main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Prompted by an abundance of various smaller threads, its been suggested that there should be an official Comics thread to save the trouble of the various other threads.

Thus all things comics go here.

Feel the need to talks comics. Feel free to post it here. Enjoy. [face_peace]

- Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderfan

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I've been out of the loop for quite some time now.
    The itch is still there, but I don't have extra money to keep dumping on them.

Any suggestions on starting a single title that doesn't require tons of crossovers and branches.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Damn, I think the last comics I bought were Shadows of the Empire.

4. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Buy all the back issues of alias. best.comic.ever

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I will miss coutney's little obscure threads on every comic book.

6. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Sadly my life as a student has forced me to fall behind, but I have recently discovered the possibility of Digital comics and torrents. Its great for filling in the gaps that can't read, until I can afford to buy the issues. Sadly they are a few weeks behind in updating the new stuff. But its wonderful for back issues.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [image=http://homerize.com/_framegrabs/5F02/fg_066.jpg]

But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds!

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, just recently got back into comics at the beginning of the year because of Marvel's "Civil War." Like many the reason I stopped collecting was because of school. At that time comics were only $1.50. I can't believe they've doubled in price since then. Now that I'm done with school and settled in my career I've been able to catch up on a few things. I had about 15 or so years to catch up on storylines. So in order to catch up, I've was reading Wikipedia, which lead me to Avengers Dissassembled, House of M, Planet Hulk, etc... I've been reading various titles, but the most entertaining this summer has been "World War Hulk." So far the Hulk as been able to beat down The 'Mighty' Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Iron Man. Seeing Tony Stark get his was awesome!

I'm not really a big DC fan, as I didn't buy any of their comics books while growing up, but I've been reading their "Countdown" and "Sinestro Corps." storylines. Pretty cool stuff.

I like the modern storylines. I feel the comic books have grown up with me. I mean, Marvel's "Civil War" and the Death of Captain America is a reflection of today's United States; as there is a fierce debate between civil liberties and need to tighten security that infringe on those liberties; the changing values and attitudes of the American Society. After reading the last issue of "The New Avengers" the storyline appears to go the same route as Battlestar Galactica, in that there maybe an infiltration by disguised aliens posing as humans plotting something big. Which mirrors the fears of terrorist sleeper cells.

It's expensive to keep up. I mean, just 10 comic books will cost $30. That's insane!

What's everyone else reading?

Or what was your favorite comic series? Or favorite comic book storyline?

My favorite storyline is (I know some people think it's a crime) "Batman: The Dark Knight." I read this as kid when it was released as individual comic books. I remember thinking how awesome the art and story was. I like the ideal of seeing Batman retired and the city of Gotham questioning his existence. Plus the story also destroyed the campy notion of "Super Friends" as it clearly demonstrated the stark contrast between Superman and Batman. The Dark Knight might has ruin comics for some, but to me and others it raised the bar of story telling by being unorthodox and innovative.

9. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    DCP is your friend... [face_whistling]

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Stephen Colberts' Tek Jansen #1 came out and it rocked.

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
  12. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Well I nerded out yesterday and bought $38 worth of comics.
    Gonna read them and decide what I want to continue with.

So far I've read the World War Hulk and thought it was very entertaining. But I passed on all the peripherals. Not sure if that was a good idea or not.

13. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Only $38? Must have been a light week. ;)

Sadly I can't afford to keep up to date on WWH, but I pray that Tony Stark gets put in his place. Though I would prefer it was by either a Resurected Cap or a Resurfaced Nick Fury but hey beggars can't be choosers.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    World War Hulk has actually done a really good job of making none the extra tie-ins necessary to the plot. Unlike Civil War which pretty much made you read AMS if you had any hope of following the story. Most of the WWH tie-ins are skippable but I've really enjoyed the X-Men issues. What's not to like seeing the Hulk go up against the X-Men's heavy hitters like Wolverine, Colossus, and Juggernaut?

15. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

I was pretty much going to say the same thing. The only peripherals might worth reading is World War Hulk: X-Men and The Incredible Hulk series. The Incredible Hulk series goes into the storyline of the humans that are trying to help the Hulk. And yes, seeing The Hulk crush the young and old X-Men alike was amazing. The Hulk beat down Wolverine like Micheal Vick would to a dog; just pounding his head against the ground several times until he went limp. Can't wait for the final issue to World War Hulk: X-Men.

