main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015
    LOL - yeah, Marvel like to slap together the OHCs fast and then take 8-12 months to release the trades. Some of the Hickman Marvel stuff will be worth waiting for and certainly a much more entertaining read (or is that Reed :p) collected.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I get everything in trade these days but Hickman's stuff really benefits from reading in a big block!

Darth-Lando likes this.
  3. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015
    ^ Yes, these days Jonathan's work reads much better collected. A lot of great ideas and little things that seem to pop out when read in one go.

For me, I am finding most comics read better collected these days. That won't stop me from reading one or two as they unfurl though.

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's a constant connundrum. Without people buying issues as they are released then there is a harder case to be made for a series to continue. But often many stories read better (and are better to keep and display on a shelf) as collected TPBs.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Image are known for keeping some series in trade because of the sales in that format, think Age of Bronze is one of them.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Yes, it is an issue. (Sorry.) But with comic prices now circling $4.99 per issue, it's becoming a lot easier to wait. If comics were still $2.99 or less I'd consider trying a lot more. But with little interesting me and that obnoxious price point, it's become very easy to trade wait.

I give Image props in trying to tow the line price-wise and risking all kinds of out there ideas, but ultimately there is nothing there which is sticking.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Bought the Hulk: the end collection from comixology. Good call. Great read. Both stories were excellent.

Might start reading preacher soon

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Also worth picking up with the Hulk is this novel by Peter David.

[​IMG]

Back in the mid 90's, David wrote this novel that built off of his run and used the story arc, "Ghosts Of The Future" as a jumping of point of a different storyline from what he wound up writing in the monthly series. Both "What Savage Beast" and "Ghosts Of The Future" came out at around the same time and featured a similar start, but went into different directions. Features artwork by George Perez.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Just pre-ordered the latest Robert E. Howard Savage Sword anthology from Dark Horse. Can't go wrong with Ostrander, Laming and Solomon Kane (sadly each creator is working on something other than Kane this issue but it's good to see them all.)

First week of April will be pretty darn good for me with another new comic shipment arriving.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "I AM THE FUTURE!"
    "No, you're history."

I love me some Future Imperfect, the ending is damn near perfect. Why is that not a movie in the MCU pipeline? (Oh, the damn near perfect ending wouldn't work in the MCU Hulk origin. Rats.) It'd give Mark Ruffalo mucho juicy drama to chew on, though.

Maestro watch! He's in Spider-Man 2099 and there's a Future Imperfect Secret Wars series coming out! Greg Land on the art but I really liked his Ultimate Fantastic Four run so maybe he can bring it. But since PAD is writing Maestro, I'd read stick figures.

Hulk: The End is, surprisingly, even darker cuz all that's left is Hulk and Banner and THAT'S it. Very engrossing read, though. I loved the space alien dude's line "We just want to make sure you're all dead."

Also The End has this bit of genius

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also awesome, makes for a great post-script to Future Imperfect.

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There's nothing to be sorry about, it's a problem that I struggle with too. I buy what I can as single issues (all digitally now as there's just no space for me to store comics anymore), but as I already have 3 bookshelves dedicated to TPBs/HCs/etc. I always want to keep the good stories together there also. So the things I can't wait for, I'll buy as they come out and then the rest I wait for TPB (or obtain through other means).

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Granted I've got most of what I have shoved into a big white box (not the long boxes of yore.) But I hear you. I constantly nip and tuck as far as what I"m keeping. I do wish comics were cheaper digitally too (Image has the right idea of cutting the digital price as time goes on.)

I'm attempting to stop all but 1 American title as of May until the dust settles on whatever happens with Marvel post Battleworld. The only digital for me is 2000 AD ( ironically it's cheaper to buy a 3 month digital subscription and the collected hard cover, rather than buying the monthly print bundles and the collected hard cover.) Eventually they will be making their iOS / Android app purchases available to users through their web portal and vice versa. I hope it's sooner rather than later. My peepers are not liking having to read Slaine etc. on an iPhone (no iPads / tablets for me.)

Now books, I have to stop wasting money and space on those (grumbles - and how much did you spend them last night?)

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Legitimate concern for The Atom in an increasingly wireless world:

[​IMG]

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Saves me money. Thanks Marvel.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Any idea how much it'd cost to get every single issue (spinoffs included) of this reboot that's not a reboot?

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I cannot seem to find an up-to-date Secret Wars / Battleworld checklist, but you're looking at a lot of money either way. Unless you do Marvel Unlimited and wait six months. But I'm sure someone else here will post.

I bought 1 issue and that's it for me. I'm holding off on any more Marvel until the dust clears for this event.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Consdering X-Factor has ended, Amazing Spider-Man is still going on (with the "renew your vows" arc instead), Ultimate Spider-Man is ending (but getting "Ultimate End"), Spidey 2099 is ending (but getting Secret War 2099), adding Future Imperfect (which basically takes the X-Factor spot) and the main Secret Wars mini. So really only adding, like, 1 miniseries to my pull list when it's all said and done.

I loved the original run of Runaways and this new book just... doesn't look like it'll do it for me, let's put that nicely.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Why?

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm turning into a Humanoids fanboy.
    Just rated the e-version of The Alliance of the Curious. Great, fun little read mixing adventure, archeology and history.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    If there is anything that could deflate my excitement for the new Future Imperfect, it's Greg Land.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You mean you aren't looking forward to the Maestro's angry traced O-face?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Let's just say All New Marvel is not for this woman and leave it at that. And with their ridiculous price points it makes it even easier to ignore.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I can't wait. The guessing game of what Land traced this time will be fun too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I miss CrossGen Land :(

Dingo likes this.