main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    haven't read the issue yet but I figured they'd get to it eventually. I think bringing back/in Old Man Logan is one of the more inventive "resurrections" I've seen. The Death of Wolverine is still the Death of Wolverine and the OG Wolverine is dead and stays that way. But Old Man Logan is still basically the OG Wolverine anyway, and I actually kinda dig the OML version because it adds that scarred edge and weight of history that was always a part of Wolverine but pushes it to the forefront. Unlike Old Man Steve Rogers, this totally fits the character. Old Man Steve Rogers is just weird. (and now undone, even though the last issue of Old Man Logan ended with his cameo)

the last issue mentioned that Old Man Logan is going about trying to take out all of the people who destroyed the future but if he's looking at the dead / statue Wolverine, and the people he's searching for is different, its pretty clear he's from a different timeline so his future isn't going to happen.

I will say one thing that structurally is a little odd izzat they keep having flashbacks to the future but we really don't need to see his family die again because that is a huge aspect of the original Old Man Logan arc, but that means all of the future stuff doesn't quite have a dramatic payoff, since that was in a book years ago.

I really gotta re-read that Old Man Logan original series, it's pretty fantastic. Just have to figure out which box I have it buried in. :/

VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ken Lashley's artwork in Uncanny X-men is cool. Lots of epic shots in this latest issue.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I didn't care much for Black Panther 1. I'll give it a few issues.

Yep, someone's a pacific Rim fan as the Gov in new Avengers made themselves a Godzilla, then the heroes went after it with a giant friggin robot.

The Bruce Lee comic is interesting. The basic idea is that he never died but was stolen away and kept in stasis and he awakes and escapes but does not have his memory. I wonder if they'll have him go meet his family who have grown old.

This Black Widow comic is great stuff. Don't miss it.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Um, Winter Soldier anyone? Stasis > Awakens, > No Memory > Still knows how fight > Escapes...

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  6. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When you break it down like this it almost sounds like Winter Soldier is a ripoff of Austin Powers...

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    LOL - someone better call Ed Brubaker out on that. :p

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Lois Lane is Superwoman

But her powers are killing her. Sort of like how Jane Foster is dying but she is currently Thor.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, New 52 Lois. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd now I don't care.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's how they're going to get rid of them.

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, I've read the spoilers about Moon Knight #1 (which annoys me just a bit), but I'll give Lemire the benefit of the doubt and wait for the trade.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

FREE 75th Anniversary Captain America magazine. Sweet!
    DC Comics Previews..as my comic book proprietor said, "DC finally has their own preview guide."
    All New X-Men 8, Doc Strange on the cover.
    Darth Vader 19
    Moon Knight #1. I never got the old Moon Knight, don't own a single comic guest starring this character. So this is my first.
    From Dark Horse House of Penance #1
    Hercules #6, this is still interesting so far.
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot #4
    Guardians Of The Galaxy #7
    All New All Different Avengers 8 for Standoff which i told myself I am not getting all of them but, well, I am getting most of them.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I could have sworn this was posted already but I could not find it. Steve Rogers new costume

According to the 75th Anniversary magazine that is a energy cutting tool on the tip, and the shield can split in have to be wielded on each arm.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Forgot to mention, House Of Penance is about the Winchester Mystery House and takes place at the time it is being built. Decent 1st issue.

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I like it (feels more movie like which is fine for me) and love the return to the original shield shape too. Now if Marvel could only find someone else to make Bucky work as perfectly as Brubaker did.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so they've made an animated movie of The Killing Joke ? I bet Alan Moore's happy !

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As happy as Alan Moore ever is, when he's not doing witch incantations or whatever.

Anyway, Amazing Spider-Man continuity question re. Superior Spider-Man / Living Brain / Doc Ock, typical convoluted death and resurrection stuff.

Dunno if this was covered or not, but the Living Brain that currently is housing Ock's consciousness - was that the Superior Spider-Man from "Spider-Verse" who is in there? Because Superior Spider-Man / Doc Ock eventually realized that Peter was the true "superior" Spider-Man (great moment) and ceded his consciousness to oblivion to bring Parker back. But the one that is currently in Living Brain, I believe, is a backup that Ock established during Spider-Verse. Which makes him a tangent Ock, since the "original" eventually realized that Parker needed to come back. I think. Maybe.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I know not enough about Spidey-verse to answer that.

Rocket Raccoon and Groot #4. Come for the D&D and Fantasy Football.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Whew. Big week.

Extraordinary X-Men 9
    The Mighty Thor 6, original Thor on the cover with his ax.
    Tokyo Ghost 6, I almost gave this up but, hell.
    Power man and Iron Fist 3. These ugly ass covers...ugh.
    Lucifer 5
    Hyperion 2
    Huck 6
    Captain Marvel 4
    Captain America 8
    New Avengers 10
    And last but not least as this one topped my list for most wanted Karnak numero 3.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Old timer here. I haven't bought a comic bok since mid 1996. I'm still buying back issues to fill in some gaps and other stuff I missed put on Even from the rest of 1996 to 1999.

These days I don't even know what's new in comic books but I hear Spawn is still going on

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Go get new Marvel comics. DC is sort of doing a reboot so that' snot a bad time to jump in. Image Comics has a title called Low that I just love.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gerard Way on new DC imprint he's starting. He's writing Doom patrol and worked out the books with other writers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gerard-way-q-a-my-883788

Umbrella Academy (all two trades of it, which he never got to making more, sigh) is an amazing read so hopefully I'd love to read more of Way's stuff even if it isn't Umbrella Academy (his Spider-Verse issue was one of my favs). And I'm a My Chemical Romance fan and I like, well, one of the songs off his solo album.

But, anyway, even though I'll probably get Doom Patrol, I may have to check out this book simply because of the title (and the cover!)

Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye

[​IMG]

DarthMane2 and soitscometothis like this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, give us a bit more detail on what you used to read, so that we can better to help judge on what your tastes are. As noted, DC is launching a new jump on point this summer with "Rebirth", where all existing titles will be given a new number one and new titles will replace others. Marvel just came out of an eight issue series that merged some of their different characters into the main Marvel universe. Spawn is still going, but a lot has changed. The pending Armageddon that was the driving force of the narrative was finally wrapped up a few years back and now the series focuses on Al's life in the aftermath of that.

Anyway, stick around and give us some details so that we can help you get new material, but also help you to find older stuff to fill in your gaps. Like you, I've been doing the same thing as I had to stop back in 98 and didn't start collecting again until ten years ago. So I know the feeling.