World War Hulk #3 came out yesterday and that was intense.

Anyone reading the X-Men storyline, Endangered Species? The gist of the story is after The House of M storyline, the world's mutant population was reduced to only a few hundred and no more new mutants are being borned, due to a spell by the Scarlet Witch. Beast is trying to undue the magical spell with science. However, not even Reed Richards can figure a cure, so Beast seeks the help of villains like Mr. Sinister, Dr. Doom, etc.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    See I felt that ASM was the only stuff worth reading. I may be biased but Civil War rarely seemed to have much of a focus beyond "Oh crap the world is going to hell and they are blaming the heroes". I felt it was too broad and the only characters I could really attach to and care about were Spider-man and Captain America. They had the more compelling stories in the entire event IMO and of course are both ultimately different for having gone through it. I pray that all that doesn't get retconned since it would be such a huge slap in the face to all the torment that everyone went through.

Once again I am looking forward to watching the Jade Giant slap the Tin Toy around for a while. Stark needs to be taken down a peg or two.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Tony Stark has gotten his as you'd discover if you had an opportunity to read Iron Man #20. The entire "Civil War" saga made Tony Stark look like an @$$. In many ways, his decisions and actions are similar to Anakin Skywalker, in that, they think they have all the answers and move to a new world order; moreover, to be political, the current American Administration. However, I do understand Stark's point of view from reading "Road to Civil War." It was worth noting, Stark initially wasn't in favor of the "Registration Act" and tried convince the Congressional Committee not to implement such a law. But Stark has gone too far, and it was great to see the Hulk get some justice errrr um, revenge.

Personally, I liked the Civil War onto itself. I mean, the Fantastic Four was ripped apart because of the opinions it brought forth. Futhermore, it made Reed Richards look as much as an @$$ as Tony Stark, with cloning Thor and causing the death of Goliath.

19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've been getting the Star Wars: Legacy comics, they've been good so far. I'm tempted by the Star Wars: Dark Times comics as well, it's only just started so buying the back issues won't cost too much.

20. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    What's up with that Spider-man Family comic?
    I didn't pick it up, but I did see it's only up to issue2, so I'm thinking about it.

21. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Just the other day picked up some Countdown comics, Green Lantern and Dark Watch. All good reads.

22. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    I missed my comics last week, and have been having trouble getting there this week too. I dhope they're not sold out of the ones i want when I finally get there...

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Oh I understand his point of veiw as well. I know this entire arc intentionally made him the heel. Reed's perspective was adressed nicely in ASM as well. But because I understand them doesn't mean I agree with them. And I still see Stark's involvement as more then just standing up for the law as the government has deemed fair, it was a grab for power and oppurtunity as far as I am concerned. I am still not convinced that his initial opposition wasn't a ruse. Regardless thats all beside the point. He won and a lot of people have paid for it, accept him (though I am happy to hear thats since changed). I will have to take a look at Iron Man #20.

I still want to see Fury come back and put Stark in his place.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It was basically a new take on the old Spidey storylines. It was suppose to be a one-shot deal but sales were so good they decided to make it into a series. I haven't picked up or read any of these issues myself, so you if decide to pick it up let us know what you think.

I've been reading DC's Countdown and I can't say I'm really into it, but it's like reading episodes of Hereos. You get fragments of information and segments of characters movements/actions that you know is building to something, but you're not sure what. I like that it's a weekly series which keeps the momentum going unlike Marvel's Onslaught Reborn, which is only a 5 issue mini-series that's taking a year to complete.

Ya know what's interesting to note, the lastest Flash (Bart Allen) died and it really didn't generate any buzz. It's like having a tree fall in the forest and not making a sound because no one was there to hear it.

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Spider-man Family isn't really much of anything. I think people picked it up because they wanted to grab all of Back in Black thinking it was gonna be a bigger storyline than it was. Turns out it was only really addressed in Amazing with other stories just including the black costume. Family is just an oversized issue that features one newer story and a couple of reprints. Unless you really enjoy Spider-man stories its not something I would suggest spending money on.