main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Never. Making hard decisions is a big part of Spider-Man.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The problem is that it was total crap, especially when Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 did a great story where Peter was able to communicate with May and she told him to let her go. To turn around accept what Mephisto had to offer was a giant middle finger to the readers.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    To some readers, thanks.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I'm fine with One More Day as awkward as this is:

[​IMG]

And, boy howdy, is that ever awkward, I do like that Pete and MJ had to made a tough decision to save Aunt May. The final thing they can do as a married couple is give that up to save someone they love. At least we get alt-universe Secret Wars Peter Parker with MJ and a kid for a few issues. Which does increase the tragedy. And I do think, overall, single / dating Peter Parker is a better way for Spider-Man to roll than Married for decades Peter Parker.

Speaking of Secret Wars, I dug Ultimate End #1 even if it was a bit talky but I enjoy seeing the Ultimate and 616 Marvel characters barking at each other. (The flip from the ALL CAPS 616 characters to the Typecase Ultimate characters is a good way to keep them straight, however when you place it side by side it kinda looks like the Ultimate characters are whispering).

However, I think I have already detected a continuity oddity - from reading Secret Wars #2, it seems no one remembers their "other life", only the ones they've had in the Doom-verse. It's always been that way. However, reading "Ultimate End", the characters seem to know what we know - they have distinct, separate lives before this, and one day their universes mashed up together. At least in New York. But we also know Peter Parker is married and has a kid! But both "Ultimate" and "616" characters seem to not have had their memories / existences changed.

Like I said, slight continuity plothole that I'm personally stumbling over. Yes, I know it's Bendis and yes, I know it doesn't matter because I liked the comic but it is a thing.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was a stupid way to achieve the retcon but the merits of the actual retcon are something you can definitely discuss, quite unlike New 52 Lois.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was so upset of what happened at the end of One More Day that I stopped reading Amazing Spider-man for about two or three years. OMIT (One Moment In Time) brought me back to the series, even though I felt that Joe Quesada was giving a big Frakk U to the fans of MJ's and Peter's marriage.

As for the New52 Lois, I feel DC didn't know how to make the character relevant as she was no longer Superman's love interest and so they did what they did. In a way, it makes sense as Clark is just some guy at the office that's probably kind of creepy as he's a loner.

[​IMG]

As for Ultimate End, yeah, I thought it was weird that the characters featured were the only ones that knew the worlds have merged. It's something that better be explained, as mentioned above, no body else on Battleworld remembers a different life. I did enjoy Spider-Man freaking out about his secret being revealed.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, that was weird. I'm giving them the benefit of doubt, because we still don't know exactly how Battleworld was created. It could be that someone has merely altered the memories of survivors, or they could all be new creatures created out of nothing in Battleworld by God Doom, the Beyonders, or whoever.

I mean... Battleworld is basically the Ravenloft demiplane, from the old D&D setting. Down to the existence of domains and lords of each domain.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Bearing in mind that there are many devils in the MU: Mephisto, Satanish, Dormamu, etc, do you think Peter shopped around to get the best deal? It's a competitive market, I'd be expecting a really good package or I'd be taking my soul elsewhere.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I had a discussion with a friend of mine yesterday about Ultimate End, where I felt the heroes knew that Doom was responsible for Battleworld. He, on the other hand, didn't come away from the book feeling that way. He felt that the heroes only knew that their worlds had merged and don't believe Doom has a hand in it. Neither team of heroes have a Thor on them.

Read a slight spoiler that Silver Surfer will play a huge factor in this story.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, I got master of Kung Fu #1 and despite my kinda-wish that Shang Chi becomes Iron Fist I did not actually know this issue would involve Shang Chi in Kun Lun. It appears that Fu Manchu rules Kun Lun and and Iron Fist...Rand?...is his right hand.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Also, that scene with Stark and Cho looking at Mysterio's dimensional breach, that was verbatim what happened at the conclusion of the Spider-Men 616/UM crossover, the only difference being that the breach didn't merge both worlds together, of course.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I thought Ultimate End was terrible, mainly because I was so confused at what the heck was going on. Will be picking up the later issues to understand it all!

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I've read Secret Wars #1 & #2, the SW FCBD mini, every damn issue of Ultimate Spider-Man ever published and a significant chunk of the Ultimate line overall and even I was still confused at points reading Ultimate End. But, hey, it's Bagley and Bendis doin stuff!

