main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I read the first issue of the new Captain Marvel issue where she takes a desk/administrative job on the Alpha Flight space station. I'm guessing this has replace the SWORD space station since Abigail Brand is on board. Nice cameo by Rocket Racoon.

It was nice the "Saga" got some love on last night's episode of the Big Bang Theory.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was going to drop Amazing Spider-Man as his riches and technology were a bit silly, but issues 5 and 6 convinced me to keep going. The cover art by Alex Ross is great too. I have to say I like the costume color changes for Cloak and Dagger and I hope they keep them despite their current symbology.

There is an advert for Hyperion #1. Also a Mockingbird #1. And Black Widow #1. And "International Iron Man." Sweet.

Uncanny X-men 3 delivered again. Sweet shot/pose of Magneto in his forcefield bubble.

I bet right wingers are hating the current Cap storyline. It's all about to big to fail corporations and uses the Serpent Society to show what snakes they are.

Rocket Raccoon and Groot #2? Groot gets a translator.

Off to get backing boards today.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    ugh, I either missed it or my usual location just didn't have it. But I grabbed Spider-man #1 starring Miles Morales. Also Guardians Of Infinity #3.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Flipping through old comics as I bag and board them and I find an advert for:

[​IMG]

You know you want him to have his own movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I really liked Spider-Man #1. There is an acknowledgements page at the end where it says the artist, Sara Pichelli is good at the acting of the characters and I happily agree.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It can be. But it is also a painstaking process depending on the size of the collection. Or if you're like me trying to create a single, unified timeline with all of my DC collection. On my DC side I've got it set up like this:

-"The Man Of Steel" #1 and #2
    -The Adventures Of Superman Annual #7
    -"Batman: Year One"
    -"Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper"
    -"Batman: Shaman"
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #89
    -"Batman & The Mad Monk" #1, #3 and #5.
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #50
    -"Batman: Gothic"
    -"The Man Of Steel" #3
    -Superman Annual #7, Superman In Action Comics Annual #7, Superman: The Man Of Steel Annual #4, Batman Annual #14 and #19, Detective Comics Featuring Batman Annual #8 and Batman: Shadow Of The Bat Annual #4.
    -Showcase #4 (reprint)
    -Showcase #22 (reprint)
    -"Batman: Prey"
    -"The Man Of Steel" #4
    -The Brave And The Bold #28 (reprint)
    -"JLA: Year One"
    -"Batman: Venom"
    -Superman Annual #1
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #69 and #70
    -Action Comics Annual #1
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #80-82.
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #85
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #76-78
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #95-97
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #28
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #0
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #42 and #43.
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #83 and #84.
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #79.
    -"Going Sane"
    -Robin Annual #4
    -"Robin: Year One" #1
    -Legends Of The Dark Knight #37 and #38.
    -"The Man Of Steel" #5
    -Detective Comics #327 (reprint)
    -"Batman: Tales Of The Demon"
    -"Crisis On Infinite Earths" #1, #3-4, #9-11.
    -"The Man Of Steel" #6

Then the present day era stories, with Elseworlds tales and "Watchtower" placed after the main run. Except for "Kingdom Come" which is placed near "Thy Kingdom Come". My Marvel collection is similar, but different.

-The "Minus One" issues of the Spider-Man books, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men and Wolverine from 1997.
    -"Spider-Man: Chapter One" #1
    -The Incredible Hulk #1 (reprint)
    -"Professor Xavier And The X-Men" #3 and #4
    -Spider-Man Classics #3 and #4
    -Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #1-6, #8-9, #15 and #17.
    -Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man #178-179, #264-265, #226, #254, #212-213, #262-263, #255, #228-229, #240, #256, #230, #258, #228, #245, #259-261, #266-275, #246, #276, #277, #282-284.
    -Spectacular Spider-Man #87.
    -Marvel Super-Heroes #76.
    -Incredible Hulk #169, #291, #315, #318 (reprint), #319 (reprint), #321-323.
    -Marvel Team-Up #5.
    -X-Men Classic #35-38, #43-44, #75 and #79.

Then it is all the modern stuff that I have from 1988 on.

Dagobahsystem and VadersLaMent like this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I remember I had all the marquee comic book issues in the 1980s but I gave them all to my friend who's father had passed away and had to move. He was a bigger collector of comics than I was at the time. I spotted him on Myspace years ago and did the usual catch up thing and then asked him about the comics I gave him and he said he ended up giving them away because of storage issues. I didn't bother talking to him after that. That collection included all four issues of the limited series of Wolverine, the Dark Phoenix Saga and so on, The Dark Knight Returns, Secret Wars, first appearance of Spidey in the black costume, etc. All of those issues were neatly bagged and boarded.

What I remember about collecting comics in those days what that I didn't know what the covers would look before they hit the stores, so it was always a nice treat to see for the first time on printed paper. They were truly works of art.

VadersLaMent and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Today's haul; All New X-Men 4, All Knew Wolverine 5, Guardians of the Galaxy 5, Low 11 which is too long in coming, Old man Logan 2, Steam Wars 2 which I only got for the hell of it though I don't own the first issue. And they gave me a Marvel free preview and I got another pack of backing boards.

I love comic book day. :*

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's a bit harsh to stop talking to him because of that. Well, I'm assuming that's the reason.

Bravo on getting them when they came out. I liked getting "Marvel Tales" since it saved me on buying trades and was advantageous when comic stores were few and far between where I lived at the time. I was able to get the Amazing Spider-Man issues with the original Hobgoblin and the Symbiote. So I definitely feel for you losing out on the original printings.

A few years back, I would save the covers for the comics that I liked and crop out the text as much as possible. These were the ones from the 80's and 90's era, back before online solicits would come out without the titles and credits on the front.

