main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fairly certain Waid taking over Avengers has been confirmed? He and Asrar are doing a FCBD book ahead of their run proper, unless that's changed?

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Oh it is confirmed? I didn't know it was confirmed beyond the FCBD issue, if that's the case OH YES I'm ready. After Secret Wars (which I'm going to try to get every tie-in of, the only time I've ever attempted this) I was going to be dropping all Marvel titles minus the Spider-Man and Star Wars family of titles but a Waid Avengers book I definitely would think be worth it to get the floppies.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it is, could be wrong.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is no release date for Low #7. :mad:

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

The stuff is quite good, but I cannot connect with his original characters yet. For his work, I prefer the licensed characters and the new characters he creates in that sphere. But then I am also like that with Ed Brubaker (the Brubaker exception being Velvet what little I read) and Jason Aaron. These guys have some fantastic ideas and are excellent writers, but I prefer their licensed character work. [face_dunno]

I bet Hickman could create an insane Star Wars comic and I hope he comes back to Marvel to do just that.

>>>

Isn't Low an Image comic? A lot of them take time off for months to allow the artists to catch up.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Just finished the second Volume of Simonsons Thor. Good, but for some reason Simonsons action scenes do nothing for me. Storytelling is good.

Taking a break from Thor to jump into Millers DareDevil run. Bought "Man without Fear."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Talking of Brubaker if you've never read any of his work with Sean Phillips, I'd say you're missing out on some great stories.

Frank T. likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

I have: not into crime, noir all that much. The relaunch of Criminal was fun because it swerved into Sword and Sorcery and so I could understand it. Fatale was almost there, but ultimately fell flat for me. Bru's writing a much more compelling lead in Velvet.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I suggest you give Sleeper a try, it's superpowers meets espionage.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Future's End is the worst series I've ever seen.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I read Sleeper when it was published, that was good.

Anyway, I'll have to be patient to read Birthright 6 etc. Next batch of comics won't ship until 3 weeks from now.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Can anyone tell me if the DC series, Batman Gotham Knights is worth reading? It contains 74 issues and came out back in 2000 and went to 2006.

13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends on what you're looking for? Are you just wanting a big stack of Batman stories?

14. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Looking for great stories mainly, whether they are in single issues or in archs. Or would I be better off starting with the New 52 by Scott Snyder?

15. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    What Batman have you already read?

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't read GK, but it was a mixed bag from what I've heard. The one arc that I know was not popular was "Hush Returns", which was really raked over the coals.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  17. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I've read most of the classics like Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory & The Killing Joke.

18. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Then I'd just try a bite of whatever Batman you have the opportunity to get your hands or eyes on. You've already covered the modern classics. I like Morrison's run the best of everything else. if you like Snyder then he also had a run on Detective right before New 52.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I've got 4 volumes of Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison too.

20. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    You could go forwards or backwards or both from there.

21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I might go forward then into the New 52 and skip over Gotham Knights. Cheers guys.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Hickman announced that S.H.I.E.L.D. 5 and 6 will finally be published in September. Yay.

I just rediscovered I had his and Esad's Ultimates run too and found a nice little link to recent New Avengers. Ah, Ultimate Reed Richards...such a nasty person.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Reports are saying that Herb Trimpe has passed away. :(

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ R.I.P. Mr. Trimpe... :(

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That is very sad news about Herb Trimpe....one of the best Hulk artists without question and I kind of forgot about just how much other stuff of his I've read. RIP.