main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Official Comic - Con 2003 Planning Thread - UPDATE 5/1/03

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by SRB_Jedi_Knight, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    ok...i will wait and see what the convention rate it before i start looking.

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Ok, I finally have more info. Looks like the Hyatt is indeed not available. That's not a problem though since we have a few other choices.

Embassy Suites: $167 per night, 4 blocks from the convention center

Clarion Hotel Bay View: $124 per night, 1 block from the convention center.

The difference between the two seems to be that Embassy Suites has complimentary breakfast and Clarion does not.

Hilton Gas Lamp quarter: $179 per night, across the street.

If you need to know anything else, or you want to look for yourself, you can PM me or head over to the Comic-Con website.

3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Make sure everyone checks out the link as they are starting to update the site now. I noticed a section about the Star Wars Fan Film awards which will be taking place at the Con this year. These took place at Celebration II last time. So it should be pretty cool to check out.

4. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    I wouldn't mind paying 30-35 a night (if split 4 or more ways). Sounds good Barry! I really want to get registered, but I'm waiting until we get the hotel thing straightened out before I do it..... What do you suggest we go for?

5. Theatrix

Theatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2001
    FYI -

The Hyatt does seem to be on the list at:

http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCIHotels.html

Actually it is a level or two down, but it is there. It is listed as the:

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego.

Tim
    Anaheim

6. Theatrix

Nov 26, 2001
    FYI -

Just a quick post that we will be doing the RL/501st annual charity Hospital visit during Comic Con. I will post more details as we firm things up. The event will be "CANON" (i.e. full authentic costume) both Rebel and Imperial.

Also on Saturday, we will be having both the 501st and the Rebel Legion "Mass Photos" in full costume.

Tim
    TK-1066
    501st Legion XO

7. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Thank you Theatrix! I did not notice that :D Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ok guys, the Hyatt is $172 per night. No comp breakfast. 2 blocks to the convention center, but it is on the same side of the street (it's right next to the Marriott). With the Clarion and Hilton, you'll have to wait for the traffic signal so you can cross :p And with Embassy Suites, you're looking at a longer walk.

Whichever one you guys would like is fine with me. I'm kinda partial to the Hyatt (stayed there the last two years). Like I said above, you don't have to wait to cross the street and it's right next door to the Marriott. Heck, there's even a shuttle stop right outside the Hyatt (I think ?[face_plain])

30-35 per night per person? Um, I don't think we'll be able to get anything that good very close to the convention center unless we can get 8 or more people into the room. Even the Clarion would work out to about $60 per person per night with 8 people.

8. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Thank you Tim! As for those that are a part of the RL and for those that get there costumes done in time and are approved by the SoCal RL CO please plan on attending the charity event as I have heard it is well worth it.

Also I look forward to the group pics! This year should be lots of fun!

9. Theatrix

Nov 26, 2001
    FYI -

The Hyatt is also the "Convention Hotel". It is where the con suite is for free soda/munchies 24/7. They also hold a lot of mini-events there.

Tim

10. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    ok...does anybody want me to see what kind of a discount i can get? working in the hotel business i should be able to get some kind of a deal. let me know

11. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    I would say yes. See what you can get. Then we can at least compare prices and pros and cons of each hotel.

12. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Thanks for the info Theatrix, I had totally forgotten about that (I don't ever use the con suite, so it's no wonder I can't remember it :p).

13. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Dang, I wish I was going to be able to go for all of the days, instead of just Saturday. :( But I can't take any vacation days yet, until I've been a permanent employee at my company for 12 months, and that won't happen until the end of Aug. (just in time for Dragon*Con :p :D ). Maybe next year! :)

14. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Yikes, $60 a night is a bit more than I thought.... Driving up everyday is starting to sound more promising (or staying at my uncle's).......

15. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Ya know what, I'm dumb :p The Hyatt would work out to $43 per night per person plus tax which would come out to $172 per person plus tax if only 4 people stay in the room. Don't know what I was thinking. Clarion would probably be even cheaper since it's only $124 per night. I'd prefer to stay at the Hyatt though.

And don't forget that with gas prices averaging $2.14 per gallon (yesterdays register) and wear and tear on your car and your body (driving up and back everyday is not fun), it would cost you more to drive up and back everyday. That is unless gas prices come down by then. It is still physically tiring though.

16. Theatrix

Nov 26, 2001
    FYI -

You might also consider that parking at the convention center can become NON-EXISTANT on Saturday/Sunday. Also, consider carpooling to the convention with some other folks and just leave the car in the hotel parking structure. The rates all over downtown are pretty steep, so splitting parking for 3 days brings it down a bit.

Tim

17. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    My opinion is load more than 4 people in a room. If anyone does want to carpool let me know. I have been planning on driving all 5 days, so please let me know if carpooling is an option for you as well.

18. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    As an additional note, I don't know how many of you plan to attend preview night, but I was planning on going this year. I'd like to be leaving OC by around 2 or 3, but I can leave earlier if necessary. I've never gone before, so I don't really know what traffic is like.

19. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Well I know myself and Don will have to be there for preview night as we will be at the table manning it. Anyone else going on preview night will need to help us out with that as well.

20. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Barry, $43 sounds better. :-D I also will join you on going to preview night (I hope you mean 2-3pm??). Also, I agree with Shawn that we should try and get more than 4 in one room (if we can). That way the price will go down even more for each of us.

21. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    I may be staying with you guys in the room. I will be talking to my wife about this, but it all depends on cost. She thinks it might be cheaper as well. So we will see.

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    If it helps, you can tell her that you'll be carpooling down with me. I think Britt and Don were already gonna go with me anyway and I can seat 4 other people, comfortably, besides me. I'd just have to ask for a few bucks cash for gas and parking and we'd be set.

Britt: Yes, I meant 2-3pm :) Of course, we can leave earlier. I plan to leave work around 12pm that Wednesday at the earliest. The worst that can happen is that we have to hang around in Downtown San Diego for a few hours before preview night starts. And there's plenty to do down there.

Don: How's the hotel search going? I don't mean to rush, but I'd like to book the hotel ASAP just to make sure we get it.

23. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Sounds good Barry! Thanks for taking the lead in all this planning!

24. SRB_Jedi_Knight

May 25, 2002
    Book the Hyatt 5th floor! Alot of 501st will be there! I will probably stay up there with you guys as well. Still working out the detail with my wife. =)

25. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Room booked! The guy said he could put in a request for the 5th floor, but there is not gaurantee we'll get it. I told him I was with OCFF before I knew to mention the 501st and RL. In any case, a room has been booked. We check in on the 16th and out on the 20th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.