main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Pour one out for the t-shirt and jeans.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Years from now I suspect that Morrison run is going to be the only part of New 52 Superman folks recommend checking out. "But what happens after that run?" the newer fans will ask, and they'll just get mile long stares in reply.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Apropos of nothing, I was wondering about comics and adaptation to movies; anybody ever notice when it comes to book adaptations, people get rather uppity about fidelity to the source and most minor changes end up being fairly hotly debated. However, when it comes to live action movie adaptations of comics, aside from, like Sin City and 90% of Watchmen, adaptations of comic superhero stories are really loose. But honestly, I don't really mind. Civil War the movie is pretty darn different from Civil War the comic book, however, it does have a very similar ideological divide and they do crib some specific images of Iron Man v Cap in the climax of the movie. Batman: Dark Knight Returns has basically been adapted twice in two subsequent Batman movies, short version issue 1 & issue 2 are Dark Knight Rises and issue 3 & issue 4 (Well, mostly issue #4) are Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Days of Future Past takes sort of the shape of the original comic arc but does things very, very differently. The Wolverine is an adaptation of Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine mini but also very different as well. But we haven't really had a straight up superhero adaptation, aside from taking the shape of plots and every once in awhile a specific beat or scene.

Speaking of the 90% accurate Watchmen adaptation, which I think is a very good adaptation of an excellent source, they do take out the fake alien invasion in the end and make it seem like Doctor Manhattan attacked the Earth, which I think makes it slightly less cooler if only because I enjoy how elaborately twisted Ozymandias faux-alien invasion is. However, one thing that they did change in the finale is Nite Owl going off on Ozymandias with the full-on wall slam and his "you haven't saved humanity, you've deformed it, mutilated it!" rant which isn't anywhere in the book at all (Nite Owl just kinda goes with it) but I think it works great in the context of the film.

Yeah the ending of Long Halloween as to who is the Holiday killer is a tad ... muddled even though they flat-out end the book with Gilda directly stating that she was the one who did it. I admit, I'm still not quite sure who did it, and neither does Batman, apparently. World's Greatest Detective got that one wrong!

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

It's because comics are not considered holy literature as compared to books.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ooof, harsh. But probably fair. Aside from Watchmen which got about as close as you can get to straight adaptation and everybody constantly stressed that it had / should / would be like that. But most seem to just take bits and shake it up but if Warner Brothers had "loosely" adapted Harry Potter the same way that Marvel adapts it's comics, people would pitch a fit.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In what universe is this forum not plagued by hundreds of pages of debate concerning the adherence of superhero adaptations to the source material, because I kind of want to go there.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

hahahah, true that. I do notice a lot of that seems to centre around character stuff and worldbuilding as opposed to the plots of the films of superhero adaptations, which seem to get a pass (and I give it a pass too) if they don't go beat-by-beat, scene-by-scene. The movies sort of just take titles, a few key bits, and general plot shape. (Rises is Returns in as much Bane is sort of the mutant leader, which it is also an adaptation of Knightfall too, and Batman retires, comes back, etc.)

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think that the prioritization of characters and world-building over specific plot beats probably comes down to the medium itself doing just that - stories get recycled and retold and retconned even in the finished comic books, so those particulars aren't held up as sacred. Books, with some serial fiction exceptions, only undergo that kind of evolution and revision prior to release.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    What about the adaption of Spawn? 70% 80%????????

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Like with prose novels, comics are adapted to work in a cinematic setting. There's only been few film adaptations of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" novel that were close to the original novel. James Bond's novels have all varied in their adaptation to the big screen, with the exception of "The Spy Who Loved Me", the only one that was changed upon the request of Ian Flemming as he was not happy with his novel. The changes to the Alex Cross films from the novels. And then of course you have adaptations of stage plays like the works of Shakespeare that are either fairly close, or wildly different.

Hollywood doing it with comic book films is no different.

In the case of "Watchmen", I think that was more appropriate. First having Nite Owl and Rorschach keep trying to stop Ozymandias before realizing that they weren't getting anywhere. Then having the world against Dr. Manhattan works better than a fake alien invasion. The last bit makes more sense in terms of the fact that Dan sees his former partner killed and he goes off. I think here some changes were necessary to give it more of an action oriented slant. Not much more, but enough to sate an audience that was used to a bigger finale up to that point.

