main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

Uncanny X-Men 5
    The Ultimates 5
    Power Man and Iron Fist 2, why does Iron Fist look like a drooling idiot?
    Hyperion 1
    New Avengers 8 just for the Standoff.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here's my list of comic from this week's pull:

Batman #50
    Harley Quinn #26
    Wonder Woman #50

Hyperion #1
    Uncanny X-Men #5

From that list, I'd say I'm most looking forward to Batman #50 as Bruce Wayne is finally going to return as Batman. Jim Gordon was cool filling in the role as Batman, but I'm glad Bruce Wayne will be dawning the cape and cowl again. I'm going to miss Snyder and Capullo on Batman. I'll probably follow Snyder on Detective.

I've caught up on Extraordinary X-Men and it's my favorite onging X-Men title. It feels like the older series, but Scott's character took a nose dive. I'm still waiting for the books to reveal what happened to Scott.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I've thought about grabbing a DC issue here and there, and I do read Lucifer, but if they are just going to reboot soon I'll wait.

Yeah, Extraordinary X-Men rules and I like everything Magik does and that little hint about her future being deadfull is something to look forward to.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Magik been climbing up the X-Men food chain for quite awhile. I think her character was used really well as part of Cyclops' X-Men team. She's a great source of transportation and I'm glad they didn't her to the side like Hope Summers. Also Extraordinary X-Men, young Jean Grey isn't as annoying.

Second favorite X-Book right not is Uncanny. I'm only three issues in, but like the chemistry between Psylocke and Magneto. I hope Munn's Psylocke more than just a cool looking ninja. Uncanny shows Psylocke's leadership qualities, manage Magneto and assess and analyze a situation. From the trailers for Apocalypse Munn's Psylocke looks like a run of the mill henchman.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Best Magik improvement came from AvsX as her Soulsword can effect beings that are not magical as well now.

If I had to pick a favorite new marvel title it would be Mighty Thor. This whole storyline with Jane is too good.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really thought Secret Wars last year was an above-average event from Marvel, it had a cool mix and match concept and the creative teams really had a chance to run with it. I also love the first Civil War mini and had a bunch of tie-ins for that. Totally passing on Civil War II. Although I'm sure it'll seep into my Marvel universe pull of Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099, Old Man Logan. I'll get the highlights from there.

Marvel is gonna put out 6 Star Wars comics in a single month summer so that'll be my Marvel "event".

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Hyperion was a decent debut. Had you said "Hyperion vs Carnies" I might have laughed but it's done well and a great page of none, to one, to a few, to a bunch of headlights. It's an odd timeline though as Hyperion separated from the Squadron, but just went to weird world, and is now where he was when he first left.

Uncanny X-Men. What can I say, Magneto blew up Genosha and killed some bad guys. The Dark Riders were used way back when the X-factor was on Ship.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    picked up Star Wars #17 today and they got in IDW Star Trek trade #10 (last week I got 11) so I get to pack back two Star Trek trades in one sitting at some point. I actually really dig the JJ-verse Star Trek series cuz it feels like "episodes" of the show in between movies. Also they were giving away free Batman v Superman comics (must be a movie out or something) and I got Batman #50 just cuz I got the one where Bruce "died" so might as well get the one where he returns again.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do have a be plausible where possible attitude towards, well everything. You let the handwavium have its way and you enjoy the story but sometimes some writer just does some over the top crap that you just wonder what they were thinking. Ultimates has been doing that and issue 5 is loaded with it. They have this ridiculous tech of Heisenberg Acuators and and quantum subsystems and technobabble that would make Star Trek writers cream in their pants.

And damn was it awesome. Thanos! Galactus! Eternity! Fine. FINE.

I only got All new Avengers for Standoff. Godzilla is gonna show up. Yup.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Read that Batman #50 issue, not exactly the most "single issue reader friendly" piece of comic book-ing I've read but I managed to figure out who the giant guy was and Batman basically went all giant mech battle on it which was awesome and I honestly thought they were gonna kill off Gordon at the end for, y'know, dramatic import, but they manged to swerve a bit and have a few good monologues about Batman and what he represents. and a couple of nifty crowd pleasing badass Batman moments. Since I had no idea what happened in the previous issues of this arc, I was pretty surprised to see a giant monster battle inside. Big hunk of comic that is oddly impenetrable at times but I did enjoy it.

the free Batman/Superman comic by Jeph Loeb from years and years ago I had actually never read, and it's kind of awesome, if only because Superman says that him flying to Batman is faster than a telephone call and Batman goes "we'll have to test that one day." Also Metallo shot Superman in the chest with a kyroptoine bullet! (which was a bit sort of repeated later on when the same creative team created the Red Hulk book at Marvel years later)

Basically that was my Batman v Superman prep for the day, aside from rewatching Man of Steel tonight of course.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I've been buying more silver age DC lately , I'm finding that I can get them pretty cheap if they're a bit tatty , and I don't mind the odd crease anyway . And also because - ( altho I always felt this way ) the reprint editions always bug me , on the one hand the printing and paper can be better but the re-coloring isn't , and its too bright and cartoony .

