main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There's nothing like having one of your top authors create a detailed, complex and beautiful structure for your fictional universe, just to dump it two months later because you are moving to the West coast and you gotta do something in the meantime.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Secret Wars #4 delayed two weeks, Takes other Tie-In Issues With it.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Most def. some revelation in the SW mini will have a knock-on effect on the other books. Haven't they been working on Secret Wars for a year? I remember there's a quote from Millar where he said by making the crossover he had to basically check every other book in the crossover too which was hectic.

Unrelated but amusing (are there ads happening in middle of panel pages now? haven't seen any yet but maybe just DC, not a big DC fella)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/31/what-if-frank-millers-dark-knight-was-published-next-week/

What If Frank Miller's Dark Knight Was Published Next Week?Would it have looked like this?

[​IMG]

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So, I'll mention it now, but this past weekend we did another Comic Con in my area. This one appears to have been more successful, as far as I can tell. There were more famous faces this time around with Mick Foley, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Jamie Bamber and Walter Koeing to name a few. There were other booths set up as well, including a booth dedicated to the 60's Batman and having the option to take your picture, making it look like you're scaling a wall.

http://www.omaha.com/go/organizer-o...cle_8f63b50a-4c71-52a1-bef9-c099c6bc903c.html

There was also a workshop on how to repair your cosplay costumes and one from a veteran cosplayer. In terms of comic dealers, only three were present and two of them were local. But only one was doing back issues. They had three boxes dedicated to vintage comics, many of them Silver and Bronze Age Comics. All of which were 50% off what was listed on the bag and board. One box which had kids comics like "Adventure Time" and then the rest of the box was dedicated to "Star Wars". The rest of the boxes were dollar comics from the 80's on, though they did have a run of the Hulk that stretched back to the late 70's. If it had been four for a dollar, I could have gotten a whole run of the 80's era. I got three vintage comics and the rest were dollar comics, which totaled 43 all told.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    AMC Heroes Episode 12 - New ANT-MAN Pics, Batman Rides Jokermobile in SUICIDE SQUAD

6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If you ever wanted to see Dr. Doom without his mask, pick up Secret Wars #3.
    ...or click the spoiler below, whatever.
    [​IMG]

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm sure it'll stick just like all those other wholly inconsistent times he was shown without his mask.

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Looks better than that time he fixed it with Wanda's powers...
    [​IMG]

:p

JoinTheSchwarz and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

Interesting. You'd think Doom God would look like the way he did in the original 1980s Secret Wars.

[​IMG]

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I always liked the idea that there are no scars, or it was a tiny scar, but Doom thinks that he's a hideous C.H.U.D. and it is all psychological.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I also like that idea. The psychological problems of a character always helps to create depth and motive to the character. And for Doom, it creates the dynamic of this evil genius with pretty much an entire country at his disposal but yet is still crippled at the site of his own face. Too bad the cinematic version of the character will be limited to torturing the Fantastic Four.

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    There's a couple theories I've seen thrown around about this "facial revelation".
    The first is that this was damage done by the Beyonders. But the far more interesting theory that harkens back to the "just a tiny scar, but sees himself as hideous" motif is that the final incursion did destroy Doom's body just as it did everyone else, but he and Strange were able to reform him in his image just as he reformed an image of Strange and all the other worlds that comprise Battleworld. So this isn't Doom as he actually looked pre-godhood, but how God Doom envisioned himself and, thus, remade himself.

VadersLaMent and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    And well, Secret Wars #3 finally explains how Battleworld works. So much for these debates.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is it the Beyonder's secret wife?

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't leave your day job to pursue a comedy career, Dave. :p [:D]

Basically,
    Doom built Battleworld eight years before out of "the remnants of Incursion Points between crumbling worlds", and recreated what was lost and couldn't be saved; no one remembers their native worlds, they all have fake memories, and Doom works to make sure everything remains like that. He explicitely says there's some part of Earth-616 in Battleworld. What does that leave Ultimate End? **** me if I know: its Miles and Peter are obviously not the real ones, so it's most likely some kind of recreation. but I'm assuming that's going to be an important plot point in the future. But at least the rest of books make sense now.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Because I am looking up." = awesome issue ender for Secret Wars #3.