I love Free Comic Book Day. Especially getting free stuff. This is me at 8:59 A.M. in the morning on FCBD.

[​IMG]

This is me after I come home.

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it was a bit harsh and a knee jerk reaction. I do regret just dropping off like that. I doubt he'd ever reply to me if I tried contacting him again. My bad.

Not a whole lot of comics from this weeks pull, here they are:

Batman #49
    Harley's Little Black Book #2
    All-New Wolverine #5
    All-New X-Men #4
    Ms. Marvel #4
    Old Man Logan #2

I read Ms. Marvel #2 on the way to work this morning and I like how she's taking on gentrification.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Apparently, in the least shocking comics development since "The only named character who isn't a villain or police chief in this story about a Bat-man is the Bat-man," Jughead is asexual. That said, I'm sure any similarly asexual fellows named Forsythe are as weirded out as I was when a gay guy named Kevin showed up. And also I pity them because... I mean, "Forsythe," really? I'm so sorry.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jughead only loves food. Makes sense.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Old man Logan 2 is quite awesome. But if you start to read some battle he may have in the future against some street level character like Daredevil or lady Deathstrike or Sabertooth and such, forget this issue exists because one might wonder how anyone can stand against such invulnerability. I mean this issue is fun and good, but so was X-Men 205 where where Lady Deathstrike and a few dudes with large blaster weapons gave him a bloody run for his money.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So THAT's where Oliver Queen's awesome goatee went! Bad hipster Shaggy! BTW this and Marvel finally doing something marginally right with Bucky (leading Thunderbolts but I couldn't give a crap about the rest of the T-Bolt team here or the art etc) um... wow.

I think I'll go into back into stasis now. At least Moon Knight is launching in April, but I'll probably wait until it's collected.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So, Steam Wars 2 maybe had one SW-like character and the cover does not represent anything within it. I love the Fett cover and shall put it with some other Fett collectibles but the comic itself is nothing.

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Holy crap, Moon Knight is $4.99 now... :rolleyes: Geez, you have to be as rich as Spector is to buy a damn copy. Thanks, Marvel.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [Hank]$75 on comic books and comic book accessories.[/Hill]

Extraordianry X-Men 7
    Tomb Raider 1
    The Mighty Thor 4
    Darth Vader 15 just because I bought 16 last week.
    Star Lord 4
    Squadron Supreme 4. And I just realized as I typed that there is supposed to be a SS #3 today as well for whatever logistics reason and I didn't see it. HSHDUYY&*^DW&BT&DBSWDGHJ!!!!!
    Amazing Spider-Man 8
    Power Man and Iron Fist 1...this had better be good after they destroyed what Brubaker did and replaced it with some of the worst stuff ever.
    Lucifer 3
    Huck 4
    Avengers Standoff 1

100 boards, 100 bags, half dozen dividers.

And out the damne door I go to get my SS #3.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Got it.

Anyway, kinda pissed about the Iron Fist cover. The variants are cool but I don't intend to pay $20 for every new #1.

Interesting invite card for a Avengers Standoff launch party. It says "The return of Steve Rogers Captain America". So I guess Falcon was just carrying the shield while Steve carried S.H.I.E.L.D.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Saturday, I was able to get "Crisis On Infinite Earths" #7 and 8 for nine dollars each from Half Price Books. Cheaper than what's in the comic book stores.

Ouch. Even I don't spend that much. Though back in the day, I did get up to about fifty to sixty when "DC Vs Marvel" and "Age of Amalgam" came out. I was getting my regular haul, plus the twelve one shots for Amalgam.

That's why I only saved the variant covers to my Photobucket. Most of the time I'd just get whatever's available. The only time I went for specific covers was "Final Crisis" and "New Krypton". Didn't always succeed in the former, but I did well over all.

More like, "We've got to tie into the movie so that people don't know that other things happen like replacing characters."

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Marvel has said that Steve and Sam will both be Captain America at the same time (works for Hawkeye I guess) and Sam will continue to hold the shield. Looks to me like Marvel is letting fans vote with their wallet as to which one will stick around long term.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It mainly hit 75 bucks because of the boards and bags and dividers(I bought expensive dividers) but yeah it was a big week.

I did splurge on a Star Wars 31 Fett variant for $20 at a con. Once.

Yeah, when a couple strangers and I spoke about it we agreed it was because of the film coming up.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I just read Wonder Woman #48 and it was horrible. It was very Saturday morning cartoon like, with the villain being a Russian scientist calling herself Dr. Poison. And course when Wonder Woman foils her to plan to blow up the president of the US with a bomb, she says "You won this round Wonder Woman." [face_sick]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, I see. I missed where you said that about dividers. I don't use them.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    In their own separate comics the Squadron Supreme is in Weird World and so are the X-Men, Extraordinary version. Hyperion is stuck in a writer's need to not have him be so powerful mode even before going into Weird World while fighting Cap and gang.

If not for Thor Extraordinary X-men would be my favorite title. Magik just got handed a premonition her future might not be so bright and I wonder if that is going to mean her darkside version is on the way.

I am a long time fan of Iron Fist though the original run of Power Man and Iron Fist was kinda silly most of the time. I do like this new #1 for the most part. Variant Cover evil here though. The normal cover sucks. There are several variant covers and they are quite good. But I don't think I should have to pay $20 for one. Want variants? Fine. But make the regular cover good or great too please.

Before and after Secret Wars Jane Foster Thor has just been wonderful. And this #4 is no different. And what an ending! I hope Foster gets a nice long run if this is the quality that is gonna be delivered.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Whoa:

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.