main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I only had the trade of Goddamn Batman but I liked it in spurts. Actually the recent reveal of Jared Letto's Joker from Suicide Squad seems to be influenced by that and also the DKR Batman (Which are the same guy, no matter how disparate the characterization seems between "All Star" and "Dark Knight"). Basically, we're gonna see a whole lotta Miller influence on the DC flicks a-commin up, which I'm down for.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It starts off this insanely over-the-top grim, so much so it's wacky. But then, at #9, the issue with Green Lantern it suddenly takes a serious turn that really works. Which is why it's a shame it remains unfinished.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Green Lantern issue is pretty great, it's funny and dramatic all at once, I think it perfectly captures the late-era Miller when it clicks (crazy, over the top, but it can turn on a dime). Issue #10 was the sole issue released after that and wasn't included in the trade so I dunno where it went from there, aside from there was a printing error when you could see Batgirl swear.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    re: #10 - They introduced a quite creepy Joker.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    FCBD image of Secret Wars universal punch-up:

[​IMG]

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hickman confirmed it would be out in September on twitter though. Well, whatever.

This CBR article about Battleworlds makes me happy I'm only in for one book. Where Marvel goes post Jonathan Hickman :( is what I want to know.

8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    :oops:Me, pre-ordering 2 copies of Avengers 44. Well, it's a little more money in Kev Walker's pockets but still. :rolleyes:

The spoilers sound kind of meh (in other words characters I am not interested in which is a huge reason why I did not follow the series), but I'll see once I have these in hand next week. The one thing I'm taking away from this so far I am already missing the Multiverse Avengers a lot. I really liked that entire team.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And it's done, now there's nothing left but Secret Wars. I have a feeling I'm going to need to read New Avengers 33 again and possibly go back through the run to fully wrap my head around all the pieces that Hickman laid out.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I've read Hickman's Avengers so far as:

Act 1: Avengers Vols 1-3, New Avengers Vol 1, Infinity.

Act 2: Avengers Vols 5-6, New Avengers Vols 3-4 - currently waiting on NA Vol 4 TPB so I can read this block.

Act 3: Time Runs Out Vols 1-4, Secret Wars - have TRO1-2, just need 3-4 plus Secret Wars.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I wonder what his feet look like.

I've read 33 three times now and I still can't tell you what happens in the final pages.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  13. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    My biggest issue with Liefeld's pic above is that it has the star almost centred on Cap's left nipple rather than the middle of his chest.

I think I have the order of events right, but I feel that there's something missing in how the related what's happening with Molecule Man to the incursions. Just one or two more links between those events would make sense, as I have everything else fairly straight from Priests and Swans down the line of multiversal players, but that initial attempt at sabotaging the Beyonders' plans is where I'm falling short.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Thanks for warning about New Avengers, :( sounds like this will be stretched out for Secret Wars. :rolleyes:

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Steroids aren't used in bodybuilding anymore. Or any less.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Bought Batman 40. Interesting story, with some nice ideas, but doesn't pack the emotional punch that you'd expect.

the batman vs joker fight was nice and bloody. The art was good, but snyder still doesn't hit the endings all that well. Granted this is a big ending, but it seems he missed some of Beats he was going for. Like batmans, "I think I'm gonna rest a while next to my friend." Great scene, but it's not set up in such a way to have the impact that's intended. This was a joker and batman hate each other story, not a "we are truely just different sides of the same coin story. We're just alike."

I don't know. IMO this whole story didn't come entirely from a creative perspective, but more as snyder wanting to prove something because of how DOTF was recieved. So he went out of his way to do all these big things, but they didn't have the storytelling impact that, I think, they should have. He just wanted to prove to people he could change up things big and do dark epic things to these characters. Alfred losing his hand last issue happened and then was forgotten about the next page.

I swear this story is slightly inspired by a web comic that was out around the same time DOTF ended. In it batman and joker have their final battle on a blimp. Gordon is shown dead from multiple gun wounds. Batman opens a joker gift that has Alfred's body parts in it. And joker and batman fall to their deaths holding each other's hands with the same we're best friends vide. The same story bits are, to a lesser extreme, are pretty much in end game.

Anyway, not a bad story overall. Best since court of owls. Still, I'll be glad when snyders run is up next year. Tired of all these attempted epics.

Getting a feeling that Sean Murphy is going to take over for Capullo. Don't know who's gonna take snyders place. Would love for Garth Ennis to get a run even if it's a small one.

TrandoJedi and cubman987 like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tales of Honor FCBD cover, damn, that's nice work from Linda Sejic:

[​IMG]

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh, Hickman. I edited the one word because I am not sure if that's language or not. Geez, I'm going to miss his writing, but also his often funny Marvel snark on twitter.

Like this:

[​IMG]
    Jonathan HickmanVerified account@JHickman

What kind of a-- kills the Avengers comics right before the movie comes out?

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Your review pretty much captures my thoughts on this issue and story perfectly.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Free Comic Book Day again. I've got Dragon's Lair with 15 free comics, five from the companies and ten of their own stock. 20% off there and at Krypton. Legend has 50% back issues and 30% off trades. Plus, they're holding raffles to win the first appearances of the Punisher, Kingpin, Ultron and Thanos. Half-Price Books is doing their May The Fourth trivia contests and get a free comic with your purchase.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I couldn't go to my LCS today. :(

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Holy crap, what a day! Fifty-six comics all told. I was even able to get the first two issues of the Marvel Comics "Transformers" series for free, from the free short boxes at Dragon's Lair. Granted, they're well used, but they were in good enough shape that I couldn't pass it up. Those two suckers are expensive when you buy them in mint or near mint condition. Even fine condition. And I got'em for nothing. Course, when I went to Half-Price Books, the girl at the counter went to give me a free comic and she pulled out another copy of the first issue of the Marvel series. I politely declined and got X-Force #22, volume one.

Also at the Legend event, there were people dressed up as either DC characters or "Star Wars". DC was represented by a Nolan Batman, a Red Hood/Jason Todd and Zatanna. SW was represented by Darth Vader, Darth Sion, a Snowtrooper, a TIE pilot, a Gammorean guard and Garindan. The Snowtrooper and the TIE pilot were both females, which shows diversity. These were people who pose for pictures with customers. There was a kid dressed as a Mandalorian, but not one I recognize and a woman dressed as Han Solo. Both were in the customer department.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ That sounds like fun. I couldn't attend today, but I might try to snag Secret Wars 0 with my LCS' online free comic book day on Monday. I heard that
    Thor and Hyperion survived!!!!

so I want to try and snag a copy of that. I so wish Marvel would do a series with those two characters.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    To keep with Star Wars Day, comicbookresources.com posted a bunch of Star Wars comic easter eggs (which I am sure a lot of folks here know but...)

and I managed to get a copy of Secret Wars 0 this morning (along with a few other comics I'll probably give away.) It'll probably arrive right before I receive Secret Wars 1, which is just fine.