Okay, I think we're on the right track. But I kinda doubt it's gonna be explained. But my guess:

All of the Battleworld folk are recreations / combinations / of leftovers from the incursions all mashed together. Everybody did "die", aside from the good guy / bad guy liferaft folk, those are OG 616 / 1610 survivors - basically the only Ultimate characters who survived are The Maker & Miles Morales. So there's two Miles Morales / Peter Parker kicking around (technically make that three Peter Parkers because 1610 / Ultimate Peter Parker came back a while ago in USM.) So the "Ultimate End" folk are Battleworld versions but not "real" ones. They're all dead. But back again.

It gets a little tricky that in Ultimate End the characters are remembering things that happened in USM but it does kinda track. The Ultimate and 616 Universe did have all those things happen to them and then they blew up but came back together by God Doom. They just don't remember "dying". They remember "the world before" because Battleworld New York - where 616 & 1610 are merged - seems to be a pretty exact recreation of "the world before" right up to when they went ka-blewy.

So also I'm guessing the Spider-Man in "Renew Your Vows" is a Battleworld recreation even though 616 OG Peter Parker is also on the liferaft.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    RNV Peter is an alternate universe Spidey (or a recreation of that Spidey) that we met in Spider-Verse, and whose short story ended with "see him again this summer in Secret Wars!".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just finished reading Renew Your Vows Spider-Man and I'm either slightly more confused / more clear. Basically, every book - like Battleworld - is in it's own continuity bubble because the "Vows" Spider-Man can't be the "Ultimate End" Spider-Man, basically because
    in "Renew Your Vows", the Avengers and the X-Men are all dead and Peter Parker quit and we see the 616 Avengers in "Ultimate End" and 616 Peter Parker. Same deal with Cyclops, actually, Phoenix Cyke is in Secret Wars #3 but he's also in Ultimate End, not Phoenix'd. Also, to my knowledge, there's two Steve Rogers at least, the World War Hulk one and the one that died in Renew Your Vows. Also there was a completely different 616 Hulk than the one we see in "Ultimate End". So there's no connection between "Renew Your Vows" and "Ultimate End" aside from the reason things done gone wacky is the world ended in "Secret Wars #1" and Doom put it back together sideways.

Basically, Battleworld's zones are all their own thing except for New York which seems to be about seven continuities crushed ontop of each other. But only in Ultimate End is the 616 / 1610 continuities are merging in "Ultimate End", basically taking off from where USM left off.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I told you! He's a character from Spider-Verse! RNV has nothing to do with 616. Battleworld is made out of pieces of realities. One of them happened to be the one that contained him.

I'm thinking that everyone from 616 and 1610 is dead, but the people in the rafts, Strange and Doom.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth-Lando like this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So veering away from the fascinating discussion over Marvels latest "not-a-reboot-cash-grabbing-atrocity"...so Superman's outing? What's up with that? Why in the actual **** did nuLois do that?

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    No, let's not veer away from that.

I was pleasantly surprised by Greg Land art in Future Imperfect: did he remember his CrossGen roots and stop tracing? Or is he just being more subtle about it?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

From a couple of pages ago:

And as for how Battleworld was formed, I figured correctly as I read the Avengers and New Avengers issues leading up to Secret Wars as well as reading the first issue to the original Secret Wars series. I figured that :

In the Avengers and New Avengers issues leading up to Secret Wars we see:

Doom building a religion and creating the Black Swans and working with Molecule Man to take on the Beyonders.

[​IMG]

and then we see Strange discover that Doom is the God, Rabum Alal.

[​IMG]

leading to

[​IMG]

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I do recall those posts. So Lois just did that why? Pure thoughtlesness for the sake of a scoop?

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's not so much thoughtlessness as she doesn't really care about what Clark wants. "Thoughtlessness" has connotations of after the fact sympathy. :p

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, there has not been any real explanation why Lois exposed Superman's alter ego yet, as the reveal was from a secondary source on a single panel from the Free Comic Book Day issue called Divergent. The later issues have yet to be released.

[​IMG]

But yeah, basically fans feel that Lois just exposed Superman's identity for a scoop as they're just co-workers in the New52.