main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

I found All Out War incredibly tedious. It's not had a truly great issue since issue 100 for me. It's still okay, but it's got too stable, too safe and Rick feels neutered.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'ma thinkin when Rick gets back to the Ole Hilltop we'll see some full on Ricktatorship craziness. Assuming there's anything left of the Ole Hilltop, that is.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Currently I think Detective Comics under Manapul and Buccelato is pretty great. Reminds me of the 90s stuff I love.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Bought the first trade of Walt Simonsons Thor. Not big on Marvel much, never been to impressed with the resent selection. In fact, Claremonts X-Men has been the only thing that truely impressed me. That and the classic, 60's, stuff. Still, Thor is my favorite Marvel character next to Daredevil, so I had to jump into the most acclaimed run at some point. So far it's been great. Besides the good art, Simonson really nails the characters and the emotions.

Also bought BATMAN 39.

Much better than last issue. Loved the nod to the Batman 89 parade scene. Pluse Joker stealing Batmans toys is fun too. Really am wondering how this will end. Some stuff about his story is just wierd. Having it all be a dream seems odd. It's a good story, but it really comes off as one where Snyders trying to push back against the other half of the fanbase who criticise him(I'm included in those ranks). Almost as if he's trying to prove he can really take things far and change things. Mainly it all comes off as an attempt to make up for Death of the Family. People were expecting Alfred to die? He didn't, but he loses a hand in this story. Does he or does he not know Bruce is Batman? Snyder wasted our time in DOTF, he's pretty on the nose about it in this story. DOTF was a classic example of Stan Lee's illusion of change, but it seems here there might actually be lasting effects.

Was annoyed with the scene where Joker spots the red hood helmet and comments on Bruce keeping it. Snyder was doing good with reestablishing the multiple-choice origin, but then goes and has that small little panel that proves he believes he was the red hood. Which makes it even more confusing since the additional story goes out of it's way to add that perhaps Joker wasn't the red hood, and if fact it's still multiple choice. Whatever though. I'm happier about it here than I was in Zero Year. It's clear that they are atleast going with the multiple choice origin. Still a stupid scene to have if your gonna try to go the other route.

The scene with Alfred losing his hand was surprising, cool that Snyder took it that far, and wierd. Alfred loses a hand here to the Joker, is at his mercy, but that's all we get. All we get from the girl is that he's okay and that he shut the door on Joker. WTF? Is there more to that or is just another flub in storytelling by Snyder?

Good read though. If the ending is good, which will be interesting to see since Snyder isn't that good with endings, then I'd put this behind Black Mirror and Court of Owls.

So far it's been worth my time. Still think Snyders run is overrated.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Simonson's Thor is one of the great Marvel runs. I love it to bits.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Indeed, it's great stuff - I have the Omnibus!

9. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    So, if all of the Amazing Spider-Man issues for Spider-Verse had been as decent to good as the epilogue, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Finally, a satisfying multi-page fight and it's AFTER the event.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

I just read Uncanny X-Men #39 which wraps up the Original Sin tie-in.

[​IMG]

The cover has nothing to do with the contents inside, so this is a prime example to not judge a book by its cover.

Anyway, this is the final chapter of the Original Sin storyline in that the final reading of Xavier's Will and Testament is completed and although the storyline was kind of dragged out, I really enjoyed the last few issues as things got all kinds of crazy.

Cyclops and Magik are killed by a SHIELD missile attack. Emma Frost is killed because she was berating the most dangerous mutant ever, Matthew Malloy. Meanwhile, Eva travels back in time to bring Charles Xavier to the present time to help resolve this crisis to the amazement and excitement of the students of the New Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. Then, Storm freaks out over Malloy killing Emma and says something like there's no place for you here and she and the rest of the X-Men attack Matthew which leaves to their demise.

To prevent all this from happening, Charles and Eva travel back in time to the parent where Matthew's parents were going to meet for the first time and stop it from happening, sort of how Marty McFly prevented his parents from hooking up.

Then we get back to the reading of the Will of Charles which shows that everyone is still alive and Xavier's leaves everything to Scott. Scott then signs everything over to Storm under the condition she welcomes his students.

Eva tells Scott off in the best way possible.

Pretty crazy stuff went on towards the end of this story.
    [/SPOILER/

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it sounds bull-crap.

I've been here before with Mr 'I have a Plan' Bendis, except too often he doesn't even have parts of a plan, not even 11%!

