main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    JTS, you make me seethe with impotent rage.

When I develop telekinetic powers and conquer the world you will rue this day.

BigAl6ft6 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Best of for who? For Batman, TLH would certainly be there, but for Joker? Not for me.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, these are are preview pages for a comic I am sorely tempted to add to my list. Oh, just one more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have fond memories of the various Predator / Alien crossovers from the 90s and I used to get Archie comic digests even earlier than that, so, hey, probably. Also Betty sobbing about her nose being broken kinda gave me a dark chuckle.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The only Archie comic I've ever read was the Punisher crossover from the 90s. But Archie vs Predator is something I may just have to check out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm only in if Jughead fills the Schwarzenegger role.

JoinTheSchwarz and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "There's something out there waiting for us and it ain't no man. We're all going to die." - Mr. Weatherbee.

Actually, aside from a few Indy / ROTJ / Star Wars random comics in the early to mid 80s, probably Archie comics were my first comic book "fix" because they used to sell the small digests at the grocery store. Then Archie comics got the TMNT cartoon show licence and it was all over from then on!

8. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    "Get to the chopper."

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Man, I need to dig out my old Batman vs. Predator, the very first crossover they did.

[​IMG]

That and the first Alien vs. Predator mini really set the gold standard for these things. Really badass.... can't think of any of the other ones that quite lived up to those two.

darth-sinister likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ah, the 90s, a time when you wouldn't be surprised to see a comic called Spawn vs The Terminator vs X-O Manowar vs WildCATS vs The Punisher vs Team X vs Alien vs Batman vs Wolverine vs Predator: Bloody Reckoning.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    And they all had pouches. So many pouches...

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Multiversity Asks "What if Hitler Raised Superman?"

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of Archie, they've confirmed that the last issue before that upcoming Waid/Staples reboot is... 666.

Chris Sims speculates that it's just a coincidence, but personally I think we can look forward to ARCH NEW DAY, wherein he will sell all his possible married futures* to Satan in exchange for saving Mr. Weatherbee from a bullet wound, causing the universe to reboot.

I'm not even sure if I'm joking because Archie Comics has kind of gone insane in the good way as of late.

*Yes, even the one where he hooked up with Valerie and didn't die from thwarting an assassination attempt.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I just don't know. I enjoyed "Archie Meets The Punisher" because it had a certain absurdness to it, but didn't disrespect either franchise. But trying to have an alien head hunter interacting with a bunch of clean cut American kids, where death is barely a thing, I don't know.

Frank T. likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, uh, the new preview IGN just threw up has made it pretty clear that this is much, much closer to the Afterlife with Archie end of the spectrum. [face_skull]

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, but it was fun. Despite the grim n gritty era, the 90's had fun with the comics. And say what you will about "DC Vs Marvel", it did give us this...

[​IMG]

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I love 90s comics, in part because I was born in 1990 and a ton of my formative experiences with comics were smack dab in the middle of it all. One my favourite Batman issues growing up had a cover by Kelley Jones which I thought was the coolest. The interior artist was some unknown, J.H. Williams III, and no one's ever heard of that guy again.

I also had one of the Spoiler's first appearances, which meant nothing to me until I was older. I had a random collection of amazing issues, including this great BTAS comic wherein Batman dresses like a bedouin and duels Ra's AGAIN then rides his horse after Ra's Learjet during take off and just barely misses grabbing the wing. It was amazing.

Plus the nineties had, y'know, continuity. How could they not? Crisis on Infinite Earths hadn't happened all that long ago and they were determined to build this world up. But simultaneously they could still these wild stories (Legends of the Dark Knight was supposed to be an "early years only" series but rapidly became an outlet for fringe stories before becoming just another title - they really lost track of the whole "early years only" bit fast) and still have it all work. Yes, it was dark and gritty, and there were some very goofy trends, but 90s comics at least went by the philosophy of "just throw things out there and see if they work."

Or maybe I'm just nostalgic :p

Point is, I read Knightfall and I get all giddy and happy because of how 90s it is. There were a lot of good comics then, and the decade gets beaten down a bit too much, IMO.

But Spawn is awful, I think we can all agree.

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'd give my left nut for The Walking Dead to go back to being great again.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The mainstream 90s were basically many people trying to repeat what very talented authors (Frank Miller and Alan Moore, mostly) had done but not having enough talent to pull it up, thus just copying the trappings of these seminal works. From Watchmen to Youngblood there's only one more Liefeld and one less Moore.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    hmmm late 80's early 90's good times. i loved the marvel acts of vengeance crossovers, and i don't mind admitting that when i first saw that alien v predator comic, i did a bit of wee

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

It's in one of it's various "slow burn" phases, mostly setting up the new status quo. I thought the run up to Negan's introduction was worth it and All Out War was pretty great (I think that'll work as a solid series finale for the TV series if they needed one. Probably only 3 seasons left in the show anyway, simply due to $). The introduction of "The Whisperers" I think is one of the coolest ideas Kirkman has had in awhile and they'll probably be a lot more of those folks. Only drawback now is the book has been very Carl-centric the past few issues. (I actually like TV Carl more than Comic Carl. Comic Carl is a bit of a psyhco, and not in a good way)

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    What an odd thing to say about a book that's been great for years. I've been really digging everything since All Out War. My only complaint is the unexplained absence of Michonne.

I don't think Carl is a psycho at all. He's pragmatic and a realist. This world is almost all he knows and he knows it better than most people.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Psycho" may be a bit harsh but the kid is real quick on the trigger finger, moreso than most. Hasn't really sat right with me since he killed off the crazy kid earlier in the run before they made it to Alexandria (which was translated to the "look at the flowers" moment on the TV show with Carol, which I thought played a bit more powerfully dramatically)

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Exact opposite with me. "Look at the flowers" is when I finally realized what hate-watching a show really meant.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahahah, fair enuf! Worked for me, though. The Carl-version of that scene in the comic didn't click for me, just kinda made me start to think Carl was a nut. TV Carol version of that scene had a tragic inevitability to it.