Well, that was because they were focusing on Harvey given his bizarre behavior. And this was still early in Bruce's career.

That was a different matter since the focus needed to be on the main plot, since this was before Hollywood started planning for trilogies with franchise films, rather than a film by film basis. The film kept the basic themes, but really changed a lot and made up other things in order to tell a complete story.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    When I was younger, I wanted every comic book film to be a 100% faithful adaptation of the source material. I always felt the comic books could be use as cinematic story boards for films. Now that I'm older, I understand that won't happen. So, I just hope for the essence of the characters and story arcs of comic books on the source material are adapted to the films as best as possible, which I think Captain America: The Winter Solider did really well.

Here are the comic books from my pull list this week:

Action Comics #957
    Harley Quinn And Her Gang Of Harleys #3
    Detective Comics #934
    Wonder Woman Rebirth #1

All-New X-Men #10

It's so nice to see that Action Comics and Detective Comics return to their original numbering at #957 and #934 respectively.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm just really stoked that now we'll get to see Action Comics #1000 in a couple of years.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here.

Sith_Sensei__Prime - What did you think of Wonder Woman Rebirth 1? It felt far more "advert for future issues" than any of the other Rebirth launches, thus far.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I haven't had a chance to read Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 yet. I'll probably read it tomorrow morning on my train ride to work.

I did read Superman Rebirth #1 this morning and I felt it was very meta with the Pre-N52 talking about N52 Superman with Lana Lang and the suspicions/speculations by some fans that N52 Superman would comeback. The stuff that happened in the Fortress of Solitude was very well done. I thought it was a nice transition back to Pre-N52 Superman as well as an homage to N52 Superman.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

Rebirth: Flash 1, Detective Comics 934, Aquaman 1, Action Comics 957, Wonder Woman 1. <My first Aquaman comic purchase, ever.
    All new X-Men 10
    Darth Vader 21. Since this is gonna end soon I may go ahead and collect all of them.
    Amazing Spider-Man 1 for Civil War 2. Stand alone?
    Daredevil 8
    Guardians of the Galaxy 9

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's a 3 part mini-series tie-in.

Short pull list for me today:

1. Civil War II: Amazing Spider-man #1
    2. Darth Vader #21
    3. Star Wars: Poe Dameron #3

17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Is Xmen Forever still being published? Is Rouge still "Rouge-crawler"? Ain't got time 2 read. I just keep up like how now.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Detective Comics and WW Rebirth were actually pretty good.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I read Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 this morning, and was somewhat disappointed as it's just another retelling of the origins of Wonder Woman. Moreover, it's retelling the her pre-Nu52 and Nu52 origins but one of them is supposedly a lie. I think that's the problem with Wonder Woman; everyone wants to retell her origins but doesn't really build on what's already been laid down previously like Superman and Batman.

I think X-Men Forever ended around 2010. Right now, the best X-Men title is the Extraordinary X-Men, followed by Uncanny X-Men which feels like the recent iterations of X-Force where there's a lot of blood shed.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    BigAl6ft6
    Watchmen is very faithful in terms of the look and design , and the casting is near perfect , but it's too condensed , several of the most character-dramatic points are just ruined by being rushed , both Laurie and Rorschach's stories just rush to their climax because the movie doesn't have the time or patience . Rorschach just immediately tells the psychiatrist his life story in the first visit , and Jon gets Laurie to her realisation by doing a mind-meld on her .

now some may say they just didn't have enough time , but I reckon they wasted a lot of time on slow-mo bone crunching fights , which aren't really in the style of the book .
    ideally it would've made a great mini-series , the story does require breaks to let the viewer digest things .

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Aquaman Rebirth was decent enough. It goes out of its way to point out that people make fun of Aquaman and snicker at his powers. It also has this awesome splash page:

[​IMG]

Flash Rebirth was interesting in that he has a scene with batman and the Watchmen smile face is shown again and apparently the blood has some weird radiation in it.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, they did that when the New 52 started and it was kind of a mixed bag. Could go either way.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

But like I said, it's my first Aquaman ever.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I can see the appeal then in that case. Also, check out PAD's run if you ever get the chance. Once it gets over the establishing issues "We must make Aquaman cool! Have his hand get eaten! Grow out a beard! Romantic interest in jorts!" stuff it's pretty fun.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Randomly posted on Comic Book Resources, here's a page of Man Thing beating up a Pickle

[​IMG]