll be updating it SOON for 2003! :)
    SD Comic-Con Info

Jeff
  13. Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Wow thanks for posting that! It looks awesome! I am definately going!
  14. jedi_janie Jedi Master

star 1
    I'd be willing to take you up on that P_S, about your brother's place! I might be able to afford all 4 days that way. Last year was a lot of fun, but since I could only go one day and I took my kids, I didn't get to see half as much as I wanted to. For my first time, it was good though - to see what I expect for next year.
  15. BobaFett-MP Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, that's a good idea! Maybe we should have a schedual for the website when it gets closer!
  16. zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Master

star 4
    hi guys;

i like your idea PS...then we could carpool down and save gas too...not to mention the good times...count me in too!
  17. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Something else I forgot to mention before. If you plan on picking up any posters (and there are a lot that are just plain free), I strongly suggest you get a poster tube for carrying them. It's the one item that I need to get badly for the coming con.
  18. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes LordJedi is correct. I wish I had one at the last one.
  19. AnakinWisler Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi everyone. I have been looking on the Comic Con website to pre-register, but I can't find it. I want to get the four day passes, but haven't been able to find the place to print the registration form. A thought? Anyone?
  20. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't worry, pre-registration hasn't started yet. It will probably start in January or February. I should be getting an update sometime that will have more info and when I do, I will post it here.

EDIT: I believe it was $40 to pre-register at the con last year, which is $5 more than the years before. My guess would be that to pre-register, when it starts up, it will be around $45 and go up based on whatever dates are listed.
  21. MikeyKnew Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, this will be my eleventh year at the ComicCon. Unlike most of you (this is an assumption), I am a much bigger comic book fan than a Star Wars fan. I was thinking of setting up a booth for Dimestore Comics, a company that I am starting. It is a comic book publishing venture, and I think it would be a great oppurtunity for me to see some new talent, and possibly hire some artists or writers. I always stay with friends down there, and it's actually possible that I could be living in SD by July.

I would be super excited if we (I included myself in the you, I hope that's ok) have a booth. Unfortunatly I wouldn't be able to work at it, due to working at my own booth and walking around the convention, dorking out at every turn, loving comics like my mother, gushing at Chynna Clugston-Major (if you've never read Blue Monday, you need to do it NOW), and just having the time of my life.

Also, I get in free every year, by saying that I work for MGM (this isn't stealing, because I actually have worked the convention for them twice, and I worked for that studio for a year as a publicist). If any of you work for press-related companies, or for some sort of major entertainment interest, you may want to explore this avenue (sorry Tracy, Subway doesn't count :p ).

PS- The convention falls on my 23rd birthday this year!!! July 18th
  22. SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice, my birthday is July 18th also! I planned on the Con being my B-day present this year!
  23. MikeyKnew Jedi Knight

star 1
    Really?! That rules!!! We should have a birthday bash, Spaghetti Factory, LOOK OUT!!!!
  24. BobaFett-MP Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey P_S, I didn't see your post until now. That would be very cool! I plan on buying the 4-day pass. $45 is not much (I mean hey, it costs over $350 to get a ride in a B-17, and about $500 in a P-51 Mustang! So $45 bucks for a 4 day event is a great deal to me!)
  25. MikeyKnew Jedi Knight

star 1
    I forgot to tell you guys, I might be in Spain during the convention :(
    The reason I forgot this is: I just realized that the dates overlapped! I am severely bummed out right now. . .I haven't missed the con in 10 years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.