Gave him a chance on X-Men, trusting that the arc should be good, it's looking like I shouldn't have. He's still class on Ultimate Spidey but that's about it.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Bendis said on his tumblr that the arc went long (duh) and that was the only cover for UXM that Marvel had ready to go. So it was either delay the issue while a new cover was drawn or go with a mismatched cover.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like that.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Bendis is a good writer, but he doesn't work well when he has to coordinate with events and crossovers because every other book's pace is... well, to put it nicely, less deliberate. He excels when he can do his own thing in his own corner.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    He was pretty good on Ultimate Spiderman, but anything else? Yeah, avoiding it. And considering how many events he has written (House of M, Secret Invasion, Siege and Age of Ultron, I think?), how can he not have a better pace by now?! Though he is writing a lot of stuff (two X-men series and Guardians of the Galaxy?) but they're probably going to shift him over to something else soon. Then again, most of those events were awful and light on content, but was never sure if that was due to Marvel or Bendis. Good thing I'm not much of an X-men fan, but was still surprised to hear about a tie-in ending 2 events late. Thank you for the summary/info, even if it sounds like a stupid arc.

Even if it sounds like it leads into more "Cyclops is stupid" moments. And instead it retcons one of Xavier's mistakes out of existence. Did they still find out about the whole Mystique marriage, I wonder (no matter how sudden that is too, even after Battle of the Atom.

Wonder what the comic was originally supposed to be about given that cover (Axis tie-in?). And they couldn't prepare another cover with how many months behind this tie-in is? Well, guess they're busy with their big multiversal event too.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    His work on Ultimate Spiderman remains consistently great. I could easily see Marvel keeping that going post-Secret Wars.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If post Secret Wars Bendis' "Ultimate Spider-Man" morphs into a "Spider-Men" monthly (because Miles and Pete will probably end up in the same universe by the end) I would be very okay with that.

Definitely going to get "Ultimate End" because it's Bendis and Bagley ending the Ultimate universe. For reals this time. None of this wishy-washy Cataclysm stuff.

Speaking of Spidey-stuff I still haven't seen an episode of "Ultimate Spider-Man" but they flat-out just did a Spider-verse episode arc so I should definitely check that out:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/u...-warriors-is-bringing-the-spider-verse-to-tv/

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You believe that? So trusting....

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    If the sales are low in for the Ultimate Comics line, I believe that.

I looking forward to seeing which Iceman survives. Probably get a new Wolverine to replace the 616 one too.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it'll end Ultimate "for reals" as in "no more Ultimate Comics" as the only book that sells anymore is USM anyway and, y'know, universe mash a-commin' (I don't think Miles Morales adventures are going to stop, but he is probably gonna be punted to 616).

Don't think it'll kill off the Ultimate Universe as in everybody's dead, probably get shunted away to live happily ever after with a choice amount of Ultimate characters cherry picked to the Marvel U. Like Ultimate Peter Parker and MJ are off roading happily ever after now, does their story and everyone else for the Ultimate U really gonna end with them blinking out of existence?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'd be okay with the one that ultimately becomes Ice Wizard Robert. :D

As far as Logan, looks like Old Man Logan might be around for awhile, if he survives the Battleworld business.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Daredevil. Alias. Powers. Scarlet. Jinx. And even his Dark Avengers was solid as a rock. As I said, he's great when he's out doing his thing. And I don't think he can change his pace, or that he even should: love it or hate it, his Mametian dialogue is the main reason for his popularity, and he needs space for that.

They actually said in a press release that they would be combining 616 and UU after Secret Wars.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's funny becaue I thought Catwoman being bi was already a thing, I've been reading her that way for years, but I guess it was only ever implyed that she was bi...anyways my head canon is real canon now so cool.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    My comment posted twice for some reason.....so um....Spider-Gwen #1 was cool, I liked the art a lot.

Frank T. and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  26. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I remain sceptical Schwarz, Marvel are like the football manager who swears blind player X ain't leaving, then a few days later.... Yeah, he's leaving.

As to Bendis, Scarlet I would have become interested in if it didn't disappear! Even sticking with Powers is a memory test! I second Daredevil and Alias and Powers as stories though.

Funny that some of us consider Ultimate to still be a line, it's practically been USM for the last couple of years with nothing else taking off. The reason I suspect they might not merge the two is if you transfer Miles to normal Marvel he's likely to get subsumed into the morass of characters already there, so end up buried. Keep him in the Ultimateverse? Avoids that. I don't think any other book would be wanted though, just USM. That and, for me, universal / global armageddon is a crap ending, as are the attempts at post-apocalyptic recovery. (Authority, despite DnA's best efforts).