main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Also it's clearly a gimmick, I don't think anyone honestly expects it to be anything more.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Well duh. Cap's greatest foe has the powers of Prof. X. Seems pretty obvious how that could lead to this situation.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Some goes for some posters here on the JCC, as Ghost spoiled the twist in the Marvel movie thread. So people should avoid Ghost's post there.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah that Cap spoiler is dopey as heck but I'm sure it'll be resolved by the end of the arc. There are certain tenets that break characters and that would do that.

Cap being HYDRA from the start is a really interesting cliffhanger, assuming it is not true and just a twisty cliffhanger. If it is true .... that's ridiculous. and will be undone anyway.

5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

yeah there is WAY too much contradictorory stuff like him wielding Mjolnir that being the comic version of Grant Ward just wouldn't allow. Either he was brainwashed and is a sleeper agent without knowing what he does... or this is some alternate universe Cap

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Speaking of spoiler day, I'd wager just from online buzz that Marvel stole Spoiler Day from DC with it's twist. But as for another rebirth spoiler, this sounds actually really interesting

Watchmen being a part of the DC universe is a little befuddling but this one actually sounds kind of cool

http://www.newsarama.com/29457-dcu-...ating-the-jokers-new-status-quo-spoilers.html

I can buy that, even if my kneejerk reaction is there is only one Joker and it was the guy from killing joke but it could be nifty way to take it that there is actually three of them. Like Mistah J himself once said "sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes I remember it another. If I had an origin, I'd prefer it to be multiple choice."

Argh, I may end up buying this comic anyway if there's any leftover. My shope can be a tad stingy sometimes, which is fine, I just gets me pull list and go, usually.

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm tired of "shocking" gimmicks like this. It's just pointless imo. They've long since gotten old for me, and given Spencer's treatment of the Lang's during his Ant Man run, I don't really give him the benefit of the doubt to be able to pull this off well.

Master_Lok likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I managed to dodge the Cap spoilers as I only saw posts of "OMG the Cap spoilers!" and stopped reading. There is some kind of movement requesting they turn Cap gay so for a brief moment I thought maybe they really did that. So I was quite surprised with the actual spoiler.

if Cap has been Hydra all along it would be through brainwashing so he didn't know either until something recently triggered it. OR, he knew and was fighting it the whole time.

As I have not been buying DC stuff I went into Rebirth cold. One thing I don't like off the bat, Flash and Kid Flash so fast they can time travel which means they can never truly fail since once they start moving everyone else would seem to freeze so for some reason most of the time they are just "holding back". DC seems have this weird problem where the "fastest man alive" HAS to go lightspeed or else some other hero will come along in some other comic line and be faster. As comic readers you all have heard of "class 100" strength. Well this is normally a Marvel thing but when you watch Superman do things in tv and movies he is usually operating in that realm too. But then when a writer wants him to throw a mountain into space he just does. I think that's why I gravitated to Marvel and Batman rather than the bulk of DC stories.

BUT. I enjoyed the issue for the most part and I may pick up certain titles as this all plays out.

EDIT: More Cap.

Marvel says...

The twist had been in development since late 2014 and according to Brevoort is the actual Steve Rogers.
    "It's not a Steve from the universe next door, it's not a clone, it's not a robot, it's not mind control," Brevoort said.

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    comics y'all

BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, but while they can time travel and always have, Barry and Wally have mainly avoided doing so because of the dangerous implications of doing so. This became the argument that Wally had with Hunter Zoloman regarding going back so that he wouldn't be crippled, which then lead to his becoming Zoom. Most of the time travel that Barry and Wally did was going to the future, which was only from time to time and mainly to deal with the Reverse Flash. "Flashpoint" was the only time that Barry intentionally set out to travel back in time to alter history with disastrous results. Barry and Wally being the fastest men alive is just living up to their titles.

Superman's pretty much been super powerful for years and his doing stuff like tossing mountains into space or moving planets is designed to appeal to little kids, who wanted to see Superman do these kinds of things. Same with the Flash and Superman races. But overall, this is what happens when you have shared universes. And Batman is no different. He's the best martial artist, the best detective, the best strategist, the smartest and the wealthiest. This is what happens when you share universes and have popular characters.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh I understand. But I don't have to like it and can just quit.

Penguinator likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I read Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 and I'm interested to see where it goes. And darth sinister might be on the right trail when he posted in the MCU thread about
    perhaps one of his enemies using the cosmic cube.

As for Rebirth #1, to me it was just and refresher of Flashpoint and to get readers caught up on the last story arcs for the major characters and to set up the
    Watchmen in the DC Proper Universe.

Basically a story version of a teaser poster like this that brought in Swamp Thing.

[​IMG]

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

[​IMG]

This is the kind of attitude modern superhero comics needs.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I see that Marvel won the week as #SayNoToHYDRACap was trending hard on Twitter and not a squeak about the major events that were revealed in DC's Rebirth. No one cared that in DC
    the New52 Superman died, Wonder Woman has a twin brother, Wally West is back, and the Watchmen being folded into the DC proper universe

I really didn't think Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 was even a really good issues. The additional of Jack Flag and Free Spirit gave me some terrible 90's flashbacks, and there fight scene was horrible. Perhaps that was on purpose, but it's just so outta place. And when did Rick Jones become some hacker?

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Check out /r/comicbooks on reddit. It's all been gushing about DC and nothing but anger at Marvel ATM.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's been fun in a morbid and slightly depressing way to watch people lose their minds about the first issue of a relaunched book. Yeah, folks, I'm sure the just started STEVE ROGERS: Captain America is totally going to turn him evil forever, right out of the gates, because no one ever writes a multiple issue story in superhero comics with the possible exception of literally everyone since the 1980s.

Similar pronouncements were made about "Not a clone, not an imaginary universe doppelganger, not a robot" young version Magneto until he turned out to be a clone named Joseph. They're meaningless.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I really don't get the negativity people have towards this. Maybe it's just a meta thing. "We all know this is not gonna last so blah blah." Well that's pretty much every story, like, ever. With the cuddles with Carter I thought there would be a preggers announcement. Nope. Hydra. lol.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure the Marvel suits are just sitting back smiling about all this free press they're getting for their comic book, as it was their intention to do so. Hail Hydra!

Anyways, in honor of X-Men Apocalypse, here are two really good X-Men videos that I highly recommend viewing as it expresses why the X-Men are so beloved in the comics as they are often a reflect of society.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    From a lot of what I've seen I think it's mostly people who don't follow comics catching the mainstream media coverage. Ed Brubaker, for example, has apparently gotten a lot of angry messages despite not having worked on a Captain America title in years.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it's typically the non-comic book readers that have the biggest reactions to these things. I remember when the Jason Todd Robin was killed off and everyone thought it was Dick. The people that reacted most to the news didn't know Dick was not the Robin that died not that the comic book readers voted for his death, even by the slimmest of margins.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I was one of the people who called in an voted to kill him off. [face_tee_hee]

BigAl6ft6 and Ramza like this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The long term fans who don't like this are tired of gimmicks that will be undone in a few months. And this reeks of gimmick.