main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Picked up about 2 weeks worth of books today (Utlimate End, Saga, Walking Dead, Archie vs. Predator, 2099) was tad irked my comic book guy didn't put aside "Old Man Logan #2" (did score a copy anyway). I added it to my list he's all "oh, I've lost the list" but said he'd add it now. So hopefully he'll remember. #comicbookgeekpulllistproblems

DarthMane2 likes this.
  2. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    *wrong thread*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I tried to do a pull list once and found that I'm too set in my ways to rely on that for newer comics. This was when I was making my return back in 07. So I just stuck with the old way that I was used to.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Pull lists and I do not mix well. And if I did not pre-order, the only way to have an in store pull list at the store I used to frequent is to pay full price and 'subscribe' to 10 comics a month. With the current price point and nothing keeping my interest, that's 100% out of the question.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The comic shop I used to go to during my undergraduate years had a fantastic pulllist policy where it was no obligation, they'd hold things for you for about a month, your issues were prioritized, they would pull relevant unnecessary miniseries, and all your issues came with a free backing board and polybag. They were aware they were beginning to compete with digital and piracy, so they went out of their way to provide good service to make sure you kept coming back. And, I mean, it worked; I was a loyal customer until I moved.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That sounded like a great shop. My former shop has been this way for many years, they used to pull for free when I first went there but the bigger they get the less customer friendly they are. But they're doing gang buster business anyway. [face_dunno]

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Whooo, yah! Pichelli was the original Miles USM artist so it's grand to see her back. The article mentions that Peter Parker will be his "mentor" however, also of note, the book is called "Spider-Man" not "The Amazing Spider-Man" (and I'm also sure Pichelli wouldn't keep the biweekly pace of the ASM book has been doing for years). So I highly doubt Miles is replacing Peter, but we're going to have both "Spider-Man" and "The Amazing Spider-Man" (which I would have gotten anyway.)

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    And with Bachalo drawing it it becomes something of a must-read for me. Aaron is the lesser draw for me, as I've only really read his Thor, which I have mixed feelings about.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well you can now read all DH collected and GN on comixology.

No new single issue, but once DH finally understands they can make money on digital I'm sure they'll give in.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Which is a shame that they're less considerate with their regular customers, much less the new ones. The ones in my area seem to be able to balance things out from what I've been observing over the last eight years.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Even with Aaron writing and Bachalo on art, I'm not sure I'll be picking up Dr. Strange on a monthly basis. Maybe just the first issue.

I hope Bendis brings Ganke over for Spider-man as he's Miles' Foggy.

The comics on my pull list are Spider-Man, Batman, Harley Quinn and Saga. There are several comic shops in my area that I can go to if I need an issue of a particular comic.

I've been trying to cut down the amount of comics I buy. Since 2006, I acquired about 25 short boxes worth of comic books. I'm down to about 18 now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Gaaah, that Doctor Strange team was nothing like I hoped. :( SKIP.

darth-sinister, indeed. I am glad you and other readers here have shops who still put customers first.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

I can't even see myself selling my stuff.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    thinking of adding just onnneeee more Secret Wars book to my list, Siege:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/24746/meet_battleworlds_last_line_of_defense_in_siege_1

It's all set at that (Game of Thrones wall rip off) the Wall and that is honestly my favourite thing so far about Secret Wars and, hell, a whole book of Ultrons and zombies and venoms throwing themselves at The Wall? I'd read that!

Ultimate End #2 was good, even if the Thors basically just showed up and said, kinda, "Yes, this is set in Secret Wars but honestly, just do your own thing because God Doom wills it" so it is really more of a 616 / Ultimate mash up that happens to take place in Secret Wars. And the result is we get more Grey Hulk chaos, although I think this was a surprisingly wordless issue by Bendis standards (but the two Starks talking to each other is fun) and even the characters in Ultimate End aren't sure exactly who or what Hulk (or Hulks) has shown up (there's, to my count, at least 3 different Hulks running around Ultimate End). Foreshadowing of the Punisher playing out into the series finale, as the first pages of Ultimate End #1 teased.

So there are various multiple characters across all the realms, as reading Old Man Logan #2 (also a fun read because basically Old Logan climbs one of the walls separating the realms and ends up in another place and is really confused with some cool abstract art) and the X-characters who live in that realm know who he is, and one of them flat-out says "We already HAVE a Logan!" So there's multiple versions of the same character across different realities aside from, like, God Doom and Sue, I guess? Basically the main characters in the SW mini.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Spider-Gwen is getting yet another #1 post-Secret Wars:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-stick-with-spider-gwen-following-secret-wars

Interesting note: unlike Miles transplanting to the Marvel U, Spider-Gwen is still in her own universe (frankly, the concept works better as opposed to dumping her into 616 where it would lose some resonance). So, yay, Marvel will still have a multiverse! That's one of my fav things about the Marvel universe setup anyway to go do divergent alternate universe stories. Just Ultimate is a goner (but Miles. And I'd still put 50 bucks down that Ultimate Nick Fury is now the Marvel U Fury and no more Nick Fury Jr.)

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Second Issue of Secret Wars Old Man Logan was better than the first issue and things just got a whole lot more messed up.

Read Superman #41 and got another big clue as to why Lois Lane revealed Superman's true identity. In the issue it's revealed that

Someone have been keeping a very close eye on Superman. So close that the person has photos of Clark Kent changing into Superman and therefore is blackmailing Superman into doing things. Of course the blackmailer is referring to himself/herself as a "friend."

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is still a BS excuse given how often Clark's been able to get past folks trying to out his secret. But this is the DCnU and so he's a certified dumbass.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Walking Dead spoilers, more character stuff really but

Big moment from Carl flat-out telling Rick "this world is my father and I have it's looks!" Sometimes Kirkman can be a tad on the nose (see. "WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!" in the comic, which the TV show manged to pull off much more effectively.) but other times, like this, the on the nose-ness actually does work because it's a huge moment when Carl is separating from his dad. I don't think Carl is going to join the Whisperers, but I do think he's leaving Rick behind. Oh, and also, Mega-Herd! And apparently the WD issue that drops in 2 weeks and, as mentioned in the letter col, they wanted to have a big issue land before SDCC. So, yeah, mark them calendars. Stuff will happen!

Darth-Lando likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...s-launch-extraordinary-x-men-post-secret-wars

Extraordinary X-Men lineup! Also Old Man Logan is in the group with teenage Jean Grey. I actually think Old Man Logan as "the" Wolverine is an interesting choice that makes sense, Wolverine is a guy who always seemed (and, uh, was) way older and grizzled than his contemporaries even though he looked the same age so I kinda like that his look at least reflects that.

Also, fun fact: since Old Man Logan isn't really *the* Wolverine than The Death of Wolverine was actually, technically for reals, the actual Death of Wolverine. At least the guy created as an Incredible Hulk villain who became an Marvel U superstar. Huh. So, for all intents and purposes, the original Wolverine is staying dead. Long live Wolverine (it's comics)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I love that Colossus is rocking the beard.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Bachalo on Doctor Strange will make the creatures and backgrounds the most Ditko thing since Ditko.

soitscometothis, BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.