main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    That is absolutely terrible news about Darwyn Cooke, one of the best in the business and I've heard a lot of great things about him as a person. Seriously **** cancer.

Ramza and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    :_| Damn.

Darwyn Cooke is dead.

Darth fecking Cancer killed him.

All those wonderful comics he did.... That's it.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I just read that he was fighting cancer yesterday , but has he died ?
    God , he was such a terrific artist . :(

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    http://darwyncooke.blogspot.com/2016/05/we-regret-to-inform-you-that-darwyn.html

I'd love it not to be so but....

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I read a bunch of his Catwoman stories a while back , man I loved the way he drew catwoman .

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If it wasn't among them, go and buy Selina's Big Score - it's brilliant.

cubman987 likes this.
  7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Son of a...

I always did like The New Frontier.

@};-

Darth_Invidious and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    MAN **** 2016 FOR REAL.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    On a brighter note, I went to the Motor City Comic Con today. It was raining a bit and windy so standing in line for 40 minutes outside was not fun and holy hell was it crowded. And though I did not go get pic sand autographs I saw Lena Heady, Ric Flair, Brent Spiner, and I would have gone ahead to meet Kristy McNichol but it was the end of my day and my money was spent and I could not think of a thing to say.

I went to what was supposed to be a panel for Billie Piper but she cancelled. One hour before I found this out I took a seat and watched Daniel Philips turn some dude into a White Walker who then raised his hands like in the show.

At some point I shall join modern civilization and get a smart phone with an internet connection so I can take pics. In other words, I have nothing to show you. wa wa

I wore the tee pictured HERE This was an eye magnet as people walking towards me always had to look and several people through the day right behind me had dialogue along the lines of:

"Hey, look at his shirt."
    "Cool."

THE HAUL:

Daredevil 180, 185-187
    The Further Adventures Of Indiana Jones 1-12, 14-16, 21, 25 -29, 31
    The Mighty Thor 342-349, 353, 363
    I never know what to name this: Hickman 2012 Avengers or New Avengers "Marvel Now!" issues 1 - 14.
    Tomb of Dracula 70, the final issue, and one I used to own so many years ago.
    Watchmen 9. Yes, I own the originals but I never got this one and it just never turned up.
    Tales Of the Jedi The Sith War 4 which now completes and old collection.
    I didn't think I'd find Wold cards comics but LO they turned up. 4 issues based on the original novels 1-4 of another 6 issue series.
    I was also searching for Richard Corben's Den Saga from 1992 to 1994, 4 issues, and a comic series featuring Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, alas they did not turn up.

Almost forgot Stanch Ambition which is a new cyberpunk space opera type genre just starting. I met the author at a previous con and he remembered me and gave me a lil discount on the 1st issue and a large art print.

So even though I regret not splurging to meet a celeb or two I had a lovely day.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I just heard the news about his cancer yesterday, and now this?! :eek: :( And at only 53, but, well, you never know with cancer. Really sad news, his art is legendary. I didn't even realize how much he had worked on. Everyone knows about New Frontier (gotta go reread that later), but forgot he worked on the DCAU too. Not to mention Batman Beyond, including that 75th anniversary short (which was really awesome).

RIP and condolences to his family.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I was saddened about hearing Darwyn Cooke's death.

R.I.P. @};-

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    read that Civil War FCBD issue, I had a bad feeling about War Machine when the first few panels are him and Captain Marvel happily sharing an emotional moment. Great art but I just can't get into CWII this time. I loved the original crossover and I loved the movie but this looks like "hey, we needed a summer crossover and the movie is out so, yay." Still, I'm sure I'll get my fill of Civil War II with the Spidey books (especially since Bendis is writing Miles' book) and Old Man Logan. The Wasp back up was interesting, I didn't know they killed off Hank Pym, apparently in Rage of Ultron, but I betcha he'll come back old and vaguely Michael Douglas-y eventually.

Speaking of Old Man Logan, most recent issue was great. Hell, every issue of this book is great. Why is this book so great?! Art probably has a bit to do with it but I love how the book intertwines the flashback structure too. I really have to find my original trade of the Mark Millar / Steve McNiven Old Man Logan book just cuz this does reference it a lot, at least Logan's family. But I barely have any Wolverine stories in my back catalogue but I do quite respond to Old Man Logan version. I think it just fits the character really well.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'll be reading Civil War II. I don't think I could sit out a Marvel event. I mean, I stuck with Fear Itself to the bitter end. I just won't read most of the tie-ins.

I just read the first issue of Old Man Logan this morning. I love the original story and kind of hope that the Wolverine III movie isn't an adaptation of that book.

Here are the comics from my pull list this week:

Harley Quinn #28

Crossed Badlands #98
    Crossed Plus 100 #16

Civil War II #0
    Old Man Logan #6
    Scarlet #9
    Spider-Man #4

DC Entertainment Introduces New Identity For DC Brand

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Civil War 2 issue 0.
    All New Wolverine 8, also a CW2 book.
    Star Lord 7
    Squadron Supreme 7
    Micronauts 2. I need to reread the first one as I have no memory of its story.
    Lucifer 6. This is a good title. I wonder if they'll just keep this going when they reset.
    Old Man Logan 6
    International Iron Man 3
    Karnak 4...oh yeah
    Power Man and Iron Fist 4. I hope this is the last of the opening story. And I hope at some point they plan on moving this forward to something much cooler, like what Brubaker did with Fist.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I am excited to watch them gradually rediscover the effectiveness of their logo from the ****ing 1940s.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Came home last night to find the new Guardians of the Galaxy DnA Omnibus waiting for me on my doorstep. I just love when I forget that I ordered stuff from Amazon months ahead of time. It was a beautiful and most welcome surprise!

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't read as many Marvel events as I have DC, so I can't say for certain if a Marvel event was disappointing. When it comes to DC, I was disappointed in "Millennium" from 1987-88. That was one boring story in the main series, while the tie-ins were much more interesting. I can see why DC waited so long to collect that one.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I was so close to skipping Civil War II but I got to the comic shop yesterday and #0 had been pulled for me so I took it as a sign to go ahead and read it.

This weeks pull list:

Civil War II #0
    Spider-Woman #7
    Spider-Man #4
    Spidery #6

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Top 10 Things to Know Before Rebirth

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ So going by this, DC is just reinstating the DC characters and universe as they were before Flashpoint?

More importantly, rest in peace Darwyn Cooke. @};-

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I remain excited for Superman the Dad of Steel.

That said that "SEE, WE TOLD YOU BARRY'S IMPORTANT" line feels like Geoff Johns is still bitter about the fact that I don't like him. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    comicsalliance.com has an August list of hardcover trade paperbacks and a Deadpool hardcover TPB is going to be 100 bucks.

who the hell is gonna waste 100 bucks on a trade paperback of an overrated character like Deadpool?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Given that'll be a several hundred pages oversized hardback and Deadpool's massively popular right now - quite a few people!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No. What it is, is a continuation of the New 52, but the Post Crisis Superman will take over the Superman titles from his younger counterpart. And because "Convergence" undid "Crisis On Infinite Earths", other past versions of DC characters can appear.

People who like the character. How can you not like him?

[​IMG]

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

LOLOLOL I love that gif. It never gets old.

Thanks for the DC lowdown sir.

Hopefully this will mean all these awful incarnations of Oliver Queen will go the heck away and I can get back to enjoying the Mike Grell and Denny O'Neil Ollie again.

That said, I did like what I read of Grayson.