main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Not the biggest fan of DKSA, but I did like the ending.

Hopefully with people helping him the political stuff will be toned down, and hopefully Batman will actually be a main character. I think one of the reasons he has help is because there's a possible chance he may not be around to finish it on his own.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, less of Batman acting like this, only towards Muslims:

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still haven't read Miller's "Holy Terror" which started out life as "Holy Terror, Batman!" (hence the title, it was a play on the Robin's "Holy _____" exclamations from the 60s Batman TV series) but basically as far as I know "The Fixer" in "Holy Terror" is pretty much Miller erased the ears off Batman and coloured him red. I heard it's pretty bad, which is a shame, the only real misfires Miller has in my book is some of the pacing issues in All Star Batman & Robin (and even All Star Batman & Robin still had some great stuff in it, the Green Lantern issue is pretty fantastic and "I'm the goddamn Batman" remains a fairly awesome quote for a reason) and The Spirit (which is deservedly scored). And Dame to Kill For movie adaptation was oddly tone deaf - but still watchable - which is weird considering the source / how on point the OG Sin City movie is. But I hears Holy Terror is a straight wiff so gonna pass on that.

Dark Knight Strikes Again biggest fault is the somewhat sketchy art, odd focus on non-Batman characters (With Carrie Kelly relegated to, like, barely in it) and the simple fact that it's not the Dark Knight Returns (but nothing will ever be.). I enjoy how twisted the Dick Grayson / faux-Joker stuff is, oddly. It did also give us this:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

which retroactively makes the whole damn series worth it. More of that! More of that!

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thors 3 has an amazing splash page.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yup, wonder art work at play in Thors #3. Jason Aaron's run on the different Thor titles have been outstanding, and I love his "Law and Order" spin on Thors.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, it was Jim Starlin and a guy with a robo dialer that did that.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm watching "Seven" right now and I always like to pretend the city in the movie is Gotham. Batman (and Robin and Co, etc.) was just either out of town and/or in space when this went down. Totally works, too.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Andrew Kevin Walker did write a draft of a Superman and Batman film back in 2002-03. So I could see him nailing the type of atmosphere that Gotham City is known for.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Frank Miller looks like Freddy Krueger now. Something's got to be up health wise. Stan Lee is over 90 and looks better than Frank. Rumors of cancer, but i don't know. Again, this is probably one reason he is having help with DKR3.

Wish him the best.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He's fifty eight, but not looking too good. If he's sick, it could account for why he would want to push this as one of his last works.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I don't mind that idea of the new Hulk, but I wonder if it will fly. Didn't Pak create that character? If so, makes perfect sense.

Miller is only 58? Oh dear, I do hope he's okay.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Diesel #1(of 4) was fun. It's steampunk, cartoony, looks like some magic to be worked in.
    Faster Than Light #1 was ok, but it jumped from one story aspect to the next really fast.
    Hacktivist #2 is well written. My store was going to stop getting it but since I asked for it the title should come in without me asking for it. [face_dancing]

15. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I finally got around to reading the first trade of Saga.

I loved it

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Welp, looks like DC is starting to feel the pressure, and it looks like the reports were more true than DC wanted us to believe.

5 series cancelled, Doomed, Omega Men, Lobo(thank odin), Gotham By Midnight, and JLU.

Sad to see GBM and OM go.

But hopefully this means the return of the original LOBO. Love it if the last issue ends with the Real Lobo running over the Robert Pattinson look alike with his bike.

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Doesn't DC usually cancel in batches of five to eight? I'm not ready to take that as definitive evidence of the financial... thing, particularly as you'd have to do a lot more than cancel five titles to rectify a mess like that.

18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

I wouldn't doubt if more will be announced, still I do think it's an indicator that DC will be falling on their more super-hero flair as opposed to all these experimental series, regardless of how bad the financial stuff is.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure there will be more DC titles being cancelled.

I did noticed that DC didn't have a September sales gimmick like in previous years (i.e. New52; Villains month; 3D covers; Future Ends). Not having something like this year I'm sure hurt them financially. And their last major cross-over event Convergence was pretty horrible. There's nothing on the horizon that I know about that will spark new interest in DC comics.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    At least they've found a way to keep Logan dead while still giving fans A Logan, be it Old Man.

Still waiting for Deaths Head to be announced. Potential for greatness there, Yes?

EDIT: Batman 66 and Sensation Comics also have gotten the ax. GL: Lost Army is now a mini.

I think we can expect some more announcements.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think there's potential for greatness for Death's Head. But before Marvel moves forward with the comic book series, they're probably checking to see if they have the movie rights to the character.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Blasted through a bunch of books this weekend, loved the ending of Future Imperfect and if anyone wants to see God-Doom get the bejesus smacked out of him for a few pages, it's very satisfying. Renew Your Vows had a good ending too. Siege is on issue #3 and it's so damn weird yet hopeless and the final page had a great tie-in with Secret Wars #5. Gillen can write impending doom damn good. It's funny, a whole bunch of Secret Wars minis are now ending because, in theory, Secret Wars was going to double-ship and end now too but that ain't happening. So onto new Marvel stuff whilst the main Secret Wars mini probably ends in, like, January or something. Which I'm okay with, just a tad odd.

anyway, Dark Knight III interview!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...dark-knight-iii-not-shying-away-from-anything

turns out there's going to be spin-off comics from DKIII. I'm surprised but I really shouldn't be. But anyway, I think this is gonna be good, if only for Andy Kubert doing his best 80s-era Frank Miller impression, which should be a blast to see.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Bought CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE issue 1. Pretty great. Not the biggest fan of Loeb, but he seems to be in his comfort zone here. Plus Tim Sale art is always worth the price.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm shocked that issue is out, wasn't it first being worked on, like, a decade ago or something?