main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

ah, I actually really liked his Ultimate Fantastic Four run. Sure there may have been "tracing" in it but I thought it worked really well and did something dynamic. Haven't seen much since then, dunno if it's gotten worse.

Anyway, there isn't a lot of Maestro reference materiel out there so if he's basically just ripping off George Perez every other page, I think I can deal.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    So, Hinkman is really going all out with the story he is telling. Did not expect that ending to New Avengers.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It was glorious. I wonder what the tree's significance is going to end up being.

These last issues are like a roller coaster.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Happy dance, found 3 more Nikolai Dante trades used for less than the in print trades are (3 for $23 total), most of the remaining trades are $25 a piece (Bojemoi!) I will probably have to buy a few digital, unless 2000 AD reprint them again... but I'd prefer print. Simon Fraser's art really works better for me on the printed page.

Glad to hear New Avengers is utterly bug nuts. I like Doctor Strange and Namor, so I'll keep tabs of what happens to them after this whole Secret Wars thingy.

Looks like I'll drop Tower Chronicles Dreadstalker after May: the modern stuff is not working and Bisley's art is very sloppy for him. I do like the flashbacks for Tower, but it's not enough to hold on. Subsequent rereads have been disappointing. If the character was kept in the past, I'd be very interested but... oh well.

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    TrandoJedi, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Waid's a good writer. Glad the team will be written well even if I do not like some of the characters.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So far, the US reprints are only up to volume 3, no idea if it'll ever make it the rest of the way.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I like the lineup they have revealed for it, a good mix of heroes and it looks like harkening back to the make up of teams from the past.

Something else that came up from Axel Alonso is that the X-franchise is being reshaped and pushed forward after Secret Wars. Given the phrasing that he used, and similar phrasing Remender used when hinting at his post-Secret Wars work I think that he will be involved in this. As a long-time X-Men fan, I don't mind there being a shake up if it is a case of moving past the paradigm of "Xavier's Dream" which they keep circling back to as a default.

JoinTheSchwarz and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    X-Men is about change. That's one of its main strengths. You can twist the franchise around as much as you want, and it keeps being relevant.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Ah okay. More digging I suppose. Thank you very much for the information.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I see Miles right on the front = Miles definitely moving house to the new Marvel Universe. Which, since I think Bendis is never going to ever stop writing "Ultimate Spider-Man", that may mean a Miles in the new Marvel Universe book - probably still titled "Ultimate Spider-Man" or even a Spider-Men book.[face_dancing] (ain't no way Miles is gonna replace Peter Parker, especially when the MCU just got him back.)

But I do think that does also signify that for any current or past "Ultimate" line fans, yes, "Ultimate End" is actually for-realies this time. Which is kinda a good idea by now. It's legacy lives on in the MCU which takes a lot of visual reference from it. And Miles is in the Marvel comics Avengers now too. So it definitely left an impact.

Also, complete speculation, I get the feeling "Nick Fury Jr." is gonna get the boot in Secret Wars and the Marvel Universe Nick Fury will also be an "Ultimate" transplant. OG Nick Fury? Eh.... who knows? By this point, Ultimate / SLJ Fury is the face of that character anyway.

Ultimate Loose End - What about Mysterio?! (the reveal in Spider-Men that Ultimate Mysterio was basically a 616 Mysterio Avatar I thought was awesome but Mysterio, as of this moment, is still stuck in the Ultimate verse!) Of course, Quintin Beck blew his head off in Daredevil and came back from that too. With no explanation. He is Mysterio, after all.

(random aside: I want to see Kevin Smith's Daredevil run on screen with Mysterio. Has a hellova ending, at least. With a bang.)

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ If Marvel sticks with a Nick Fury it will probably be the Ultimates, especially after the awful send off of the original Nick in Original Sin...

Oh, me. So much for not continuing with Rasputin or Tower Chronicles. I just pre-ordered both... [face_sigh] Sometimes my impetuousness trips me up.

Rasputin, might as well give it a try, despite how stupid this second arc sounds. And Tower? To quit 2 issues before it ends kind of defeats the purpose.

14. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015
    Yay! (or should I say Zarjaz?!?) Just found out Rebellion did indeed sync my digital accounts between the iOS and their website so now I've downloaded all the 2000 AD progs and graphic novels I've purchased on my phone. It'll be nice to read this stuff at almost actual size.

And in Marvel news, Hickman is posting some of work on his twitter.

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Speaking of Hickman, I saw that Thor / Hyperion New Avengers art from 32 and said mine. And subsequently ordered several back issues along with 33. I suppose I could have just gone with 27 and 32 for my Thor fix*, but hopefully I'll enjoy the other character bits too.

*When Hickman comes back to Marvel, I hope he'll continue to write the original Thor because these few moments have been wonderful.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'd love to see Hickman write a pure Asgardian ongoing. Thor, Loki, Sif, Heimdall, the Warriors Three, you can even throw Angela in there. If they can have three solo books, surely we can have an ongoing Asgardian "team" book. Call if "Journey into Asgard" or "The Mysterious Asgardians" or something.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Agree 100%. With Hickman's knowledge and use of mythology and his talent with Thor, I would enjoy him writing that book. No reason why there could not be two Asgardian titles; your idea and Aaron's Ms. Thor (which I dropped like a stone when he got preachy.)

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Considering DC is responsible for more of the horrible misogyny that have evolved as tropes -- such as "fridging" (the original) and the original The Killing Joke (which, full disclosure, I still love) -- I can't really disagree that, especially with Batgirl the handling has not been great in the past. I suspect this is just an over-the-top reaction to the latest alterna-cover issue with the Joker and Batgirl:

[​IMG]

Now, having said that -- do remember that the theory is that Marvel isn't including Janet van Dyne in the upcoming Ant-Man film solely to avoid the issue from the comics where Hank hits her even though this is a far less egregiously misogynistic issue than the debacle with Carol Danvers. So I think it;s just a matter of DC making a "tonal mistake" in a variant cover -- on top of the trans issues with the recent villain (again, full disclosure: I only know internet outrage, I don't read the book) -- rather than anything nefarious in the current term. I put it up there with the Spider-Woman cover brouhaha (what, in reality, did they expect asking that artist to make a cover?).

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    About to read the first Birthright trade. And then Tower Chronicles (the page I was wondering about finally showed up in this issue.) Sadly the first issue of Bunn's Moon Knight was not to my liking.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, in the Batgirl cover case, my understanding was the artist asked for it to be removed after criticism (claiming he now understood the issues better?) and in the Marvel Spider-Woman case... they hired a known erotica artist who then produced something that featured a shapely buttock.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Batgirl cover was more of a two-fold withdrawal - the folks working on the book didn't think it matched the tone of their run and weren't informed of the cover until it debuted, and then Rafael Albuquerque requested it be pulled after people who complained about the cover on Twitter were targeted by the usual suspects. After that it also came out that Albuquerque had been pressured by editorial (The same editorial that saw no need to run this variant by the staff of the book in question) into making the cover more extreme.

Really the whole thing stands out as a case study of a few of the editorial problems that seem to be dogging DC.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Birthright is fantastic. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but very well done. I'll stick with it for as long as I enjoy it and as long as real life allows.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.