I think the coloring on late 60s DC is wonderful , they put a lot of work into them .

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It really reached next level quality once Carmine Infantino & Neal Adams were their tentpole artists. The color work on their illustrations was astonishing for the era.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what annoys me about Adams' reprints is he's re-inked some of them and they look awful because his style has obviously changed , and on top of that some have that awful computer re-coloring which is so opaque and ugly .

soitscometothis likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Public Enemies". Yeah, it's not too bad. The animated adaptation is pretty good. Course, the Kryptonite bullet had been done already in Superman #4, volume 2 from 1986, when Bloodsport did that same thing to Clark.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    So some interesting DC: Rebirth news. Still doesn't answer the continuity question though. Will history be restored with some retconning to fit everything together, or not?

Will say that Superman fans should be happy. I quite like the suit. No collar. Classic S Symbol. Also way it seems Pre-52 Superman is going to be the main Superman. There is some confusion if there will be 2 Superman, being Pre and Nu. Think it's a clear swerve though.

so my guess is that either both Superman combine or NU52 Superman takes a dirt nap. I'm going with combining right now, and I have a feeling NU52 Lois is the character that will die. Thus the Classic Superman, with added memories of his NU52 self, will be married again. And also have a kid.

So I'd say Superman fans got off pretty good.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Didn't know this

The publisher’s two oldest titles will be going back to their original numbering and will be publishing twice a month, going to print as Action Comics #957 and Detective Comics #934.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dan Jurgens is on Action Comics so if you're me and... um... me... it's a pretty exciting time! Since I'm going to be using Rebirth as an excuse to get back in to a couple of DC books I'm hoping that whatever spin they put on it, it strikes the right mix of fresh take and archetypal Supes.

Also if he could canonically be a huge Metallica fan again that'd be pretty rad y'know?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dah, pre New 52 Superman was a Metallica fan? Stop the goddamned presses and bring that guy back right now!

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pre-New 52 Superman is actually the reason I checked out ... And Justice for All after years of being content to stop with Master of Puppets.
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Action Comics is going back to the original numbering, and it says that Dan Jurgens is continuing "Superman: Lois & Clark", so yes, I'm definitely happy to continue to read the Superman I grew up on. Post "Flashpoint" Superman will probably continue in the other Superman titles which is fine as far as I am concerned. Superman by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason appears to be following that version of Superman. "Super Sons" follows Post Crisis Superman and it looks like one version of Batman, as it it also features Damian as Robin teaming with Clark's son.

[​IMG]

Well, that version of Clark is supposed to be the same one dating back to 1986 and the Metallica bit was in 2001, so, yeah. Whether it gets mentioned or not, is a whole different matter.

He's also listened to Guns N' Roses when he was staying with Jimmy in Superman #83 and Adventures Of Superman #505.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Way it looks NU52 Superman is either going to combine with Pre52 Supes or die.

Superdad is in the main Superman of both titles it seems.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And why go back to original numbering? Well, both Supes and Bats are over 900 issues. Need to get that magical issue 1000 out there.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, reading the solicits from Comics Alliance, it seems to be a bit of both continuities. Detective Comics has Tim Drake dressed in his old Robin suit. Taking a second look at the cover to Superman and yep, it looks like you're right. I'm thinking that DCnU Superman will be erased in favor of New Super-Man. Also, there's this...

[​IMG]

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I loved Batman #50. Snyder and Capullo's run on this book continues to be my favorite read month in/month out, and I'll be sad to see them go next issue even if I know they'll be re-teaming on some big event comic soon enough. I also think this Batman, this lighter, physically and seemingly emotionally and psychologically healthier Batman, who looks like he's having a bit more fun doing what he does (and in a decidedly non-sadistic way) should be the template going forward. The Frank Miller-inspired Batman has been the status quo depiction fro thirty years, and I think it's time to move forward.

In other news, the book from DC's Rebirth announcements yesterday that piqued my interest the most strongly was All-Star Batman. Snyder teaming up with an roster of some of my favorite artists, telling in-continuity tales that redefine some of Batman's most famous villains? Sign me up.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Call me crazy but I want to see the end of All Star Batman & Robin. The last issue was never collected in the trade! And I actually liked Batman's semi-psychotic "teaching" method to Dick Grayson. That issue when they literally paint an entire room yellow just to mess with Green Lantern was gold (and Batman still had to save the day!).

Maybe keep Miller with a co-writer. I think Dark Knight III has been some of the best stuff Miller has done in years but he probably has someone putting his bug nuts ideas more into a ... let's go with "coherent" structure.

Jedi Ben likes this.