Miles is off on Reed's liferaft isn't he? So he'll probably make a return. And I guess Ultimate Peter Parker and MJ just were erased from existence? (He is alive, came back awhile ago and drove off into the sunset with MJ). Because the Spidey in Ultimate End is 616, clearly. Unless he's a merger of Ultimate and 616 Peter but I kinda doubt it.

Ohhhh yeah, way back in Spider-Verse Peter ran into what was (probably) Secret Wars Peter Parker but I think he was rockin the black outfit! So SW Spider-Man is a "new" guy, yes? I guess?

I think being confused by Secret Wars may be an ongoing theme. As long as the comics are good reads, I don't need everything explained. That's how you get midicholrians, people!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    But 616 Spider-Man was in Valeria's raft as well. So that can't be him...

As I said, we don't really know what Battleworld actually is. For all we know, it might be the real Beyonder experiment, some kind of simulation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hmmm, I thought Battleworld was explained as the remaining fragments of many universes, and Doom combined them into one land mass. At least I understand why the Agamotto realm was not made into a series now.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Nope, the series itself doesn't explain a thing. Just that it is an artificial world. Why would there be universe fragments, for a start? That's not how incursions were defined. We don't know what happened between Doom, Owen, Strange and the Beyonders. Hickman is no doubt going to explain it in the main series, but for now things make little sense. Not that I'm complaining, though...

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I dunno, it makes sense to me and I'm not really vested in the whole thing. :confused: I seem to remember the one fragment that Thor and Hyperion were standing on after Nightmask, Ex Nhili, Starbrand (? always forget his name) and Abyss perished upon.

I am beginning to suspect that from the battles fought with the Beyonders throughout the multiverses a small portion of each dominion / kingdom survives.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    There's also that battle where fragments of Eternity fell on several worlds. Or the worlds that suddenly disappeared when Doom battled the Beyonders. Owen Reece creating Cosmic Cubes. Or even the rogue planet, why not. Hickman has been seeding many different plausible ways Battleworld could have come from, probably on purpose.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Many had cited that it would have been better if it was Loki, since he owed Peter one from way back early in JMS's run and he's known for his screwjobs. Mephisto wanting the marriage doesn't even fit his usual M.O. when it comes to making demonic deals.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Argh, yeah, Loki would have worked much better. They went with Mephisto because he was the more demonic looking one, I guess...

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_sigh] That Mad Max Fury Road Nux Immortan Joe issue was a waste of money. Too few pages for waaaay too much $ and not at all interesting to me. (Wow that sounds like most Marvel / DC books for me anyway.) Grateful I did not order the subsequent issues. This is the third film property comic that's been a crash & burn for me recently. If I was a bigger fan of Robocop I'd still be reading. Robocop delivers on all fronts and feels like an extension of the original universe, but it's really not my thing.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Dropping everything except Masters of Kung Fu, simply I'd rather put my money into other things I enjoy. As much I dig what Hickman is doing, it's not enough for me to stick around through October.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    great write up on origins - beginning and end - of the Ultimate-verse, and how it has a significant impact on Marvel (which was just coming out of bankruptcy) and the MCU and comics as a whole:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/secret-history-of-ultimate-marvel.html

"It's a story of desperate ambition, shocking triumph, and fevered imagination. But it's also a cautionary tale: one about pushing limits too far, holding on too long, and learning to accept the forces of entropy. Here, then, is the tale of Ultimate Marvel, one of entertainment's greatest reboots — but also living proof that all reboots can become victims of their own success."

[​IMG]

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    lol

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, that is shocking that Loeb is that annoyed / refuses to talk about Ultimatum almost 10 years later. But the way the piece is written, it basically says the universe never recovered from Loeb's work. Hell, aside from Ultimate X (Which is a good read), all he did was Ultimatium / Ultimates 3.

As an Ultimate universe fan, I actually don't entirely hate Ultimatium. Yes, it basically killed the line but the way I view it is, the Ultimate universe is a big, gigantic, sprawling "What If..." issue. Every other "what if..." issue or so, they have a giant everybody dies type of issue. That happened in the Ultimate verse and it basically stuck. But, yeah, the way people are killed off in that bit... boy howdy is that needlessly gruesome.