main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only unfortunate thing about the Nightwing Rebirth is that the art is meh. I do look forward to more of this title though.

The Hal Jordan Rebirth was cool. Sinestro, forging a ring, good stuff.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Behind the scenes fight between, writer Greg Rucka and variant cover artist, Frank Cho regarding Cho's variant cover art gets some more light shined on it.

July 14, 2016: Bleeding Cool: Frank Cho Walks Off Wonder Woman After Sixth Cover

Wonder Woman #1 Variant by Frank Cho
    [​IMG]

Wonder Woman #2 Variant by Frank Cho
    [​IMG]

Wonder Woman #3 Variant by Frank Cho
    [​IMG]

Wonder Woman #4 Variant Inks by Frank Cho
    [​IMG]

Wonder Woman #5 Variant Excerpt by Frank Cho
    [​IMG]

[UPDATED] Frank Cho Walks Off of Wonder Woman, Citing “Censorship” and “Political Agendas”

I'm guessing Cho's uncropped #3 variant cover had Wonder Woman's bare butt hanging out. I hope to see the full version of the #5 Variant Cover at some point.

Interesting that (according to Cho's comments), Rucka has creative control over cover art. I'm sure Rucka and DiDio will be asked about this over and over at SDCC.

Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The uncropped #3 showed a tad of Diana's underwear with the skirt, but nothing really that tasteless comparatively. As is it doesn't really seem like that big an issue to walk over.
    Sad to see Cho go, he and Jim Lee do some of my favorite art in comics personaly.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Given Frank Cho's petty online antics and Greg Rucka's politics it's not hard to imagine there's a lot more than the specific cover going on between the two of them.

Totally unsurprising given some of the recent issues (heh) DC has had with variant covers going against creative teams' wishes; Rucka may very well have requested control up front.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week in comics:

All New Wolverine 10 CW2. I am quite happy with this comic and it makes me wish I had kept up with the character before Secret Wars.
    Darth Vader 23
    Squadron Supreme 9
    Guardians of Infinity 8
    Black Widow 5. Did I ever mention how good this is?

That;s it for Marvel, but it was a big DC week:
    Hellblazer Rebirth 1...been waiting for this one.
    Lucifer 8
    Justice League Rebirth 1
    Green Lantern 3
    Green Arrow 3
    Batman 3
    Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 1

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bruce Banner and the Hulk had been my favourite superhero for years (It's really a byproduct of Peter David fandom which started with his TNG novels, which led to his Hulk stuff, etc.) but I dropped off at a run when Bruce was running a science-y place and it just felt flat to me after buying individual issues for years (and I have EVERY issue of Red Hulk. Every issue!!). And I actually did have the Hercules run too which introduced Amadeus Cho. But the new direction of Totally Awesome didn't really appeal to me either, Hulk's gotta have pathos and issues. But I've always been a Bruce Banner fan and bumping him off, by a fellow Avenger no-less, seems more like Shock Value and "We really wanna push Cho-Hulk so we gotta kill off Bruce." Still not getting Civil War II and I kinda feel better for it having heard what happened, although I was tempted to pick up a 10 dollar variant just cuz they killed off Bruce Banner. Maybe if it's still around I might grab it. but probably not.

Shame, really. But maybe in five years they'll have Peter David write Bruce Banner's return, and which point I'll happily jump back on board.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    5 years Al? You pessimist!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Original continuity Wolverine is still dead as all get out and Old Man Logan is pretty great (and first time buying individual monthly Wolverine comics) so Cho Hulk with Banner being in the cold, cold ground may stick for awhile. although, that isn't the best comparison cuz Old Man Logan is still basically exactly James Howlett except with even MORE personal issues and older (which totally fits the character). It is proof of a switch that has stuck, although it's more of a technicality than anything.

How long was Jean Grey dead anyway? Actually quite awhile, but I'm talking about Jean who died in Morrison's New X-Men run who is technically still dead (mostly, I guess, I think), the Jean running around now is a timeline jump teenager version loophole.

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Classic Jean has been dead since the Morrison run in the 2000s if memory serves. I don't think she's ever coming back, especially with new Jean now being able to appeal to young people and have zero continuity or character baggage.

And yeah... kind of worrying Marvel is trying to act like these new characters are going to stick instead of just being something that happens for a year until the classic character takes over again.
    That said given Banner is in the movies I imagine come Thor Ragnarok Disney will order the comics to put Banner back in the spotlight to market the movie.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I would've said the same thing about Sam Wilson as Cap but he's stuck around, so I think they're maybe just experimenting and seeing what changes stick.

Admittedly, Steve Rogers didn't get got to help sell him (temporarily aged up or whatever but who even the hell cares, comic books), which I've always thought makes a difference in terms of reception.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah personally New characters I always want more of and am excited to see. When it becomes Replacement characters... it's hard not to dislike them until the classic one comes back to show all is well. Which as is is kind of sad as there are a lot of new characters I think I'd like, it's just hard to get past the 'replacing other characters I love' thing. Hopefully in a few years when everything goes back to normal I can get into their stuff with no worries or concerns.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Comic book gangpile mentallity, Miles Morales and Damien Wayne turned out real well (However, I'm calling those were special circumstances why people liked those characters) so now everyyyyyyoneeee is getting a legacy replacement.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

I liked Damien but for him it worked as he didn't really replace anyone. Robin has since Dick always been a temporary title. He became Nightwing, Jason Red Hood, Tim became Red Robin, etc... Again it was adding without taking away.
    Miles I have no issue with as Peter is still around as Spiderman so there's no real issue. Would be easier if he came up with a new name though, as would every legacy hero when the original is still around.

14. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Anyone else looking forward to that new Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows series?

I myself loved the original Secret Wars mini-series that this is based on (only Spider-Man book I've bought outside of Peter Parker-era Ultimate Spider-Man) and am very happy to see it getting continued, esp. since I am not a fan at all of the post-"One More Day" material in the franchise.

I never understood what was so great about Miles. I tried reading his stuff, but I find the character flat and boring. (Granted, the Peter Parker Spider-Man is my most favorite superhero of all time and the Ultimate Peter Parker is my number one favorite comic book iteration of the character, so I wouldn't've been very happy with a replacement under any circumstances, but I find it hard to like Miles just as a superhero character.

For example, in Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1, there's bit where Miles is trying to decide whether to tell his girlfriend that he's Spider-Man, with advice from two friends already in the secret; Ganke and MJ Watson. That's an interesting set-up, but the only characters that are interesting in those scenes are Ganke and MJ.

Miles feels less like the central character and more like a plot device to explore how Ganke views being on Team Spider-Man and not wanting to share that, and how Peter Parker trusting MJ with his secret made her feel and how she thinks that bonded them through the ups and downs that ensued.

In fact, that's kind of the problem in all the Miles stuff I've read. Miles just isn't that interesting a character, unlike Peter who could be interesting by himself.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Pantheon era wasn't too bad and lead to some interesting humorous bits before "Future Imperfect" and then afterwards leading into "Ghosts Of The Future". It only suffered during the "Heroes Reborn" era, but that was down to David going through his divorce and having trouble focusing on his work.

Uh, no. Jason was only killed because of that vote, otherwise he would still be Robin and not the Red Hood. Tim was Robin almost as long as Dick was and if not for Damian, he would still be Robin instead of Red Robin.

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah but the principle of Robin becoming another hero and a new one taking over was made once Dick became Nightwing. Jason was killed because of the vote sure, but there's no reason to think if he had lived that eventually he wouldn't have graduated beyond the Robin costume either.

At any rate it's clear from the moment Tim got the costume that Robin was a passing title. Damien just solidified it. You be Robin for 20 years or so then graduate to a new role.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Dick only became Nightwing because Jason was going to be Robin. Marv Wolfman had to change Dick because Bat editorial still had say over the role of Dick Grayson and Robin. That's also why Dick had to leave the New Titans in 1994, because Bat editorial wanted him in the Bat books again and didn't want him with the Titans. Jason would have still be Robin if not for Jim Starlin's desire to get rid of Robin during his run and some bozo deciding to use a robo dialer.

Tim said that he never intended to be Robin forever when he put on the suit, but twenty years later, he was still Robin. Even when Stephanie was Robin, Tim realized that he couldn't stay on the sidelines because he enjoyed being a hero and making a difference. And the mantle was taken from him by Dick, not Bruce and he didn't give it up willingly. And in real life, that was again an editorial decision because Grant Morrison wanted to use his pet character as Robin.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yes there is plenty of out of universe reasons. But the point is that's the system we have now because of all those decisions, regardless of motivation they cumulative effect is that Robin is a temporary role and one each Robin moves out of.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Spoils kinda.

Hellblazer, the original series ended, then restarted, and now with Rebirth restarted again. I only read the original but not all the way to the end. It feels like Constantine, though the art in this kinda sucks.

All New Wolverine 10, what do you get when you mix Old Logan, New Wolverine, and New Wolverine's clone and a few unfortunate robbers? Yep, laughs. Cap and SHIELD show up to stop Logan as apparently he is supposed to kill Gabby. The preview pick shows Laura stepping on Cap's head. Continuity: Steve Rogers shows up but is currently on the run in his own comic being tricked into Hydra.

I am loving the artwork of David Finch in Batman and especially the bat-Cycle shots in this 3rd issue. With all the gadgets they are bringing out though I wonder why he is not just making rescues easier by using a Bat-Armor like Iron Man.

Batgirl BoP Rebirth is quite good, well thought out. It's a keeper so far.

Black Widow will run into CW as this issue ends with Stark rocketing into action and BW's past and identity about to be broadcast to the world.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Seems like more of a soft reboot coming off the New 52 stuff (So this is the same John from JLD, Constantine, and John Constantine: Hellblazer) but I wasn't really following that so I can't say for sure. I can say it's definitely not the John Constantine I read Literally Every Appearance Of(TM) because he's ****ing dead and hanging out in a pub with Peter Milligan. Hopefully giving him what's for for the Vertigo incarnation of Shade, The Changing Man going like 20 issues longer than it should have.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's only if you want to see it that way and as noted, Jason and Tim didn't have any say in it. And if you take "Nightwing: Year One" as gospel, neither did Dick.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Master_Lok and Ramza like this.
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I didn't know I wanted that but now I need 60 issues.

BigAl6ft6, Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah. A mate posted the link, just saying Dastardly and Muttley and my immediate response was: No way.

Then I read the article and...... Yeah, so want.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I never would've thought Hannah Barbera would be a stellar example of getting creative with licenses, but between that, and Scooby Doo Apocalypse, and The Flinstones' weird infusion of realistic caveman elements... here we are, I guess.

BigAl6ft6, Master_Lok and Jedi Ben like this.